Julie A Kmiec, DO
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
Research InterestsSelected Research Publications & Products
- Cole ES, Drake C, DiDomenico E, Sharbaugh M, Kim JY, Nagy D, Cochran G, Gordon AJ, Gellad WF, Pringle J, Warwick J, Chang CH, Kmiec J, Kelley D, Donohue JM. Patterns of clinic switching and continuity of medication for opioid use disorder in a Medicaid-enrolled population. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2021 Apr 1;221:108633. doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.108633. Epub 2021 Feb 16. PMID: 33631544.
- Spada M, Kmiec J, Glance JB, Gopalan P. Consideration of opioid agonist treatment in a pregnant adolescent: A case report and literature review. Substance Abuse. 2020;41(2):181185. doi:10.1080/08897077.2019.1635970
- Kmiec J, Suffoletto B. Implementations of a text-message intervention to increase linkage from the emergency department to outpatient treatment for substance use disorders. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment. 2019;100:3944. doi:10.1016/j.jsat.2019.02.005
- Cornelius JR, Chung TA, Douaihy AB, Kirisci L, Glance J, Kmiec J, Wesesky MA, FitzGerald D, Salloum I. A review of the literature of Mirtazapine in co-occurring depression and an alcohol use disorder. Journal of Addictive Behaviors, Therapy, & Rehabilitation 2016;5(4). pii: 159. doi: 10.4172/2324-9005.1000159. Epub 2016 Dec 30. PubMed PMID: 28393081; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5381661.
- Cole ES, DiDomenico E, Cochran G, et al. The role of primary care in improving access to medication-assisted treatment for rural Medicaid enrollees with opioid use disorder. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2019;34(6):936943. doi:10.1007/s11606-019-04943-6
- Prescribing Naloxone to Patients for Overdose Reversal. Providers' Clinical Support System for Medication Assisted Treatment Module. 2016 Aug 29. http://pcssmat.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Prescribing-Nalxone-to-Patients-for-Overdose-Reversal.pdf
Highlights from the 2022 Department of Psychiatry Clinician-Educator Showcase
On March 24, 2022, Pitt Psychiatry clinician-educator faculty and UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital residents and fellows gathered virtually for the Department’s 10th Annual Clinician-Educator Showcase. Department Chair David Lewis, MD, joked that given the hope for a return to in-person events, “next year we will hold a second 10th Showcase!” The Clinician-Educator Showcase is an annual opportunity for clinician...
Julie Kmiec, DO, Receives 2021 UPMC Award for Commitment to Excellence in Service (ACES)
Julie Kmiec, DO (Associate Professor of Psychiatry), has been selected as a 2021 UPMC ACES recipient for her outstanding work at UPMC. ACES recipients are recognized for embodying UPMC’s core values, exhibiting excellence in and dedication to their work, and going above and beyond to serve patients and communities. Dr. Kmiec’s colleagues have described her as a compassionate and informed leader, a key organizer in...
Psychiatry Honored with Four Teaching Awards from the School of Medicine
Congratulations to Alex Israel, MD (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry); Antoine Douaihy, MD (Professor of Psychiatry & Medicine); Julie Kmiec, DO (Associate Professor of Psychiatry); and Jessica Kettel, MD, PhD (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry), who have been honored for excellence in education at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Curriculum Colloquium. Each year, the Pitt School of Medicine...
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Promotes Julie Kmiec, DO, to Associate Professor of Psychiatry
We are delighted to announce that Julie Kmiec, DO, has been promoted to Associate Professor of Psychiatry by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Dr. Kmiec earned her medical degree from the Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine and completed her psychiatry residency and a fellowship in addiction psychiatry at UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH). Dr. Kmiec became a...