Education & Training
- Wilkening, G. L., Gannon, J. M., Ross, C., Brennan, J. L., Fabian, T. J., Marcsisin, M. J., & Benedict, N. J. (2016). Evaluation of Branched-Narrative Virtual Patients for Interprofessional Education of Psychiatry Residents. Academic Psychiatry, 1-5.
- Forrest, P. E., Brinson, A. J., Gannon, J. M., George, T. P., Perkins, K. A., & Chengappa, K. N. R. (2015). An Association Between the Use of Hypnotics and Quit Status in the Treatment of Nicotine Dependence With Varenicline in Bipolar Disorder. Journal of clinical psychopharmacology, 35(2), 199-200.
- Gannon, J. M., Forrest, P. E., & Chengappa, K. R. (2014). Subtle changes in thyroid indices during a placebo-controlled study of an extract of Withania somnifera in persons with bipolar disorder. Journal of Ayurveda and integrative medicine, 5(4), 241.
- Chengappa KN, Gannon JM, Acharya L, Rai A (2017). The Potential Utility of Ashwagandha for Improving Cognitive Dysfunction in Persons with Bipolar or Other Neurocognitive Disorders. In: Kaul S, Wadhwa R, editors. Science of Ashwagandha: Preventive and Therapeutic Potential. Springer International Publishing.
- Marcsisin, M. J., Rosenstock, J. B., & Gannon, J. M. (2016). Schizophrenia and Related Disorders. Oxford University Press.
The 39th Annual Pittsburgh Schizophrenia Conference
The annual Pittsburgh Schizophrenia Conference, now in its 39th year, presents the latest clinical and research findings to an audience of psychiatrists, nurses, social workers, psychologists, service coordinators, researchers, and mental health policy administrators, as well as to patients and families. K.N. Roy Chengappa, MD (Professor of Psychiatry), leads UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH)’s Comprehensive...
Award-Winning Interdisciplinary Collaboration Between the Departments of Psychiatry and Pharmacy
We are pleased to announce that Ana Lupu, PharmD, has received the American Academy of Clinical Psychiatrists 2022 Annals of Clinical Psychiatry Winokur Award for her article, “Less is more: Deprescribing anticholinergic medications in persons with severe mental illness.” K.N. Roy Chengappa, MD (Professor of Psychiatry), is Dr. Lupu’s mentor, and is a corresponding author on the paper. The team of scientists...
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Promotes Jessica Gannon, MD, to Associate Professor of Psychiatry
We are delighted to announce that Jessica Gannon, MD, has been promoted to Associate Professor of Psychiatry by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Dr. Gannon earned her MD from the University of Kansas School of Medicine and completed her psychiatric residency at UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH). She joined the University of Pittsburgh Department of Psychiatry as assistant professor and was...
Highlights from the 2021 Department of Psychiatry Clinician Educator Showcase
On March 25, 2021, Pitt Psychiatry clinician-educator faculty and UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH) trainees and staff gathered virtually for the Department’s 9th Clinician Educator Showcase. The Showcase is an annual opportunity for clinician-educators to learn about promising clinical innovations and the latest quality improvement initiatives. The event includes career development roundtable discussions...