Education & Training
- Pedersen SL, Kennedy TM, Joseph HM, Riston SJ, Kipp HL & Molina BSG. (2020). Real-world changes in adolescents ADHD symptoms within the day and across school and non-school days. Journal of AbnormalChild Psychology, 48(12), 15431553.
- Pedersen SL, King KM, Louie KA, Fournier JC & Molina BSG. (2019). Momentary fluctuations in impulsivitydomains: Associations with a history of childhood ADHD, heavy alcohol use, and alcohol problems. Drugand Alcohol Dependence. Dec 01; 205: PubMed PMID: 31704385
- Pedersen SL, Walther CAP, Pelham WE & Molina BSG. (2016). The indirect effects of childhood ADHD on alcohol problems in adulthood through unique facets of impulsivity. Addiction, 111, 1582-1589.
- Pedersen SL & McCarthy DM. (2013). Differences in response to alcohol between African Americans and European Americans. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 37, 1056-1063.
- Pedersen SL, Molina BSG, Belendiuk KA & Donovan JE. (2012). Racial differences in the development of impulsivity and sensation seeking from childhood into adolescence and their relation to alcohol use. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 36, 1794-1802.
- Pedersen SL & Sayette MA. (2020). Education and training in substance use disorders: A roadmap to moveforward. Training and Education in Professional Psychology, 14;1: 47.
The 7th Annual Sleep & Circadian Science Research Day Presents the Latest in Sleep and Circadian Science Research
The annual Sleep & Circadian Science Research Day presents new research in the field to faculty, trainees, and students at the University of Pittsburgh and other local institutions. This year, Samer Hattar, PhD (Chief, Section on Light and Circadian Rhythms, National Institute of Mental Health), delivered the David J. Kupfer Keynote Presentation, “Retinal and Brain Circuits Underlying the Effects of Light on...
Spotlight: The UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital Clinical Psychology Internship
The Department of Psychiatry and UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH) Predoctoral Clinical Psychology Internship Program provides a unique training experience, in a broad range of clinical settings, for clinical psychology graduate students pursuing a doctoral degree. The internship program is accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA) and is a member of the Academy of Psychological Clinical...
Lack of Representation in Psychiatric Research: A Data-Driven Example From Scientific Articles Published in 2019 and 2020 in the American Journal of Psychiatry
How well is psychiatric research doing including diverse participants and reporting on sociodemographic characteristics of study samples? A team of researchers from Pitt Psychiatry—led by Sarah Pedersen, PhD (Associate Professor of Psychiatry), and including Rachel Lindstrom, PhD (Senior Statistical Coordinator, Youth and Family Research Program); Paula Powe, MD (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry); Kelly Louie, BS...
Bioengineering Enhances Psychiatric Research
Howard Aizenstein, MD, PhD (Charles F. Reynolds III and Ellen G. Detlefsen Endowed Chair in Geriatric Psychiatry and Professor of Bioengineering and Clinical and Translational Science), is trained as a geriatric psychiatrist and as a computer scientist, and he is recognized for his expertise in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) analysis methods and their use in clinical research in aging. In collaboration with Tamer...