Raymond J Pan, MD
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Orthopedic Surgery
3811 O'Hara St.
Education & Training
University of Connecticut, School of Medicine
Electrical Engineering, Stanford University, School of Engineering
Psychiatry, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic of UPMC
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic of UPMC
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (Child and Adolescent Psychiatry)
Distinguished Fellow, American Psychiatric Association
Distinguished Fellow, American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Delegate, Pennsylvania Medical Society
Member, International Society for Sports Psychiatry
Director, Allegheny County Medical Society
Selected Honors & Awards
Frederick E. Terman Award in Engineering, Stanford University
Mental health symptoms associated with concussions; Sports psychiatrySelected Research Publications & Products
- Eagle SR, Pan R, Holland CL, Collins MW, Kontos AP. Predicting persistent post-concussion symptoms in adolescents with psychological symptoms and clinical risk factors. American Psychological Association Annual Meeting, August 2021.
- Eagle SR, Gillie BL, Pan R, Collins MW, Kontos AP. Predictors of Post-injury Anxiety and Depression in Adolescents following Concussion. American Psychology Association Annual Meeting, August 2020.
- Kontos A, Pan R, Kouros E. Mental Health Manifestations of Concussion. In: Hong E and Rao A. editors. Mental Health in the Athlete: Modern Perspectives and Novel Challenges for the Sports Medicine Provider. Switzerland: Springer; 2020. p.149-163.
- Eagle SR, Womble MN, Elbin RJ, Pan R, Collins MW, Kontos AP. Concussion symptom cut-offs for identification and prognosis of sport-related concussion: the role of time since injury. American Journal of Sports Medicine, 2020, 48(10): 2544-2551.
Mental health symptoms associated with concussions; Treating concussion-related mental health symptoms; Adolescent psychiatrySelected Clinical Publications & Products
- Pan R. Role of Athletics in Adolescence and Lessons Learned Over the Last Year. 68th Annual Meeting American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, October 2021.
- Pan R, Sherry N. Mental Health in Child and Adolescent Athletes Following Concussion, 66th Annual Meeting American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, October 19, 2019.
- Pan R, Strauss A. Sports Psychiatry in Youth: Experiences and Challenges. 67th Annual Meeting American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, October 2020.
- Pan R, Behavioral Health and Concussions, UPMC Rooney Center for Sports Medicine Grand Rounds, September 20, 2018
- Sherry NS, Feder A, Pan R, Eagle S, Kontos AP. Transitioning Concussion Care to Mental Health Care: A Case Study of an Elite Athlete. Case Studies in Sport and Exercise Psychology, 5(1):135-144.
Medical student & resident education; Physician educationSelected Education Publications & Products
- Education series for parents, students, athletic trainers, coaches, and counselors on Mental Health in the Student Athlete, UPMC Sports Medicine and Department of Psychiatry, Autumn 2021.
- Stress and Change: What a Student-Athlete and Parents Should Know, Winchester Thurston High School, April 7, 2021.
- Concussion and Mental Health Roundtable. IU BrainSTEPS. Presentation at the Westmoreland County Intermediate Unit, Greensburg, PA, May 16, 2019.
- Pan R, Q & A: Panic Attacks, Anxiety and Concussion, UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program website (rethinkconcussions.upmc.edu), December 2017.
- Symptoms on Adolescent Depression: Helping, Hoping, and Coping. Presented at the University of Pittsburgh School of Education, Pittsburgh, PA, March 31, 2008.
Congratulations to the Latest Graduates of the Clinician-Educator Faculty Development Program
Earlier this month, the most recent class of early-career clinician-educator faculty graduated from the Clinician-Educator Faculty Development Program (CEFDP), an intensive two-year Department of Psychiatry career development initiative. The CEFDP enhances the careers of clinician-educator faculty at the assistant professor level through facilitating mentor-mentee relationships, expanding academic skill sets...