Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Javitt DC & Sweet RA. Auditory dysfunction in schizophrenia: Integrating clinical and basic features. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2015 Aug 20;16(9):535-50. PMCID: PMC4692466
- Murray PS, Kumar S, DeMichele-Sweet MA, Sweet RA. Psychosis in Alzheimer's disease. Biol Psychiatry. 2014 Apr 1;75(7):542-52. PMID: 24103379 PMCID: PMC4036443
- Shelton MA, Newman JT, Gu H, Sampson AR, Fish KN, MacDonald ML, Moyer CE, DiBitetto JV, Dorph-Petersen KA, Penzes P, Lewis DA, Sweet RA. Loss of microtubule-associated protein 2 immunoreactivity linked to dendritic spine loss in schizophrenia. Biol Psychiatry. 2015 Sep 15;78(6):374-85. PMCID: PMC4520801
- MacDonald ML, Ding Y, Newman J, Hemby S, Penzes P, Lewis DA, Yates NA, Sweet RA. Altered glutamate protein co-expression network topology linked to spine loss in the auditory cortex of schizophrenia. Biol Psychiatry. 2015 Jun 1;77(11):959-68. PMCID: PMC4428927
- DeMichele-Sweet MAA, Weamer EA, Klei L, Vrana DR, Hollingshead DJ, Seltman HJ, Sims R, Foroud T, Hernandez I, Moreno-Grau S, Trraga L, Boada M, Ruiz A, Williams J, Mayeux R, Lopez OL, Sibille EL, Kamboh MI, Devlin B, Sweet RA. Genetic Risk for Schizophrenia and Psychosis in Alzheimer Disease. Mol Psychiatry, 2017. PMCID: Pending.
The Department of Psychiatry’s 20th Annual Research Day
The 20th annual Department of Psychiatry Research Day on June 9, 2022, represented a joyful reunion for more than 400 faculty members, trainees, and staff, who had not attended a large in-person event together since 2019. The morning session featured 110 posters at Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh. In the afternoon, attendees gathered across the street at the University...
Robert Sweet, MD, Honored for Excellence in Mentorship by the American Psychiatric Association
We are delighted to announce that Robert Sweet, MD (UPMC Endowed Professor in Psychiatric Neuroscience and Professor of Neurology and Clinical and Translational Science), has received the American Psychiatric Association 2022 Research Mentorship Award. This prestigious award honors an academic psychiatrist who has fostered the pursuit of student research through direct mentorship of individual students or by the...
Now in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS): Dendritic Regression in Layer 3 Pyramidal Cells in Schizophrenia
Individuals with schizophrenia can experience auditory hallucinations and delusions, as well as disrupted cognitive and sensory processes that may result in functional impairment and long-term disability. In the cerebral cortex, pyramidal cells are essential to the cognitive and sensory processes that may be disrupted in schizophrenia. Postmortem studies of individuals with schizophrenia consistently show deficits...
New Research in Molecular Psychiatry: MAP2 Function Is Altered in Schizophrenia
Schizophrenia is a polygenic disorder with common, rare, and structural variants. These variants each contribute only a small fraction of overall risk for developing the disease. To improve understanding of synaptic and functional deterioration shared by large proportions of individuals with schizophrenia, scientists including Melanie Grubisha, MD, PhD; Matthew MacDonald, PhD; David Lewis, MD; and Robert Sweet, MD...