Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- MacDonald ML, Garver M, Newman J, Sun Z, Kannarkat J, Salisbury R, Glausier J, Ding Y, Lewis DA, Yates N, Sweet RA. Synaptic Proteome Alterations in the Primary Auditory Cortex of Schizophrenia. JAMA Psychiatry. 2019 Oct 23:1-10. PMID: 31642882.
- MacDonald ML, Alhassa J, Newman JT, Richard M, Gu H, Kelly RM, Sampson AR, Fish KN, Penzes P, Wills ZP, Lewis DA, Sweet RA. Selective Loss of Smaller Spines in Schizophrenia. American Journal of Psychiatry, In Press.
- MacDonald ML, Ding Y, Newman J, Hemby S, Penzes P, Lewis DA, Yates NA, Sweet RA. Altered glutamate protein co-expression network topology linked to spine loss in the auditory cortex of schizophrenia. Biol Psychiatry. 2015;77:959-968.
- MacDonald ML, Ciccimaro E, Prakash A, Banerjee A, Seeholzer SH, Blair IA, Hahn CG. Biochemical Fractionation and Stable Isotope Dilution Liquid Chromatography-mass Spectrometry for Targeted and Microdomain-specific Protein Quantification in Human Postmortem Brain Tissue. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2012 Dec;11(12):1670-81.
- MacDonald ML, Eaton M, Dudman T, Konradi K. Antipsychotic drugs elevate mRNA levels of presynaptic proteins in the frontal cortex of the rat. Biological Psychiatry. 1;57(9):1041-51, 2005.
Pitt Psychiatry Awarded $33.5M National Institute on Aging Program Project Grant Focused on the Pathological and Clinical Progression of Alzheimer’s Disease
The National Institute on Aging (NIA) has awarded the University of Pittsburgh Department of Psychiatry a Program Project Grant (PPG) renewal for “The role of astrogliosis in aging and the pathological and clinical progression of Alzheimer's disease.” The Alzheimer’s PPG will be led by a multiple principal investigator team including Ann Cohen, PhD (Associate Professor of Psychiatry), Howard Aizenstein, MD, PhD...
The Department of Psychiatry’s 20th Annual Research Day
The 20th annual Department of Psychiatry Research Day on June 9, 2022, represented a joyful reunion for more than 400 faculty members, trainees, and staff, who had not attended a large in-person event together since 2019. The morning session featured 110 posters at Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh. In the afternoon, attendees gathered across the street at the University...
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Promotes Matthew MacDonald, PhD, to Associate Professor of Psychiatry
We are delighted to announce that Matthew MacDonald, PhD, has been promoted to Associate Professor of Psychiatry by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Dr. MacDonald earned his PhD in pharmacology from the University of Pennsylvania and completed his postdoctoral research at the University of Pittsburgh Department of Psychiatry in the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)-funded Training in...
Pitt Psychiatry News from the 2019 Annual Meeting of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology
We are delighted to share Pitt Psychiatry news—as well as a few photographic highlights—from the 58th annual meeting of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP): Mary Phillips, MD, MD (Cantab) (Pittsburgh Foundation-Emmerling Endowed Chair in Psychotic Disorders and Professor of Psychiatry and Clinical and Translational Science) has joined the ACNP Council, a tremendous honor that will allow Dr...