Lori N Scott, PhD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Scott LN, Victor SE, Kaufman EA, Beeney JE, Byrd AL, Vine V, Pilkonis PA, Stepp SD. Affective dynamics across internalizing and externalizing dimensions of psychopathology. Clinical Psychological Science. 2020 May; 8(3):412-427. NIHMSID: NIHMS1058470.
- Scott LN, Wright AG, Beeney JE, Lazarus SA, Pilkonis PA, Stepp SD. Borderline personality disorder symptoms and aggression: A within-person process model. J Abnorm Psychol. 2017 May;126(4):429-440. PubMed PMID: 28383936; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5480678.
- Scott LN, Zalewski M, Beeney JE, Jones NP, Stepp SP. Pupillary and affective responses to maternal feedback and the development of borderline personality disorder symptoms. Dev Psychopathol. 2017 Aug;29(3):1089-1104. PubMed PMID: 27779091; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5405007.
- Scott LN, Stepp SD, Hallquist MN, Whalen DJ, Wright AGC, Pilkonis PA. Daily shame and hostile irritability in adolescent girls with borderline personality disorder symptoms. Personal Disord. 2015 Jan; 6(1): 5363. PubMed PMID: 25580673. PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4294430.
- Scott LN, Pilkonis PA, Hipwell AE, Keenan K, Stepp SD. Non-suicidal self-injury and suicidal ideation as predictors of suicide attempts in adolescent girls: A multi-wave prospective study. Compr Psychiatry. 2015 Apr;58:1-10. PubMed PMID: 25595520. PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4369422.
- Scott LN, Pilkonis PA. Further reflections on assessment, etiology, and treatment. Commentary on borderline personality disorder. In: Lejuez CW, Gratz KL, editors. The Cambridge Handbook of Personality Disorders. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 2020. p. 242-245.
- Herpertz SC, Huprich SK, Bohus M, Chanen A, Goodman M, Mehlum L, Moran P, Newton-Howes G, Scott L, Sharp C. The challenge of transforming the diagnostic system of personality disorders. J Pers Disord. 2017 Oct;31(5):577-589. PubMed PMID: 28910213; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC28910213.
- Levy KN, Ellison WD, Scott LN, Bernecker SL. Attachment style. J Clin Psychol. 2011 Feb;67(2):193-203. PubMed PMID: 21108315.
- Levy KN, Ellison WD, Scott LN, Bernecker S. Attachment relationships. In: Norcross JC, editor. Psychotherapy relationships that work: Evidence-based responsiveness. 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 2011. p. 377-401.
- Scott LN, Pilkonis PA. Aggressive behavior and interpersonal difficulties. In: Stanley B, New A, editors. Primer on Borderline Personality Disorder. New York: Oxford University Press; 2018. p. 205-224.
- Levy KN, Ellison WD, Scott LN. Personality Disorders. In: Leong FT, editor. Encyclopedia of counseling, Vol. 2: Personal and emotional counseling. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications; 2008.
- Levy KN, Scott LN. Other personality disorders. In: Andrasik F, editor. Comprehensive handbook of personality and psychopathology, Vol. II: Adult psychopathology. New York: Wiley & Sons; 2005. p. 316-336.
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Promotes Lori Scott, PhD, to Associate Professor of Psychiatry
We are delighted to announce that Lori Scott, PhD, has been promoted to Associate Professor of Psychiatry by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Dr. Scott earned her PhD in clinical psychology from Penn State University. Having completed her clinical internship at UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH), Dr. Scott remained in Pittsburgh to undertake postdoctoral training in the National Institute of...
Pitt Psychiatry Awarded $11.5M National Institute of Mental Health Center Grant Focused on Investigating Emotional and Mental Health in Autistic Adults
The National Institute of Mental Health has awarded the University of Pittsburgh Department of Psychiatry an Autism Center of Excellence (P50) grant to fund “Mental Health in Autistic Adults: An RDoC Approach.” The University of Pittsburgh Autism Center of Excellence (ACE) will be led by Carla Mazefsky, PhD (Professor of Psychiatry, Psychology, and Clinical and Translational Science). The University of Pittsburgh...
Now in Psychological Medicine: Respiratory Sinus Arrythmia Reactivity to Parent-Child Conflict Linked to Emotion Dysregulation in Youth
Pitt Psychiatry investigators including Amy Byrd, PhD (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry), Vera Vine, PhD (postdoctoral fellow), Joseph Beeney, PhD (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry), Lori Scott, PhD (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry), J. Richard Jennings, PhD (Emeritus Professor of Psychiatry, Psychology, and Clinical and Translational Science), and Stephanie Stepp, PhD (Associate Professor of Psychiatry and...
Pitt Psychiatry Investigators Study Affective Dynamics Across Internalizing and Externalizing Dimensions of Psychopathology
Dysregulated affective dynamics (i.e., how emotions ebb and flow over time) have most often been studied among people with a given disorder compared to an unaffected control group. However, this approach has yielded inconsistent findings because many emotional states are seen across multiple psychopathologies. In fact, research has shown that psychiatric disorders are organized by evidence of internalizing (e.g...