Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Suffoletto B, Kristan J, Chung T, Jeong K, Fabio A, Monti P, Clark DB. An interactive text message intervention to reduce binge drinking in young adults: A randomized controlled trial with 9-month outcomes. PLoS One 10(11): e0142877, 1-12, 2015. PMID: 26580802; PMCID: PMC4651466
- Clark DB, Chung T, Pajtek S, Zhai Z, Long E, Hasler B. Neuroimaging methods for adolescent substance use disorder prevention science. Prevention Science 14: 300-309, 2013 [PMID: 23417665; PMCID: PMC3640678; NIHMS447049]
- Clark DB, Cornelius JR, Martin CM: Adolescent-onset substance use disorders predict young adult mortality. Journal of Adolescent Health 42 (6): 637-639, 2008 PMID: 18486875; PMC2730669
- Hasler B, Clark DB. Circadian misalignment, reward-related brain function, and adolescent alcohol involvement. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 37(4): 558-565, 2013 [PMID: 23360461]
- Clark DB, Thatcher DL, Tapert S: Alcohol, psychological dysregulation and adolescent brain development. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 32 (3): 375-385, 2008 PMID: 18241320
- Clark DB, Martin CS, Chung T, Gordon AJ, Fiorentino L, Tootell M, Rubio DM. Screening for underage drinking and DSM-5 alcohol use disorder in rural primary care practice. The Journal of Pediatrics 173, 214-220, 2016. PMID: 2705991; PMCID: PMC4884494
- Clark DB. Pharmacotherapy for adolescent alcohol use disorder. CNS Drugs 26(7): 559-569, 2012 [PMID: 22676261]
- Clark DB, Moss HB: Providing alcohol-related screening and brief interventions to adolescents through health care systems: Obstacles and solutions. PLoS Medicine 7(3): 1-4, 2010 [e1000214] [PMID: 20231870; PMC 2834707
- Clark DB, Gordon AJ, Ettaro LE, Owens JM, Moss HB: Screening and brief interventions with underage drinkers. Mayo Clinic Proceedings 85(4): 380-391, 2010 [PMID: 20360296; PMC2848426]
- Clark DB, Fisher CB, Bookheimer S, Brown S, Evans JH, Hopfer C, Hudziak J, Montoya I, Murray M, Pfefferbaum A, Yurgelun-Todd D. Biomedical ethics and clinical oversight in multisite observational neuroimaging studies with children and adolescents: The ABCD experience. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience (in press) PMID: 28716389
New Research in Psychological Medicine and Human Brain Mapping on the Effects of Disrupted Sleep and Early Life Stress in Young People
Psychological Medicine: Experimentally Imposed Circadian Misalignment Alters the Neural Response to Monetary Rewards and Response Inhibition in Healthy Adolescents During adolescence, circadian rhythm and natural sleep and wake times shift later, which can conflict with early school-start times. This incongruence commonly results in circadian misalignment (mismatch between the behavioral sleep-wake schedule and the...
Pitt Psychiatry Awarded $14.8M National Institute on Drug Abuse Center Grant Focused on the Role of Sleep and Circadian Rhythms in Substance Abuse
The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) has awarded Pitt Psychiatry a Center of Excellence (P50) grant to fund the Center for Adolescent Reward, Rhythms and Sleep (CARRS). The CARRS Center will be led by Colleen McClung, PhD (Professor of Psychiatry and Clinical and Translational Science) and Daniel Buysse, MD (UPMC Professor of Sleep Medicine and Professor of Psychiatry and Clinical and Translational Science)...
Department Faculty Highlight the Role of Adolescent Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disruptions in Risk of Substance Use Disorders
Sleep and circadian rhythms, the 24-hour cycles of the body’s physiological processes, are important components of health. Likewise, disruptions in these systems are linked to a number of health conditions, including substance abuse. The developmental changes in sleep and circadian rhythms that occur during adolescence leave teenagers particularly vulnerable to addiction. A review recently published in the journal...
Hot Publication - Clark et al.
Screening for underage drinking and Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition alcohol use disorder in rural primary care practiceClark DB, Martin CS, Chung T, Gordon AJ, Fiorentino L, Tootell M and Rubio DMJournal of Pediatrics, 2016,173:214-220.A study led by Dr. Duncan Clark indicates that a single screening question about drinking frequency in the past year could help doctors identify...