Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Gannon JM, Brar JS, Rai A, Chengappa KNR. Effects of a standardized extract of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) on depression and anxiety symptoms in persons with schizophrenia participating in a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Annals of Clinical Psychiatry. 2019;31(2):123-129.
- Schooler NR, Marder SR, Chengappa KNR, Petrides G, Ames D, Wirshing WC, McMeniman M, Baker RW, Parepally H, Umbricht D, Kane JM. Clozapine and Risperidone in Moderately Refractory Schizophrenia: a Six-month Double-blind comparison. J Clin Psychiatry. 2016;77(5):628-634. PubMed PMID: 27035871
- Chengappa KNR, Perkins KA, Brar JS, Schlicht PJ, Turkin SR, Hetrick ML, Levine MD, George TP. Varenicline for Smoking Cessation in Bipolar Disorder: A double-blind, random assignment, placebo controlled study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2014; 75:765-772. PMID: 25006684
- Chengappa KNR, Bowie CR, Schlicht PJ, Fleet D, Brar JS, Jindal R. Randomized Placebo-Controlled Adjunctive Study of an Extract of Withania Somnifera for Cognitive Dysfunction in Bipolar Disorder. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 2013; 74:1076- 1083. PMID:24330893
- Chengappa KNR, Turkin SR, DeSanti S, Bowie CR, Brar JS, Schlicht PJ, Murphy SL, Hetrick ML, Bilder R, Fleet D. A preliminary, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of L-carnosine to improve cognition in schizophrenia, Schizophr. Res. 2012; 142:145-152. PMID: 23099060
- Abdulkader Alam, KNR Chengappa, Frank Ghinassi, Screening for obstructive sleep apnea among individuals with severe mental illness at a primary care clinic. General Hospital Psychiatry 2012; 34(6):660-664. PMID: 22832135
- Perkins KA, Lerman C, Stitzer ML, Fonte CA, Briski JL, Scott JA, Chengappa KNR. Development of Procedures for Early Human Screening of Smoking Cessation Medications. Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2008; 84(2): 216221. PMID: 18388880
- Chengappa KNR, Ebeling T, Kang JS, Levine J, Parepally H. Clozapine reduces severe self-mutilation and aggression in psychotic patients with borderline personality disorder. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 1999 60:477-484. PMID 10453803
- Chengappa KNR, Schwarzman L, Hulihan JF, Xiang J, Rosenthal NR, for the CAPSS-168 Investigators. Adjunctive topiramate therapy in patients receiving a mood stabilizer for bipolar I disorder: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 2006; 67:1698-1706. PMID: 17196048
- Chengappa KNR, Gopalani A, Haught MK, McChesney K, Baker RW, Schooler N. The treatment of clozapine-associated agranulocytosis with granulocyte-colony stimulating factor (G-CSF). Psychopharmacology Bulletin. 1996; 32(1):111-121.
- A QI project for de-prescription: Lupu AM, Clinebell K, Gannon JM, Ellison JC, Chengappa KNR. (in press) Reducing anticholinergic medication burden in patients with psychotic or bipolar disorders. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry.
- Nash K, Ghinassi F, Brar JS, Alam A, Bohan MC, Gopalan K, Carter A, Chengappa KNR. The Development and Implementation of an Electronic Health Record Tool for Monitoring Metabolic Syndrome Indices in Patients with Serious Mental Illness. Clin Schizophr Relat Psychoses. 2016; 10(3):145-153. PMID 24275635
- Alam, A., Chengappa, KNR Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Schizophrenia: A Primer for Psychiatrists. Acta Neuropsychiatrica 2011; 23:201-209.
- Conference Director 2008-Current, Annual Pittsburgh Schizophrenia Conference. Sponsored by Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic of UPMC. Held at Sheraton Station Square Pittsburgh, PA
- Water Intoxication in Psychiatric Patients. State Hospital Video Conference Series. University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine; Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic; Mayview State Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA January 27, 2005.
Behavioral Health Clinicians, Researchers, Patients and Families Gather Virtually for the 38th Annual Pittsburgh Schizophrenia Conference
The annual Pittsburgh Schizophrenia Conference, now in its 38th year, presents the latest clinical and research findings to an audience of psychiatrists, nurses, social workers, psychologists, service coordinators, researchers, and mental health policy administrators, as well as to patients and families. Conference course director K.N. Roy Chengappa, MD (Professor of Psychiatry) leads UPMC Western Psychiatric...
Highlights from the 2021 Department of Psychiatry Clinician Educator Showcase
On March 25, 2021, Pitt Psychiatry clinician-educator faculty and UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH) trainees and staff gathered virtually for the Department’s 9th Clinician Educator Showcase. The Showcase is an annual opportunity for clinician-educators to learn about promising clinical innovations and the latest quality improvement initiatives. The event includes career development roundtable discussions...
Research in First Episode and Clinical High Risk Psychosis
EPINET: First-Episode Psychosis Research The UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH) Services for the Treatment of Early Psychosis (STEP) clinic is an outpatient program for the evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation of people who may be experiencing early signs of a psychotic illness. STEP is one of 20 clinics across Maryland and Pennsylvania that will be included in an Early Psychosis Intervention Network...
Behavioral Health Clinicians, Researchers, Patients and Families Gather Virtually for the 37th Annual Pittsburgh Schizophrenia Conference
The 37th annual Pittsburgh Schizophrenia Conference presented advances in schizophrenia research to a virtual audience of more than 300 psychiatrists, psychologists, nurses, social workers, and researchers, as well as patients and their families. At UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH), K.N. Roy Chengappa, MD, Professor of Psychiatry, is Chief, Comprehensive Recovery Services (CRS), which serves patients with...