Marta Peciña, MD, PhD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Sikora M., Heffernan J., Avery E., Mickey B., Zubieta J.K., Pecina M. Salience Network Functional Connectivity Predictors of Placebo Effects in Major Depression. Biol Psychiatry Cogn Neurosci Neuroimaging. 2016 Jan;1(1):68-76.
- Pecina M., Bohnert A.S.B., Sikora M., Avery E.T., Langenecker S.A., Mickey B.J., Zubieta J.K.: Association Between Placebo-Activated Neural Systems and Antidepressant Responses. JAMA Psychiatry. 2015. Sep. 30; 72(11):1-8. doi:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2515.1335.
- Pecina M., Love T., Stohler C., Goldman D, Zubieta JK. Effects of the Mu Opioid Receptor Polymorphism (OPRM1 A118G) on Pain Regulation, Placebo Effects and Associated Personality Trait Measures. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2015 Mar;40(4):957-65.
- Pecina M., Martinez Jauand M., Hodgkinson C., Stohler C., Goldman D, Zubieta JK. FAAHselectively influences placebo effects. Mol Psychiatry. 2014 Mar;19(3):385-91. doi: 10.1038/mp.2013.124. Epub 2013 Sep 17.
- Pecina M, Azhar H, Love TM, Lu T, Fredrickson BL, Stohler CS, Zubieta JK. Personality trait predictors of placebo analgesia and neurobiological correlates. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2013; 38 (4):639-646. PMCID: PMC3572460.
Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging: μ Opioid Antagonist Naltrexone Partially Abolishes the Antidepressant Placebo Effect and Reduces Orbitofrontal Cortex Encoding of Reinforcement
Clinical trials intended to aid in the development of effective antidepressant medication has been hindered by antidepressant placebo effects. These effects may involve cortical and subcortical endogenous opioid signaling, yet the mechanism through which opioid release affects mood remains unclear. In a recent Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging paper, Pitt Psychiatry investigators...
Now in Neuropsychopharmacology: Understanding Contextual Processing of Perception in Depression
In a hundred-year-old film, a man is seen looking at a bowl of soup, then at a child in a coffin, then at a woman on a divan. While the film shows the exact same footage of the man three times, interspersed with the other images, audiences perceived that the man reacted to each scene with separate and distinct facial expressions. This phenomenon suggested that audience interpretations of his expression were...
COVID-19 Coping Strategies from Pitt Psychiatry
Physical distancing, stay-at-home orders and economic uncertainty resulting from the current COVID-19 pandemic have raised behavioral health concerns for many people. Below is a selection of strategies from Department of Psychiatry faculty and trainees on how to cope with the drastic alteration of our home, social and professional lives. For Kids and Adolescents Rameshwari Tumuluru, MD, an expert in helping...
How Opioids Affect Serotonin-Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor Venlafaxine Treatment for Depression & Chronic Pain in Older Adults
Chronic low back pain and depression are common and frequently co-occurring in late life. Yet treatment can be challenging as these conditions are risk factors for each other, and both interfere with the other’s treatment response. Opioids may be a marker of poor treatment response for both depression and pain. In addition, there is limited evidence of the efficacy of opioids for patients with chronic pain, and...