Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Diler RS, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Goldstein B, Gill MK, Strober M, Kolko D, Goldstein T, Hunt J, Yang M, Ryan N, Dahl RE, Dorn LD, Keller M (2009). The Child Behavior Checklist (CBCL) and the CBCL-Bipolar Phenotype are not useful in diagnosing Pediatric Bipolar Disorder. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology 19:23-30, 2009. PMC2753490
- Diler RS, Almeida JR, Ladouceur CD, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Phillips ML. Neural activity to positive versus negative stimuli can help differentiate bipolar disorder from unipolar major depressive disorder in depressed adolescents: A pilot fMRI study. Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging 2013 Sep 27. PMC3856642
- Diler RS, Pan LA, Segreti AM, Ladouceur CD, Forbes E, Romero-Cela S, Almeida JR, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Phillips ML. Differential anterior cingulate activity during response inhibition in depressed adolescents with bipolar and unipolar major depressive disorder. Journal of the Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 23:10-19, 2014. PMC3917665
- Diler RS, Ladouceur CD, Segreti AM, Almeida JR, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Phillips ML, Pan L. Neural correlates of treatment response in depressed bipolar adolescents during emotion processing. Brain Imaging and Behavior 7: 227-235, 2013. PMID: 23355265
- Diler RS, Segreti AM, Ladouceur CD, Almeida JR, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Phillips ML, Pan L. Neural correlates of treatment in adolescents with bipolar depression during response inhibition. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology 23: 214-221, 2013. PMC3678567
- Diler RS, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Obreja M, Monk K, Hickey MB, Goldstein B, Goldstein T, Sakolsky D, Iyengar S, Brent D, and Kupfer D. Dimensional Psychopathology in Offspring of Parents with Bipolar Disorder. Bipolar Disorders 13: 670-678, 2011. PMC4017915
- Diler RS. Goldstein TR, Hafeman D, Rooks BT, Sakolsky D, Goldstein BI, Monk K, Hickey MB, Axelson D, Iyengar S, Birmaher B. Characteristics of depression among offspring at high and low familial risk of bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disord. 2017 Jun 14. doi: 10.1111/bdi.12508. PMID: 28612977
- Diler RS, Goldstein TR, Hafeman D1, Merranko J, Liao F, Goldstein B, Hower H, Gill MK, Hunt J, Yen S, Keller MB, Axelson D, Strober M, Iyengar S, Ryan ND, Birmaher B. Distinguishing Bipolar Depression from Unipolar Depression in Youth: Preliminary Findings. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology 27:310-319, 2017. doi: 10.1089/cap.2016.0154. Epub 2017 Feb 28
- Diler RS, Uguz S, Seydaoglu G, Avci A. Mania profile in community sample of prepubertal children in Turkey. Bipolar Disorders 10:546-553, 2008
- Dickstein DP, Axelson D, Weissman AB, Yen S, Hunt JI, Goldstein BI, Goldstein TR, Liao F, Gill MK, Hower H, Frazier TW, Diler RS, Youngstrom EA, Fristad MA, Arnold LE, Findling RL, Horwitz SM, Kowatch RA, Ryan ND, Strober M, Birmaher B, Keller MB. Cognitive flexibility and performance in children and adolescents with threshold and sub-threshold bipolar disorder.Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2016 Jun;25(6):625-38. doi: 10.1007/s00787-015-0769-2. Epub 2015 Oct 5. PMID:26438382
- Diler RS, Birmaher B. Bipolar disorder in children and adolescents. In International E-Textbook of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Dr. Rey (Ed), by International Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Allied Professionals (IACAPAP) (chapter in the e-textbook; http://iacapap.org/wp-content/uploads/E.2-BIPOLAR-072012.pdf). Chapter #E2, 1-30, 2012/2017
- Diler RS. Early diagnosis of bipolar disorder in children and adolescent. Synergy by University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC), CME Activity, 9, 2012. http://www.upmcphysicianresources.com/cme-course/upmc-synergies-fall-2012
- Diler RS (Editor). Pediatric Bipolar Disorder: A Global Perspective (international monograph). Nova Science Publications, NY. From the perspectives of America (North), Australia and New Zealand, Brazil, China, Japan, India, Italy, Israel, Spain, Russia, and Turkey, 2007 (book)
- Diler RS. Clinical Characteristics of Bipolar Disorder in Children and Adolescents. In: Figueira ML & Akiskal HS (eds), Clinical Aspects of Mania. Wolters Kluwer. Madrid, Spain. 63-82, 2009
- Goldstein BI, Sassi R, Diler RS. Pharmacologic treatment of bipolar disorder in children and adolescents. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 21(4): 911-39, 2012
JAMA Psychiatry: Genetic Variants Are Associated with Risk for Bipolar Disorder
Bipolar disorder (BD) is a familial illness that is associated with functional impairment and increased risk for suicide and substance use. The disorder is highly heritable, and research has identified many common genetic variants associated with risk for the disorder. Studies including the Pittsburgh Bipolar Offspring Study (BIOS) have found that offspring of parents with BD are at elevated, specific risk to...
Behavioral Health Experts, Patients & Families Gather Virtually for Child and Adolescent Bipolar Spectrum Services Conference
The fourth biennial Child and Adolescent Bipolar Services (CABS) conference, held virtually, addressed the theme “Untangling Bipolar Disorder in Youth: Comorbidity, Differential Diagnosis and Treatment.” The CABS conference presents current research and clinical knowledge about the treatment of bipolar disorder and comorbid conditions to professionals, patients, and families, and is organized by Boris Birmaher, MD...
Biological Psychiatry and Journal of Affective Disorders Research in Mood and/or Bipolar Disorders in Adolescence
New research from Pitt Psychiatry investigators provides insight into the development of anxiety, depression, and/or bipolar in adolescence. A Biological Psychiatry study examines the association between trauma exposure, reward neural circuitry function, and affective and anxiety disorders. In the Journal of Affective Disorders, investigators study whether child maltreatment and cognitive function influence the...
A Unique Approach to Lifespan Diagnosis: The Psychological Autopsy
Many Pitt Psychiatry scientists use postmortem human brain tissue to identify neural alterations associated with mental disorders to guide the development of novel treatments. They do so with confidence that a team of psychologists and psychiatrists have systematically validated the diagnoses of each donor subject. This lifespan review is an uniquely intensive version of a process known as the “psychological...