Education & Training
- Wilkening, G. L., Gannon, J. M., Ross, C., Brennan, J. L., Fabian, T. J., Marcsisin, M. J., & Benedict, N. J. (2016). Evaluation of Branched-Narrative Virtual Patients for Interprofessional Education of Psychiatry Residents. Academic Psychiatry, 1-5.
- Forrest, P. E., Brinson, A. J., Gannon, J. M., George, T. P., Perkins, K. A., & Chengappa, K. N. R. (2015). An Association Between the Use of Hypnotics and Quit Status in the Treatment of Nicotine Dependence With Varenicline in Bipolar Disorder. Journal of clinical psychopharmacology, 35(2), 199-200.
- Gannon, J. M., Forrest, P. E., & Chengappa, K. R. (2014). Subtle changes in thyroid indices during a placebo-controlled study of an extract of Withania somnifera in persons with bipolar disorder. Journal of Ayurveda and integrative medicine, 5(4), 241.
- Chengappa KN, Gannon JM, Acharya L, Rai A (2017). The Potential Utility of Ashwagandha for Improving Cognitive Dysfunction in Persons with Bipolar or Other Neurocognitive Disorders. In: Kaul S, Wadhwa R, editors. Science of Ashwagandha: Preventive and Therapeutic Potential. Springer International Publishing.
- Marcsisin, M. J., Rosenstock, J. B., & Gannon, J. M. (2016). Schizophrenia and Related Disorders. Oxford University Press.
Highlights from the 2021 Department of Psychiatry Clinician Educator Showcase
On March 25, 2021, Pitt Psychiatry clinician-educator faculty and UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH) trainees and staff gathered virtually for the Department’s 9th Clinician Educator Showcase. The Showcase is an annual opportunity for clinician-educators to learn about promising clinical innovations and the latest quality improvement initiatives. The event includes career development roundtable discussions...
Behavioral Health Clinicians, Researchers, Patients and Families Gather Virtually for the 37th Annual Pittsburgh Schizophrenia Conference
The 37th annual Pittsburgh Schizophrenia Conference presented advances in schizophrenia research to a virtual audience of more than 300 psychiatrists, psychologists, nurses, social workers, and researchers, as well as patients and their families. At UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH), K.N. Roy Chengappa, MD, Professor of Psychiatry, is Chief, Comprehensive Recovery Services (CRS), which serves patients with...
A Unique Approach to Lifespan Diagnosis: The Psychological Autopsy
Many Pitt Psychiatry scientists use postmortem human brain tissue to identify neural alterations associated with mental disorders to guide the development of novel treatments. They do so with confidence that a team of psychologists and psychiatrists have systematically validated the diagnoses of each donor subject. This lifespan review is an uniquely intensive version of a process known as the “psychological...
Meet UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital’s Ambulatory & Consultation Leadership: Drs. Gannon, Glance, Gopalan, Perez and Schlesinger
UPMC is dedicated to providing access to care for individuals across western Pennsylvania. Below, meet the leaders who oversee UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH)’s more than 85 ambulatory programs and consultation services. Jessica Gannon, MD Dr. Gannon is Medical Director, Ambulatory Comprehensive Recovery Services (CRS), which provides comprehensive specialized services to adults with schizophrenia...