Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Goldstein TR, Krantz ML, Fersch-Podrat RK, Hotkowski NJ, Merranko J, Sobel L, Axelson D, Birmaher B, Douaihy A. A brief motivational intervention for enhancing medication adherence for adolescents with bipolar disorder: A pilot randomized trial. J Affect Disord. 2020 Mar 15;265:1-9. PMID: 31957686
- Goldstein TR, Krantz M, Merranko J, Garcia M, Sobel L, Rodriguez C, Douaihy A, Axelson DA, Birmaher B. Medication adherence among adolescents with bipolar disorder. J Child Adol Psychopharmacol. 2016 Dec;26(10). PMID: 27419273
- Goldstein TR, Fersch RK, Rivera M, Axelson DA, Merranko J, Yu H, , Brent DA, Birmaher B. Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) for Adolescents with Bipolar Disorder: Results from a Pilot Randomized Trial. J Child Adol Psychopharmacol. 2015 Mar;25(2):140-149. PMID: 25010702
- Goldstein TR, Fersch-Podrat RK, Axelson DA, Gilbert A, Hlastala S, Birmaher B, Frank E. Early Intervention for adolescents at high risk for the development of bipolar disorder: Pilot study of Interpersonal and Social Rhythm Therapy (IPSRT). Psychotherapy. 2014 Mar;51(1):180-18. PMID: 24377402
- Goldstein TR, Ha W, Axelson DA, Goldstein BI, Liao F, Gill MK, Ryan ND, Yen S, Hunt J, Hower H, Keller M, Strober M, Birmaher B. Predictors of prospectively observed suicide attempts among youth with bipolar disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2012 Nov;69(11):1113-1122. PMID: 22752079
JAMA Psychiatry: Genetic Variants Are Associated with Risk for Bipolar Disorder
Bipolar disorder (BD) is a familial illness that is associated with functional impairment and increased risk for suicide and substance use. The disorder is highly heritable, and research has identified many common genetic variants associated with risk for the disorder. Studies including the Pittsburgh Bipolar Offspring Study (BIOS) have found that offspring of parents with BD are at elevated, specific risk to...
Behavioral Health Experts, Patients & Families Gather Virtually for Child and Adolescent Bipolar Spectrum Services Conference
The fourth biennial Child and Adolescent Bipolar Services (CABS) conference, held virtually, addressed the theme “Untangling Bipolar Disorder in Youth: Comorbidity, Differential Diagnosis and Treatment.” The CABS conference presents current research and clinical knowledge about the treatment of bipolar disorder and comorbid conditions to professionals, patients, and families, and is organized by Boris Birmaher, MD...
Biological Psychiatry and Journal of Affective Disorders Research in Mood and/or Bipolar Disorders in Adolescence
New research from Pitt Psychiatry investigators provides insight into the development of anxiety, depression, and/or bipolar in adolescence. A Biological Psychiatry study examines the association between trauma exposure, reward neural circuitry function, and affective and anxiety disorders. In the Journal of Affective Disorders, investigators study whether child maltreatment and cognitive function influence the...
The Association Between Mindfulness and Decreased Emotional Lability in Young People At-Risk for Bipolar Disorder
Young people who have parents or siblings with bipolar disorder are at higher risk for developing this disorder than are individuals without a family history. Among those high-risk youth, mood lability—rapid and frequent mood changes that can be disproportionate to current circumstances—is associated with psychosocial impairment and often predictive of future onset of bipolar disorder. A research team including...