Education & Training
- Wallace ML, Yu L, Buysse DJ, Stone K, Redline S, Smagula SF, Stefanick ML, Kritz-Silverstein D, Hall MH Multidimensional Sleep Health Domains in Older Men and Women: An Actigraphy Factor Analysis. SLEEP 2020 Sep 12;zsaa181. doi: 10.1093/sleep/zsaa181.
- Wallace ML, Buysse DJ, Redline S, Stone K, Ensrud K, Leng Y, Ancoli-Israel S, Hall MH. Multidimensional sleep and mortality in older adults: A machine-learning comparison with other risk factors. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2019 Nov 13;74(12):1903-1909. doi: 10.1093/gerona/glz044. PubMed PMID: 30778527.
- Wallace ML, Banihashemi L, ODonnell C, Nimgaonkar VL, Kodavali C, McNamee R, Germain A. Using optimal combined moderators to define heterogeneity in neural responses to randomized conditions: Application to the effect of sleep loss on fear learning. NeuroImage 2018 Nov 1;181:718-727. doi:10.1016/j.neuroimage.2018.07.051 PubMed PMID: 29480752.
- Wallace ML, Buysse DJ, Germain A, Hall MH, Iyengar S. Variable selection for skewed model-based clustering: Application to the identification of novel sleep phenotypes. J Am Stat Assoc. 2018; 113(521): 95-110. doi: 10.1080/01621459.2017.1330202
- Wallace ML, Frank E, Kraemer HC. A novel approach for developing and interpreting treatment moderator profiles. JAMA Psychiatry. 2013 Nov;70(11):1241-7. doi: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2013.1960. PMCID: PMC24048258
The Center for Sleep and Circadian Science Hosts Outstanding Three-Day Training and Research Innovation Event
Over the course of three days in early November, the Center for Sleep and Circadian Science hosted the Fall 2021 SWIM (Sleep and Circadian Workshop on Indispensable Methods) Workshop and the Center’s 6th Annual Sleep and Circadian Science Research Day. SWIM is an intensive training program on state-of-the-art sleep and circadian science research methodologies. Twenty-nine trainees from across the US participated in...
StatsEye: A Community of Statisticians Across the University of Pittsburgh
StatsEye (“Stat-Psy”), a newly established collaborative, engages individuals who are excited about developing and applying novel statistical methods for psychiatry. We spoke with Meredith Wallace, PhD (Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Statistics, and Biostatistics), and Dana Tudorascu, PhD (Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Biostatistics), who formed the group in collaboration with James Wilson, PhD...
New Research in Psychological Medicine and Human Brain Mapping on the Effects of Disrupted Sleep and Early Life Stress in Young People
Psychological Medicine: Experimentally Imposed Circadian Misalignment Alters the Neural Response to Monetary Rewards and Response Inhibition in Healthy Adolescents During adolescence, circadian rhythm and natural sleep and wake times shift later, which can conflict with early school-start times. This incongruence commonly results in circadian misalignment (mismatch between the behavioral sleep-wake schedule and the...
The American Journal of Psychiatry: Experimental Manipulation of the Orbitofrontal Cortex Affects Short-Term Markers of Compulsive Behavior
Individuals with compulsive behavior disorders, such as obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), experience compulsions in which the ability to engage in flexible goal-directed behavior is impaired in favor of habitual behaviors. Research from both animal and human studies have indicated that alterations within the orbitofrontal cortex are a key factor in the onset of compulsive behaviors. However, questions remain...