Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Ladouceur CD. Neural systems supporting cognitive affective interactions in adolescence: the role of puberty and implications for affective disorders. Frontiers of Integrative Neuroscience. 2012 6(65):1-11. doi:10.3389/fnint.2012.00065. PMID: 22969712
- Kerestes, R, Segreti, AM, Pan, LA, Phillips, ML, Birmaher, B, Brent, DA, Ladouceur, CD. Altered neural function to happy faces in adolescents with and at risk for depression. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2016 1(192):143-152. PMID: 26724693
- Ladouceur CD, Silk JS, Dahl RE, Kronhaus D, Ostapenko L, Phillips ML. Fearful faces influence attentional control processes in anxious youth and adults. Emotion. 2009 9(6):855-864. PMID: 20001128
- Ladouceur CD, Dahl RE, Carter CS. Development of action monitoring through adolescence into adulthood: ERP and source localization. Developmental Science. 2007 10(6):874-891. PMID: 17973802
- Ladouceur CD, Dahl RE, Birmaher B, Williamson DE, Ryan ND, Casey BJ. Altered emotional processing in pediatric anxiety, depression, and comorbid anxiety-depression. Journal of Child Abnormal Psychology. 2005 33(2):165-177. PMID: 15839495
Meet the Neurochicks: This Group of Senior Faculty Members Provide Each Other Support, Encouragement and Good Research Ideas
“During the whole of my training, I had only one female mentor,” remembers Mary Phillips, MD MD (Cantab) (Pittsburgh Foundation-Emmerling Endowed Chair in Psychotic Disorders and Professor of Psychiatry and Clinical and Translational Science). “If you never see a woman as a leader, you risk internalizing the belief that women can’t succeed in that role.” Dr. Phillips counts herself among the Neurochicks, an...
Bertocci et al. Use Machine Learning to Identify Neuroimaging Markers that Predict the Development of Bipolar Disorder Symptoms in High-Risk Children
Bipolar disorder (BD) is a highly heritable mental illness in which affected individuals experience alternating periods of mania and depression. For more than 15 years, Pitt Department of Psychiatry researchers have been conducting longitudinal assessments of families with BD aimed at identifying the earliest signs of the disorder. The latest analysis of this neuroimaging data, recently published in the journal...
Phillips and Colleagues Find New Risk Marker of Bipolar Disorder in Most Comprehensive Neuroimaging Study of High-Risk Children to Date
Mary Phillips, MD, MD (CANTAB), left, pictured with the publication's lead author, Heather Acuff. Bipolar disorder (BD), formerly known as manic depression, is a serious mental illness characterized by extreme changes in mood and energy levels that cycle between mania and depression. BD is highly heritable, so children of individuals with BD have an increased risk of also developing the disorder, which often first...
Findings by Dr. Cecile Ladouceur et al. Indicate that Error-Related Negativity (ERN) Amplitude in Pediatric Anxiety Disorders Remains Elevated Following Treatment
Pediatric anxiety disorders begin in childhood or early adolescence and frequently lead to other psychiatric disorders in adulthood, including anxiety disorders and depression. Anxiety disorders are associated with an overactive action monitoring system, as indexed by a larger event-related potential named the error-related negativity (ERN). This leads researchers to hypothesize that it could represent a potential...