Nadine Melhem, PhD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Melhem NM, Porta G, Oquendo M, Zelazny J, Keilp J, Iyengar S, Burke A, Birmaher B, Stanely B, Mann J, Brent D. Severity and variability of depression symptoms predict suicide attempt. JAMA Psychiatry. 2019 Jun;76(6):603-613. PubMed PMID:30810713
- Melhem NM, Munroe S, Marsland A, Gray K, Brent D, Porta G, Douaihy A, Laudenslager ML, DePietro F, Diler R, Driscoll H, Gopalan P. Blunted HPA axis activity prior to suicide attempt and increased inflammation in attempters. Psychoneuroendocrinology 2017 Mar;77:284-94. PubMed PMID: 28135675
- Melhem NM, Keilp JG, Porta G, Oquendo MA, Burke A, Stanley B, Cooper TB, Mann JJ, Brent DA. Blunted HPA axis activity in suicide attempters compared to those at high risk for suicidal behavior. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2016 May;41(6):1447-56. PubMed PMID: 26450815
- Melhem NM, Middleton F, McFadden K, Klei L, Faraone SV, Vinogradov S, Tiobech J, Yano V, Kuartei S, Roeder K, Byerley W, Devlin B, Myles-Worsley M. Copy number variants for schizophrenia and related psychotic disorders in oceanic Palau: risk and transmission in extended pedigrees. Biol Psychiatry. 2011 Dec 15;70(12):1115-21. PubMed PMID: 21982423
- Melhem NM, Porta G, Shamseddeen W, Walker Payne M, Brent DA. Grief in children and adolescents breaved by sudden parental death. JAMA Psychiatry. 2011 Sep;68(9):911-919. PubMed PMID: 21893658
- Inventory for Complicated Grief- Revised for Children (ICG-RC). An instrument and screen with established cut-offs developed to measure grief reactions in children. Citation: Melhem NM, Porta G, Walker Payne M, Brent DA. Identifying prolonged grief reactions in children: Dimensional and diagnostic approaches. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2013 Jun;52(6):599-607. PubMed PMID: 23702449
César Escobar-Viera, MD, PhD; Nadine Melhem, PhD; Marta Peciña, MD, PhD; & Collaborators Receive Pitt Momentum Fund Award
A team of investigators from Pitt Psychiatry, César Escobar-Viera, MD, PhD; Nadine Melhem, PhD; and Marta Peciña, MD, PhD, in collaboration with colleagues from the University of Pittsburgh Schools of Education, Public Health, and Arts and Sciences, have received a University of Pittsburgh Momentum Fund Award for their project, “Examining Psychosocial Correlates of Loneliness and Perceived Isolation Among...
Pitt Psychiatry Awarded $16.2M National Institute of Mental Health Center Grant Focused on Addressing Adolescent Suicide, with Focus on Black and Hispanic Youth
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) has awarded Pitt Psychiatry a Center of Excellence (P50) grant renewal for Enhancing Triage and Utilization for Depression and Emergent Suicidality (ETUDES), led by David Brent, MD (Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry, Pediatrics, Epidemiology, and Clinical and Translational Science, and Endowed Chair in Suicide Studies). The Center is co-led by Bruce Rollman, MD...
Rare and Common Genetic Variations Confer Liability for Autism Spectrum Disorder
Among scientists working in the field of autism spectrum disorder research, two models represent the most common understanding of the disorder’s genetic underpinnings: one posits that rare risk variants invariably have large impact on liability; the other emphasizes the major role played by common variations with small effects. On a population level, the common variation likely plays the dominant role in liability...
University of Pittsburgh Awards Tenure to Nadine Melhem, PhD
We are delighted to announce that Nadine Melhem, PhD, has been appointed Tenured Associate Professor of Psychiatry by the University of Pittsburgh. Dr. Melhem examines the biological processes that link childhood adversity to suicidal behavior in children, adolescents, and young adults. She also studies the mechanisms underlying suicide risk and the impact of suicide on young survivors. In particular, Dr. Melhem...