Marta Pecina, MD, PhD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Sikora M., Heffernan J., Avery E., Mickey B., Zubieta J.K., Pecina M. Salience Network Functional Connectivity Predictors of Placebo Effects in Major Depression. Biol Psychiatry Cogn Neurosci Neuroimaging. 2016 Jan;1(1):68-76.
- Pecina M., Bohnert A.S.B., Sikora M., Avery E.T., Langenecker S.A., Mickey B.J., Zubieta J.K.: Association Between Placebo-Activated Neural Systems and Antidepressant Responses. JAMA Psychiatry. 2015. Sep. 30; 72(11):1-8. doi:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2515.1335.
- Pecina M., Love T., Stohler C., Goldman D, Zubieta JK. Effects of the Mu Opioid Receptor Polymorphism (OPRM1 A118G) on Pain Regulation, Placebo Effects and Associated Personality Trait Measures. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2015 Mar;40(4):957-65.
- Pecina M., Martinez Jauand M., Hodgkinson C., Stohler C., Goldman D, Zubieta JK. FAAHselectively influences placebo effects. Mol Psychiatry. 2014 Mar;19(3):385-91. doi: 10.1038/mp.2013.124. Epub 2013 Sep 17.
- Pecina M, Azhar H, Love TM, Lu T, Fredrickson BL, Stohler CS, Zubieta JK. Personality trait predictors of placebo analgesia and neurobiological correlates. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2013; 38 (4):639-646. PMCID: PMC3572460.
How Opioids Affect Serotonin-Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor Venlafaxine Treatment for Depression & Chronic Pain in Older Adults
Chronic low back pain and depression are common and frequently co-occurring in late life. Yet treatment can be challenging as these conditions are risk factors for each other, and both interfere with the other’s treatment response. Opioids may be a marker of poor treatment response for both depression and pain. In addition, there is limited evidence of the efficacy of opioids for patients with chronic pain, and...
Pitt Psychiatry News from the 2019 Annual Meeting of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology
We are delighted to share Pitt Psychiatry news—as well as a few photographic highlights—from the 58th annual meeting of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP): Mary Phillips, MD, MD (Cantab) (Pittsburgh Foundation-Emmerling Endowed Chair in Psychotic Disorders and Professor of Psychiatry and Clinical and Translational Science) has joined the ACNP Council, a tremendous honor that will allow Dr...
The Department of Psychiatry’s 19th Annual Research Day: A Day to Teach, Learn and Be Inspired
The 19th annual Department of Psychiatry Research Day on June 13, 2019 was our biggest yet! For the 505 faculty, postdoctoral students, residents, graduate students and staff who attended, the morning poster session and afternoon program offered a stimulating day of research and career development that was equal parts enlightenment, inspiration, fun and, at times, surprise. The morning session featured 140 posters...
Placebo Antidepressant Treatment Reinforced by Neurofeedback Improves Mood via Prefrontal Cortex
Placebo responses are common in clinical trials of depression treatments. However, how the expectation of treatment benefits patients is not well understood, in part because it is challenging to simulate these expectations in experimental designs. In an article appearing in Translational Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry researchers Assistant Professor Marta Peciña, MD, PhD, and Associate Professor Alexandre...