Sarah L Pedersen, PhD
Education & Training
Research InterestsSelected Research Publications & Products
- Pedersen, S.L., Walther, C.A.P., Pelham, W.E., & Molina, B.S.G. (2016). The indirect effects of childhood ADHD on alcohol problems in adulthood through unique facets of impulsivity. Addiction, 111, 1582-1589.
- Pedersen, S.L. & McCarthy, D.M. (2013). Differences in response to alcohol between African Americans and European Americans. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 37, 1056-1063.
- Pedersen, S.L., Harty, S.C., Pelham, W.E., Gnagy, E.M., & Molina, B.S.G. (2014). Differential associations between alcohol expectancies and adolescent alcohol use as a function of childhood ADHD. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 75, 145-152.
- Pedersen, S.L. (2016). Persisting Differences in the Sensitivity to the Effects of Alcohol: What We Know and Where to Go From Here. Biological Psychiatry, 79, e15-e16. (Invited Commentary).
- Pedersen, S.L., Molina, B.S.G, Belendiuk, K.A., & Donovan, J.E. (2012). Racial differences in the development of impulsivity and sensation seeking from childhood into adolescence and their relation to alcohol use. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 36, 1794-1802.
From the Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology: Heterogeneous Trajectories of Problematic Alcohol Use, Depressive Symptoms, and their Co-Occurrence in Young Adults with and without Childhood ADHD
Are individuals who experience childhood attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) at greater risk for co-occurring problematic alcohol use and depressive symptoms in adulthood? In a recent study, researchers including Pitt Psychiatry investigators Frances Wang, PhD, Sarah Pedersen, PhD, Bernie Devlin, PhD, and Brooke Molina, PhD, examined heterogeneity among those with childhood ADHD that could be associated...
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Promotes Sarah Pedersen, PhD, to Associate Professor of Psychiatry
We are delighted to announce that Sarah Pedersen, PhD, has been promoted to Associate Professor of Psychiatry by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Dr. Pedersen graduated from the University of Missouri with a PhD in clinical psychology. During graduate school, she completed a clinical psychology internship at UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH) and stayed in Pittsburgh as a postdoctoral fellow in...
Hot Publication - Molina & Colleagues
Change Over Time in Adolescent and Friend Alcohol Use: Differential Associations for Youth With and Without Childhood Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)Belendiuk KA, Pedersen SL, King KM, Pelham WE and Molina BSPsychology of Addictive Behaviors, 2015, Published OnlineIndividuals with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are at increased risk for experiencing alcohol-related problems by...
Sarah Pedersen, PhD Selected for Membership in Alcohol Medical Scholars Program
Dr. Sarah Pedersen, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, has been invited to join the national Alcohol Medical Scholars Program. She is one of five new individuals selected to participate in this prestigious program. The mission of the Alcohol Medical Scholars Program is to promote optimal education in medical schools regarding the identification and care of people with alcohol use disorders and other substance...