Nadine Melhem, PhD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Melhem NM, Porta G, Oquendo M, Zelazny J, Keilp J, Iyengar S, Burke A, Birmaher B, Stanely B, Mann J, Brent D. Severity and variability of depression symptoms predict suicide attempt. JAMA Psychiatry. 2019 Jun;76(6):603-613. PubMed PMID:30810713
- Melhem NM, Munroe S, Marsland A, Gray K, Brent D, Porta G, Douaihy A, Laudenslager ML, DePietro F, Diler R, Driscoll H, Gopalan P. Blunted HPA axis activity prior to suicide attempt and increased inflammation in attempters. Psychoneuroendocrinology 2017 Mar;77:284-94. PubMed PMID: 28135675
- Melhem NM, Keilp JG, Porta G, Oquendo MA, Burke A, Stanley B, Cooper TB, Mann JJ, Brent DA. Blunted HPA axis activity in suicide attempters compared to those at high risk for suicidal behavior. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2016 May;41(6):1447-56. PubMed PMID: 26450815
- Melhem NM, Middleton F, McFadden K, Klei L, Faraone SV, Vinogradov S, Tiobech J, Yano V, Kuartei S, Roeder K, Byerley W, Devlin B, Myles-Worsley M. Copy number variants for schizophrenia and related psychotic disorders in oceanic Palau: risk and transmission in extended pedigrees. Biol Psychiatry. 2011 Dec 15;70(12):1115-21. PubMed PMID: 21982423
- Melhem NM, Porta G, Shamseddeen W, Walker Payne M, Brent DA. Grief in children and adolescents breaved by sudden parental death. JAMA Psychiatry. 2011 Sep;68(9):911-919. PubMed PMID: 21893658
Clinical InterestsSelected Clinical Publications & Products
- Inventory for Complicated Grief- Revised for Children (ICG-RC). An instrument and screen with established cut-offs developed to measure grief reactions in children. Citation: Melhem NM, Porta G, Walker Payne M, Brent DA. Identifying prolonged grief reactions in children: Dimensional and diagnostic approaches. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2013 Jun;52(6):599-607. PubMed PMID: 23702449
Suicide Research in the Department of Psychiatry
At Pitt Psychiatry, our faculty members conduct cutting-edge research on topics related to suicide across the lifespan. In recognition of Suicide Prevention Awareness Month, we offer a look at ongoing suicide research pertaining to children and adolescents, LGBT youth, and older adult populations. In addition, our scientists investigate topics including decision-making in suicide, the neurobiology of suicide, and...
Now In JAMA Psychiatry: Severity and Variability of Depression in Predicting Suicide Attempt in High-Risk Individuals
The ability to predict suicidal behavior in psychiatric patients is one of the most challenging and high-stakes aspects of clinical practice. However, psychiatric diagnoses are of limited value for prediction because the risk for suicidal behavior can vary substantially over the course of a psychiatric illness. Researchers including University of Pittsburgh Department of Psychiatry investigators Nadine Melhem, PhD...
In Longest and Most Detailed Study of Pediatric Grief Following Parental Loss to Date, Department Researchers Find Increased Rates of Depression and Functional Impairment
The death of parent is an incredibly stressful event for a child, and one that can have profound consequences for the child’s future wellbeing. However, little is known about the specific long-term impact of parental loss because these types of studies are challenging to conduct. Pitt Department of Psychiatry researchers recently completed a seven-year prospective examination of pediatric grief following parental...
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Promotes Nadine Melhem, PhD to Associate Professor
Nadine Melhem, PhD is an internationally recognized expert on how genetic predisposition and childhood stressors may impact biological processes in the brain to cause early onset depression and suicidal behavior. Her earlier work included adapting an instrument for measuring complicated grief in children that has been used clinically worldwide and collaborating with her colleague, David Brent, MD, included an...