David A Brent, MD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Brent DA, Hur K, Gibbons RD. Association between parental medical claims for opioid prescriptions and risk of suicide attempt by their children. JAMA Psychiatry. 2019 May 22. doi: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2019.0940. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 31116357
- Brent DA, Melhem NM, Oquendo M, Burke A, Birmaher B, Stanley B, Biernesser C, Keilp J, Kolko D, Ellis S, Porta G, Zelazny J, Iyengar S, Mann JJ. Familial pathways to early-onset suicide attempt: a 5.6 year prospective study. JAMA Psychiatry. Feb 2015;72(2):160-168.
- Brent DA, Brunwasser SM, Hollon SD, Weersing VR, Clarke GN, Dickerson JF, Beardslee WR, Gladstone TR, Porta G, Lynch FL, Iyengar S, Garber J. Effect of a cognitive-behavioral prevention program on depression 6 years after implementation among at-risk adolescents: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Psych. 2015;72(11):1110-1118.
- Brent D, Melhem N, Donohoe MB, Walker M. The incidence and course of depression in bereaved youth 21 months after the loss of a parent to suicide, accident, or sudden natural death. Am J Psychiatry. 2009;166:786-794.
- Brent D, Emslie G, Clarke G, Wagner KD, Asarnow JR, Keller M, Vitiello B, Ritz L, Iyengar S, Abebe K, Birmaher B, Ryan N, Kennard B, Hughes C, DeBar L, McCracken J, Strober M, Suddath R, Spirito A, Leonard H, Melhem N, Porta G, Onorato M, Zelazny J. Switching to another SSRI or to venlafaxine with or without cognitive behavioral therapy for adolescents with SSRI-resistant depression: The TORDIA randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2008;299:901-913.
- Brent DA, Poling K. Cognitive Therapy Manual for Depressed and Suicidal Youth. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh; 1997.
- Poling K, Brent DA, Birmaher B. Understanding and Coping with Bipolar Illness: A Survival Manual for Families. Pittsburgh: WPIC; 1998.
- Kerr MM, Brent DA, McKain B, McCommons PS. Postvention Standards Manual - A Guide for a School's Response in the Aftermath of a Sudden Death. Pittsburgh:University of Pittsburgh; 2010.
- Brent DA, Poling K, Goldstein TR. Treating Depressed and Suicidal Adolescents: A Clinician's Guide New York: Guilford Press; 2011.
JAMA Psychiatry: Validation of Computerized Adaptive Screen Reliably Predicts Youth Suicide Attempts
In 2018, the US reported the highest annual number of adolescent suicide deaths to date. Data has shown that less than half of adolescents who die by suicide have ever received mental health treatment, but approximately 19% of all US adolescents do visit a hospital emergency room annually. In a study recently published in JAMA Psychiatry, the emergency room has been identified by experts in youth suicide as...
Suicide Research in the Department of Psychiatry
At Pitt Psychiatry, our faculty members conduct cutting-edge research on topics related to suicide across the lifespan. In recognition of Suicide Prevention Awareness Month, we offer a look at ongoing suicide research pertaining to children and adolescents, LGBT youth, and older adult populations. In addition, our scientists investigate topics including decision-making in suicide, the neurobiology of suicide, and...
The Services for Teens at Risk (STAR)-Center Holds Virtual 2020 Conference: “Bringing Treatment into Focus: Being Virtually Present”
The Services for Teens at Risk (STAR)-Center, established in 1986, is a nationally recognized suicide prevention program for teens and young children, part of UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital’s Child and Adolescent Services. The annual STAR-Center conference presents best-practices in clinical care incorporated into practical guidelines for educational and community settings. This year, more than 600 attendees...
Boris Birmaher, MD, and David A. Brent, MD, Honored with Distinguished Professorships
We are delighted to announce that Boris Birmaher, MD, and David A. Brent, MD, have each been named Distinguished Professor by the University of Pittsburgh. Boris Birmaher, MD (Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry and Endowed Chair in Early Onset Bipolar Disease) Dr. Birmaher, an international expert in child and adolescent psychiatry, has been a member of University of Pittsburgh Department of Psychiatry faculty...