Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Diagnosis- and cell type-specific mitochondrial functional pathway signatures in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Glausier JR, Enwright JF, Lewis DA, American Journal of Psychiatry (In Press)
- Proxy measures of premortem cognitive aptitude in postmortem subjects with schizophrenia. Glausier JR, Kelly MA, Salem S, Chen K, Lewis DA, Psychol Med, 2020, 50(3): 507-514.
- Ultrastructural analysis of parvalbumin synapses in human dorsolateral prefrontal cortex.Glausier JR, Roberts RC, Lewis DA.J Comp Neurol. 2017 Jun 15;525(9):2075-2089. doi: 10.1002/cne.24171. Epub 2017 Mar 26.
- Reciprocal Alterations in Regulator of G Protein Signaling 4 and microRNA16 in Schizophrenia.Kimoto S, Glausier JR, Fish KN, Volk DW, Bazmi HH, Arion D, Datta D, Lewis DA.Schizophr Bull. 2016 Mar;42(2):396-405. doi: 10.1093/schbul/sbv139. Epub 2015 Sep 30.
- Lower glutamic acid decarboxylase 65-kDa isoform messenger RNA and protein levels in the prefrontal cortex in schizoaffective disorder but not schizophrenia.Glausier JR, Kimoto S, Fish KN, Lewis DA.Biol Psychiatry. 2015 Jan 15;77(2):167-76. doi: 10.1016/j.biopsych.2014.05.010. Epub 2014 May 29.
Biological Psychiatry: Diurnal Alterations in Gene Expression Across Striatal Subregions in Psychosis
Psychosis, an impairment that manifests as hallucinations and/or delusions, is a defining feature of schizophrenia and highly prevalent in bipolar disorder. Individuals suffering with these illnesses also have major disruptions in sleep and circadian rhythms, which can precipitate or exacerbate psychotic symptoms. A group of investigators including Kyle Ketchesin, PhD (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry), Madeline...
New Research: The Molecular Biology of the Human Brain
Investigators at Pitt Psychiatry have recently published studies in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS) and Translational Psychiatry on the molecular biology of the human brain. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS): Diurnal rhythms across the human dorsal and ventral striatum In a paper recently published in...
The American Journal of Psychiatry: Diagnosis- and Cell Type-Specific Mitochondrial Functional Pathway Signatures in Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder
Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder share genetic and environmental risk factors, and in some cases, certain clinical features such as cognitive impairments and psychosis. Mitochondrial dysfunction is proposed to contribute to the functional, morphological, and molecular brain alterations that may underlie the common features of these disorders. However, mitochondria are critical for multiple biological processes...
Now in JAMA Psychiatry: Synaptic Proteome Alterations in the Primary Auditory Cortex of Individuals with Schizophrenia
Individuals with schizophrenia often exhibit impairments in the processing of auditory sensory information and auditory learning. Previous research has implicated the involvement of synaptic protein networks in the pathology of schizophrenia. The number, type and strength of connections between synapses are governed in large part by complex protein networks. “In order for the synapse to function, many different...