Brian A Coffman, PhD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Coffman BA, Haas G, Olson C, Cho R, Ghuman AS & Salisbury DF (2020). Lateralized evoked responses in parietal cortex demonstrate visual short-term memory deficits in first-episode schizophrenia. Journal of Psychiatric Research (In Press).
- Coffman BA, Candelaria-Cook FT & Stephen JM (2020). Unisensory and multisensory responses in fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASD): Effects of spatial congruence. Neuroscience. 430:34-46.
- Trumbo MC, Matzen LE, Coffman BA, Hunter MA, Jones AP, Robinson CS, Clark VP. Enhanced working memory performance via transcranial direct current stimulation: The possibility of near and far transfer, Neuropsychologia, 2016, 93, 85-96doi: 10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2016.10.011
- Coffman BA, Clark VP, Parasuraman R. Battery powered thought: Enhancement of attention, learning, and memory in healthy adults usingtranscranial direct current stimulation, NeuroImage 2014 85:3, 895-908doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2013.07.083
- Coffman BA, Trumbo MC, Clark VP. Enhancement of object detection with transcranial direct current stimulation is associated with increased attention, BMC Neuroscience 2012 13, 108doi: 10.1186/1471-2202-13-108
Clinical InterestsSelected Clinical Publications & Products
- Coffman BA, Kodituwakku P, Kodituwakku EL, Romero L, Sharadamma NM, Stone D, Stephen JM. Primary visual response (M100) delays in adolescents with FASD as measured with MEG, Human Brain Mapping 2013 34:11, 2852-2862, doi: 10.1002/hbm.22110
- Coffman BA, Candelaria-Cook FT, Stephen JM. Unisensory and multisensory responses in Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD): Effects of spatial congruence, Neuroscience 2020 430, 34-46doi: 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2020.01.013
- Bertocci M, Chase H, Graur S, Stiffler R, Edmiston E, Coffman B, Greenberg,B, Phillips M. The impact of targeted cathodal transcranial direct current stimulation on reward circuitry and affect in Bipolar Disorder, Molecular Psychiatry, In press, doi: 10.1038/s41380-019-0567-1
- Haigh SM, Coffman BA, Salisbury DF. Mismatch negativity in first-episode schizophrenia: A meta-analysis, Clinical EEG and Neuroscience 2017 48:1, 3-10doi: 10.1177/1550059416645980
- Coffman BA, Haigh SM, Murphy TK, Salisbury DF. Event-related potentials demonstrate deficits in acoustic segmentation in schizophrenia, Schizophrenia Research, 2016 173:1-2, 109-115doi: 10.1016/j.schres.2016.03.012
- Coffman BA & Salisbury DF, MEG Methods: A Primer of Basic MEG Analysis. In Neuroimaging in Schizophrenia (Kubicki M, Shenton ME,eds.) Springer International Publishing; 2020, 191-210doi: 10.1007/978-3-030-35206-6_11
- Clark VP, Coffman BA, Trumbo MC, Wegele AR. An Evolutionary Perspective on Attentional Processes. In Cognitive Electrophysiology of Attention, Signals ofMind, Academic Press (Elsevier) 2013
Pitt Psychiatry Hosts Virtual Research Matinee—An Afternoon of Discovery, Reflection, and Celebration
Last week we reinvented our annual in-person Research Day as a virtual Research Matinee, a Department-wide exploration of innovative research, career reflections and honors for outstanding faculty and staff. Attendees included nearly 200 Psychiatry faculty, trainees, and staff, who tuned in for plenary speaker Mary Phillips, MD, MD (Cantab), followed by the perennially popular Speed Dat(a)ing, in which six...
Study Is First to Show Impact of Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation on Reward and Affect in Bipolar Disorder
Bipolar disorder is a debilitating mental illness and the fourth leading cause of neurological disability worldwide. There is an urgent need for novel interventions that produce sustained alleviation of symptoms while not introducing challenging, long-term side effects. Previous studies have demonstrated abnormally elevated activity during reward expectancy in the left ventrolateral prefrontal cortex among...