Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
Research InterestsSelected Research Publications & Products
- Hoops K, Fahimi J, Khoeur L, Studenmund C, Barber C, Barnhorst A, Betz ME, Crifasi CK, Davis JA, Dewispelaere W, Fisher L, Howard PK, Ketterer A, Marcolini E, Nestadt PS, Rozel J, Simonetti JA, Spitzer S, Victoroff M, Williams BH, Howley L, Ranney ML. Consensus-Driven Priorities for Firearm Injury Education Among Medical Professionals. Academic Medicine: July 6, 2021 - Publish Ahead of Print.
- Rozel JS. 2020. Violence: Managing Major Threats. In Emergency Psychiatry: Principles & Practice, edited by Rachel Lipson Glick, Scott L Zeller, and Jon S. Berlin, 2d ed., 34557. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer.
- Rozel JS. 2019. Complexity, Computational modeling, and forecasting the future of threat management. Journal of Threat Assessment and Management 6 (34): 19397. http://dx.doi.org.pitt.idm.oclc.org/10.1037/tam0000131.
- Rozel, John S., Abhishek Jain, Edward P. Mulvey, and Loren H. Roth. 2017. Psychiatric Assessment of Violence. In The Wiley Handbook of Violence and Aggression, edited by Peter Sturmey. Vol. 2. John Wiley & Sons.
- Rozel, John S., and Edward P. Mulvey. 2017. The Link between Mental Illness and Gun Violence: Implications for Social Policy. Annual Review of Clinical Psychology 13 (1): 445-69. doi:10.1146/annurev-clinpsy-021815-093459.
- Barnhorst A, Rozel JS. Evaluating threats of mass shootings in the psychiatric setting. International Review of Psychiatry. 2021 Jul 16; Available from: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09540261.2021.1947784
- Rozel, John S., Keith R. Stowell, and Gregory D. Thorkelson. 2017. Diagnosis and Management of Agitation in Children and Adolescents. In The Diagnosis and Management of Agitation, edited by Scott Zeller, Kimberly Nordstrom, and Michael Wilson, 253-70. New York City: Cambridge University Press.
- Turturro, Michael, Leslie Zun, and Jack Rozel. 2017. An Innovative Strategy to Streamline Care for Behavioral Health in the Emergency Department. In Value and Quality Innovations in Acute and Emergency Care, edited by Jennifer L. Wiler, Jesse M. Pines, and Michael J. Ward, 68-81. Cambridge, United Kingdom?; New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Rozel, John S. 2016. Armed Law Enforcement in the Emergency Department: Risk Management Considerations. ABA Health ESource 13 (3). https://www.americanbar.org/publications/aba_health_esource/2016-2017/november2016/lawenforcement.html.
- Stowell, Keith R., Nolan P. Hughes, and John S. Rozel. 2016. Violence in the Emergency Department. Psychiatric Clinics of North America 39 (4): 557-66. doi:10.1016/j.psc.2016.07.003.
- Rozel JS. In Press. Identifying and Understanding Legal Aspects of Emergency Psychiatry Unique to Different Jurisdictions. In Emergency Psychiatric Systems That Work, edited by Mary Jo Fitz-Gerald and Cheryl McCullumsmith. Cham: Springer.
- Rozel J. 2020. Surge in Firearm Sales Tied to COVID-19 Fears, Uncertainty Presents Risks. The Hospitalist. April 2, 2020. https://www.the-hospitalist.org/psychiatry/article/220142/anxiety-disorders/surge-firearm-sales-tied-covid-19-fears-uncertainty.
- Clinical Homicide and Aggression Management Practices for Inpatient, Outpatient and Non-traditional Settings (CHAMPIONS). Ongoing day-long training in advanced violence evaluation and management.
- Rozel, John. 2016. Malpractice Risk Assessment for Behavioral Emergencies. Audio Digest Psychiatry 45 (21).
“When you call for help, who comes to the door matters.” - Jack Rozel, MD, MSL, Honored by Allegheny County Medical Society
Congratulations to Jack Rozel, MD, MSL (Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Adjunct Professor of Law), who has received the Allegheny County Medical Society Ralph C. Wilde Leadership Award. The Award recognizes a physician who demonstrates exceptional skill in clinical care of patients and dedication to the ideals of the medical profession as a teacher or leader. Dr. Rozel is a recognized expert on emergency...
Jack Rozel, MD, MSL, Honored by Crisis Intervention Team International as 2020 Behavioral Healthcare Practitioner of the Year
Please join us in congratulating Jack Rozel, MD, MSL (Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Adjunct Professor of Law), who has been named 2020 Behavioral Healthcare Practitioner of the Year. An expert in emergency psychiatry and crisis intervention, Dr. Rozel is Medical Director, resolve Crisis Services, which provides mental health crisis intervention and stabilization through phone, mobile, walk-in and...
Catch Up on the UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital Podcast, Psychiatry Advances
Psychiatry Advances, the Department of Psychiatry podcast launched earlier this year, presents innovative research and patient-centered programs at the cutting edge of psychiatry and the behavioral sciences. The host of Psychiatry Advances is Loren Roth, MD, MPH, Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry. If you aren’t caught up with the latest, below are the episodes currently available to stream from the...
Pathways to Resilience: The CISM ASAP Intervention Program Supports Staff Who Have Experienced Adverse Workplace Events
Imagine a team that, despite its best efforts, has experienced a terrible patient outcome. Some of them may think, I just completely blew it. Maybe I’m not cut out for this. For those whose daily mission is to serve patients and families, often in stressful, high-pressure situations, access to compassionate support is critical to ensuring the continued ability to deliver high-quality patient care. At UPMC Western...