Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Escobar-Viera CG, Cernuzzi LA, Miller RS, Rodrguez-Marn HJ, Vieta E, Gonzlez Tonez M, Marsch LA, Hidalgo-Mazzei DA: Feasibility of mHealth interventions for depressive symptoms in Latin America: A Systematic Review. International Review of Psychiatry. doi: 10.1080/09540261.2021.1887822. In print, 2021
- Escobar-Viera CG, Zhou Z, Morano JP, Lucero RJ, Clauson KA, Lieb S, McIntosh S, Cook RL. The Florida Mobile Health Adherence Project for People Living With HIV (FL-mAPP): Longitudinal assessment of feasibility, acceptability, and clinical outcomes. JMIR mHealth and uHealth. 2020 Jan 8;8(1):e14557. doi: 10.2196/14557
- Escobar-Viera CG, Shensa A, Hamm M, Sidani JE, Melcher EM, Rzewnicki DI, Egan JE, Primack BA. I dont feel like the odd one: Utilizing content analysis to compare social media experiences of sexual minority and non-minority U.S. young adults. American Journal of Health Promotion. 2020 Mar;34(3):285-293. doi: 10.1177/0890117119885517. Epub 2019 Nov 7. PMID: 316989192019
- Escobar-Viera CG, Shensa A, Sidani J, Primack BA, Marshal MP. Association between LGB sexual orientation and depression mediated by negative social media experiences: National survey study of US young adults. JMIR Mental Health, 2020 Dec;7(12):e23520. URL: https://mental.jmir.org/2020/12/e23520. doi:10.2196/23520. PMID: 33270041
- Escobar-Viera CG, Whitfield DL, Wessel CB, Shensa A, Sidani JE, Brown Jr AL, Chandler CJ, Hoffman BL, Marshal MP, Primack BA. For better or for worse? A systematic review of the evidence on social media use and depression among lesbian, gay, and bisexual minorities. JMIR Mental Health. 2018;23;5(3):e10496. PMID: 30037786
Lack of Representation in Psychiatric Research: A Data-Driven Example From Scientific Articles Published in 2019 and 2020 in the American Journal of Psychiatry
How well is psychiatric research doing including diverse participants and reporting on sociodemographic characteristics of study samples? A team of researchers from Pitt Psychiatry—led by Sarah Pedersen, PhD (Associate Professor of Psychiatry), and including Rachel Lindstrom, PhD (Senior Statistical Coordinator, Youth and Family Research Program); Paula Powe, MD (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry); Kelly Louie, BS...
Health Disparities Researcher César Escobar-Viera, MD, PhD, Discusses Social Media Use and Depression Among Sexual and Gender Minority Persons
César Escobar-Viera, MD, PhD (he/him), Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, leads the Program in Internet Delivered Interventions on LGBTQA+ Mental Health, and a National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities-funded grant focused on social media use and depression outcomes among lesbian, gay, and bisexual young adults. This study seeks to identify social media behaviors and use patterns that influence...
César Escobar-Viera, MD, PhD, MPH, Health Disparities Researcher, Joins the Department of Psychiatry Faculty
We are delighted to announce that César Escobar-Viera, MD, PhD, MPH, has joined the faculty as Assistant Professor of Psychiatry. Dr. Escobar-Viera received his MD from the Universidad Nacional de Asunción School of Medical Sciences in Paraguay. He completed his residency training in psychiatry at the Universidad Nacional de Asunción, and held academic appointments at the Universidad del Pacífico and the...