Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Bertocci MA, Bebko G, Versace A, Iyengar S, Bonar L, Forbes EE, Almeida JR, Perlman SB, Schirda C, Travis MJ, Gill MK, Diwadkar VA, Sunshine JL, Holland SK, Kowatch RA, Birmaher B, Axelson DA, Frazier TW, Arnold LE, Fristad MA, Youngstrom EA, Horwitz SM, Findling RL, Phillips ML. (2016). Reward-related neural activity and structure predict future substance use in dysregulated youth. Psychol Med. 2016 Dec 21:1-13. doi: 10.1017/S0033291716003147. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27998326
- Hafeman D, Bebko G, Bertocci MA, Fournier JC, Chase HW, Bonar L, Perlman SB, Travis M, Gill MK, Diwadkar VA, Sunshine JL, Holland SK, Kowatch RA, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Horwitz SM, Arnold LE, Fristad MA, Frazier TW, Youngstrom EA, Findling RL, Phillips ML. (2016). Amygdala-prefrontal cortical functional connectivity during implicit emotion processing differentiates youth with bipolar spectrum from youth with externalizing disorders. J Affect Disord. 2016 Oct 11;208:94-100. doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2016.09.064. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27756046
- Bertocci MA, Bebko G, Versace A, Fournier JC, Iyengar S, Olino T, Bonar L, Almeida JR, Perlman SB, Schirda C, Travis MJ, Gill MK, Diwadkar VA, Forbes EE, Sunshine JL, Holland SK, Kowatch RA, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Horwitz SM, Frazier TW, Arnold LE, Fristad MA, Youngstrom EA, Findling RL, Phillips ML. Predicting clinical outcome from reward circuitry function and white matter structure in behaviorally and emotionally dysregulated youth. Mol Psychiatry. 2016 Feb 23. doi: 10.1038/mp.2016.5. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 26903272
- Portugal LC, Rosa MJ, Rao A, Bebko G, Bertocci MA, Hinze AK, Bonar L, Almeida JR, Perlman SB, Versace A, Schirda C, Travis M, Gill MK, Demeter C, Diwadkar VA, Ciuffetelli G, Rodriguez E, Forbes EE, Sunshine JL, Holland SK, Kowatch RA, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Horwitz SM, Arnold EL, Fristad MA, Youngstrom EA, Findling RL, Pereira M, Oliveira L, Phillips ML, Mourao-Miranda J. Can Emotional and Behavioral Dysregulation in Youth Be Decoded from Functional Neuroimaging? PLoS One. 2016 Jan 5;11(1):e0117603. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0117603. eCollection 2016. PMID: 26731403
- Versace A, Acuff H, Bertocci MA, Bebko G, Almeida JR, Perlman SB, Leemans A, Schirda C, Aslam H, Dwojak A, Bonar L, Travis M, Gill MK, Demeter C, Diwadkar VA, Sunshine JL, Holland SK, Kowatch RA, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Horwitz SM, Frazier TW, Arnold LE, Fristad MA, Youngstrom EA, Findling RL, Phillips ML. (2015). White matter structure in youth with behavioral and emotional dysregulation disorders: a probabilistic tractographic study. JAMA Psychiatry. 2015 Apr 1;72(4):367-76. PMID: 25715064
- Arbuckle MR, Travis MJ, Ross DA. (2017). Integrating a Neuroscience Perspective Into Clinical Psychiatry Today. JAMA Psychiatry. Mar 8. doi: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2016.3849. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28273288
- Walker AE, Spring JD, Travis MJ. (2016). Addressing Cognitive Deficits in Schizophrenia: Toward a Neurobiologically Informed Approach. Biol Psychiatry. 2017 Jan 1;81(1):e1-e3. doi: 10.1016/j.biopsych.2016.10.023. PMID: 27876157
- Eckstrand KL, Travis MJ, Forbes EE, Phillips ML. (2016). Sex Differences and Personalized Psychiatric Care. Biol Psychiatry. 2016 Nov 15;80(10):e81-e83. doi: 10.1016/j.biopsych.2016.09.009. PMID: 27765159
- Saunders J, Gopalan P, Puri N, Azzam PN, Zhou L, Ghinassi F, Jain A, Travis M, Ryan ND. (2015). Psychosomatic Medicine for Non-Psychiatric Residents: Video Education and Incorporation of Technology. Acad Psychiatry. 2015 Mar 31. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25825227
- Oxford American Handbook of Psychiatry. (2008). 1st Edition. Eds. Kupfer, DJ, Horner, MS, Brent, DA, Lewis, DA, Reynolds, CF, Thase, ME, and Travis MJ. Oxford University Press, NY, USA
- Ross DA, Arbuckle MR, Travis MJ, Dwyer JB, van Schalkwyk GI, Ressler KJ. (2017). An Integrated Neuroscience Perspective on Formulation and Treatment Planning for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: An Educational Review. JAMA Psychiatry.Mar 8. doi: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2016.3325. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28273291
- Ross DA, Travis MJ, Arbuckle MR. (2017). Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in a Young Adult Military Veteran. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017 Mar 8. doi: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2016.3334. [Epub ahead of print].PMID: 28273294
- Penner AE, Lundblad W, Azzam PN, Gopalan P, Jacobson SL, Travis MJ. Assessing Career Outcomes of a Resident Academic Administrator, Clinician Educator Track: A Seven-Year Follow-up. Acad Psychiatry. 2016 May 3. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27142839
- Ross DA, Travis MJ, Arbuckle MR. (2015). The Future of Psychiatry as Clinical Neuroscience: Why Not Now?. JAMA Psychiatry. 2015 Mar 11. PMID: 25760896
- Priya Gopalan, Pierre Azzam, Michael J. Travis, David A. Lewis. (2014). Longitudinal Interdisciplinary Neuroscience Curriculum. Academic Psychiatry ;38(2):163-7 PMID: 24519799
The Department of Psychiatry Announces the 2021 Psychiatry Residency Match Results
The Department of Psychiatry is delighted to announce results of the 2021 Residency Match for the General Psychiatry, Child, Triple Board, and Family Medicine/Psychiatry tracks. “We are so proud to welcome this group of new doctors into our awesome work family, and want to thank everyone who interviewed candidates or helped in any way during this virtual recruitment season,” said Michael Travis, MD (Senior Director...
University of Pittsburgh Medical Students Meet and Mingle with Department of Psychiatry Faculty at Annual Specialty Night
How do Department of Psychiatry faculty support medical students who are interested in psychiatry? On May 9, the Department of Psychiatry Office of Medical School Education hosted Psychiatry Specialty Night, an annual event when medical students can meet and mingle with faculty to learn more about choosing a career in psychiatry. This year, the event began with an enthusiastic welcome from Dr. Jody Glance...
Bertocci et al. Use Machine Learning to Identify Neuroimaging Markers that Predict the Development of Bipolar Disorder Symptoms in High-Risk Children
Bipolar disorder (BD) is a highly heritable mental illness in which affected individuals experience alternating periods of mania and depression. For more than 15 years, Pitt Department of Psychiatry researchers have been conducting longitudinal assessments of families with BD aimed at identifying the earliest signs of the disorder. The latest analysis of this neuroimaging data, recently published in the journal...
Hot Publications - Travis and Colleagues
Dr. Michael Travis has spent the last 15+ years working to better integrate neuroscience into medical education and has recently spurred a collaborative effort to do just that. Dr. Travis worked with colleagues who share his philosophy from Columbia, Yale, and Brown to create the National Neuroscience Curriculum Initiative (NNCI). This NIH-funded effort brings together clinician educators from across North America...