Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Cahill KM, Huo Z, Tseng GC, Logan RW, Seney ML. Improved identification of concordant and discordant gene expression signatures using an updated rank-rank hypergeometric overlap approach. Sci Rep. 2018. 8: 9588.
- Seney ML, Huo Z, Cahill K, French L, Puralewski R, Zhang J, Logan RW, Tseng G, Lewis DA, Sibille E. Opposite molecular signatures of depression in men and women. Biol Psychiatry. 2018. 84(1): 18-27.
- Douillard-Guilloux G, Lewis D, Seney ML, Sibille E. Decrease in somatostatin-positive cell density in the amygdala of females with major depression. Depress Anxiety. 2017 Jan;34(1):68-78.
- Puralewski R, Vasilakis G, Seney ML. Sex-related factors influence expression of mood-related genes in the basolateral amygdala differentially depending on age and stress exposure. Biol Sex Differ. 2016;7:50.
- Seney ML, Tripp A, McCune S, Lewis DA, Sibille E. Laminar and cellular analyses of reduced somatostatin gene expression in the subgenual anterior cingulate cortex in major depression. Neurobiol Dis. 2015 Jan;73:213-9.
Bridgeside Labs Addiction Research: Molecular Psychiatry, The Journal of Neuroscience, & Psychopharmacology
The Huang, McClung, and Torregrossa Labs at the University of Pittsburgh’s Bridgeside Point II facility are part of the Department of Psychiatry’s Translational Neuroscience Program, which seeks to understand the neurobiological basis for complex human cognitive and emotional functions, and the manner in which alterations in the brain give rise to the types of disturbances in these functions that characterize...
Pitt Psychiatry News from the 2020 Annual Meeting of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology
“I think that everyone can agree that 2020 was not a traditional year. Following suit, ACNP 2020 was not a traditional meeting,” says Susanne Ahmari, MD, PhD, program chair for the 2020 American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP) Annual Meeting. “However, although it was not the meeting we expected to plan when I stepped into my term as program chair, it ended up being an incredible combination of old and...
Now in Nature Communications: Diurnal Rhythms in Gene Expression in the Prefrontal Cortex in Schizophrenia
Researchers including Pitt Psychiatry investigators Marianne Seney, PhD, and Colleen McClung, PhD, have published a study in Nature Communications describing diurnal rhythms in gene expression in the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex in individuals with schizophrenia, compared with unaffected comparison subjects. Examining the postmortem brains of 46 comparison subjects and 46 subjects with schizophrenia...
“This summer has been one of the most transformative times of my life”: The 10th Annual Center for Translational Mental Health Research Undergraduate Research Program
This summer marks the 10th year of the Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program, funded by the NIMH Conte Center for Translational Mental Health Research. The competitive 10-week summer program provides undergraduate students studying neuroscience, biology and psychology, among other fields, the opportunity to conduct hands-on, cutting-edge neuroscience research under the mentorship of clinical and basic...