Education & Training
- Levenson, J.C., Miller, E., Hafer, B., Reidell, M.F., Buysse, D.J., Franzen, P.L. (2016). Pilot study of a sleep health promotion program among college students. Sleep Health, 2(2), 167-174. PMID: 27525300, PMCID: PMC4978431
- Levenson, J.C., Soehner, A., Rooks, B.T., Merranko, J., Goldstein, T.R., Axelson, D.A., Goldstein, B.I., Brent, D.A., Diler, R., Hafeman, D., Hickey, M.B., Monk, K., Sakolsky, D., Kupfer, D.J., Birmaher, B. (2017). Sleep phenotypes among offspring of bipolar parents and community controls: a latent transition analysis and association with conversion to bipolar disorder. Journal of Affective Disorders, 215, 30-36. PMID: 28315578 DOI: 10.1016/j.jad.2017.03.011
- Levenson, J.C., Rollman, B.L., Ritterband, L., Strollo, P.J., Smith, K.J., Yabes, J.G., Moore, C.G., Harvey, A.G., Buysse, D.J. (2017). Hypertension with Unsatisfactory Sleep Health (HUSH): Study Protocol for a Randomized Controlled Trial. Trials, 18(1). PMID: 28587609 PMCID: PMC5461741
- Levenson, J.C., Shensa, A., Sidani, J.E., Colditz, J.B., Primack, B.A. (Accepted). Social Media Use before Bed and Sleep Disturbance among Young Adults in the United States: A Nationally-Representative Study. SLEEP.
- Levenson, J.C., Kay, D.B., Buysse, D.J. (2015). The pathophysiology of insomnia. CHEST. 147, 4, 1179-1192. PMID: 25846534 PMCID: PMC4388122
- Frank, E., & Levenson, J.C. (2010). Interpersonal Psychotherapy. American Psychological Association.
- Swartz, H.A., Levenson, J.C., & Frank, E. (2012). Psychotherapy for bipolar II disorder: the role of interpersonal and social rhythm therapy. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 43(2), 145-153.*
- Frank, E., Ritchey, F.C., & Levenson, J.C. (2014). Is Interpersonal Psychotherapy infinitely adaptable? A compendium of the multiple modifications of IPT. American Journal of Psychotherapy. PMID: 26453344 PMCID: PMC4602162
Diverse Scientists Worldwide Join the Inaugural Summer SWIM, a Virtual Sleep & Circadian Science Workshop
In August 2020, 74 scientists from five continents joined the Department of Psychiatry’s virtual Summer SWIM (Sleep and Circadian Workshop on Indispensable Methods), led by Martica Hall, PhD (Professor of Psychiatry, Psychology and Clinical and Translational Science), and Daniel Buysse, MD (UPMC Professor of Sleep Medicine (Professor of Psychiatry and Clinical and Translational Science), of the University of...
Pitt Psychiatry Awarded $14.8M National Institute on Drug Abuse Center Grant Focused on the Role of Sleep and Circadian Rhythms in Substance Abuse
The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) has awarded Pitt Psychiatry a Center of Excellence (P50) grant to fund the Center for Adolescent Reward, Rhythms and Sleep (CARRS). The CARRS Center will be led by Colleen McClung, PhD (Professor of Psychiatry and Clinical and Translational Science) and Daniel Buysse, MD (UPMC Professor of Sleep Medicine and Professor of Psychiatry and Clinical and Translational Science)...
Now in Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry: Sleep Disturbances & Increasing Psychiatric Symptoms in High-Risk Youth
Major psychiatric disorders often arise during childhood and adolescence, especially among children whose parents have a psychiatric illness. Sleep patterns also shift substantially during the transition from childhood to adolescence. Sleep disturbances, often associated with most forms of psychopathology, have been identified as a promising behavioral intervention target to help treat young people with psychiatric...
The Department of Psychiatry’s 19th Annual Research Day: A Day to Teach, Learn and Be Inspired
The 19th annual Department of Psychiatry Research Day on June 13, 2019 was our biggest yet! For the 505 faculty, postdoctoral students, residents, graduate students and staff who attended, the morning poster session and afternoon program offered a stimulating day of research and career development that was equal parts enlightenment, inspiration, fun and, at times, surprise. The morning session featured 140 posters...