Helmet T Karim, PhD
Education & Training
- Ly M, Gary ZY, Karim HT, Muppidi NR, Mizuno A, Klunk WE, ... & Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative. (2019). Improving brain age prediction models: incorporation of amyloid status in Alzheimer's disease. Neurobiology of Aging.
- Karim HT, Wang M, Andreescu C, Tudorascu D, Butters MA, Karp JF, ... & Aizenstein HJ. (2018). Acute trajectories of neural activation predict remission to pharmacotherapy in late-life depression. NeuroImage: Clinical, 19, 831-839.
- Karim HT, Andreescu C, Tudorascu D, Smagula SF, Butters MA, Karp JF, ... & Aizenstein HJ. (2017). Intrinsic functional connectivity in late-life depression: trajectories over the course of pharmacotherapy in remitters and non-remitters. Molecular psychiatry, 22(3), 450-457.
- Karim HT, Tudorascu DL, Butters MA, Walker S, Aizenstein HJ, & Andreescu C. (2017). In the grip of worry: Cerebral blood flow changes during worry induction and reappraisal in late-life generalized anxiety disorder. Translational psychiatry, 7(8), e1204-e1204.
- Kay DB, Karim HT, Soehner AM, Hasler BP, Wilckens KA, James JA, ... & Germain A. (2016). Sleep-wake differences in relative regional cerebral metabolic rate for glucose among patients with insomnia compared with good sleepers. Sleep, 39(10), 1779-1794.
Independent Replication of Advanced Brain Age in Mild Cognitive Impairment and Dementia: Detection of Future Cognitive Dysfunction
Models of the aging process are becoming prevalent in multiple fields, and over the last decade, scientists have used brain aging markers to identify important neuroanatomical differences in multiple psychiatric disorders. These markers may provide individualized risk assessments and predictions for age-associated neurodegenerative diseases, and have recently been used to demonstrate the association between greater...
Pitt Psychiatry Awarded $11.5M National Institute of Mental Health Center Grant Focused on Investigating Emotional and Mental Health in Autistic Adults
The National Institute of Mental Health has awarded the University of Pittsburgh Department of Psychiatry an Autism Center of Excellence (P50) grant to fund “Mental Health in Autistic Adults: An RDoC Approach.” The University of Pittsburgh Autism Center of Excellence (ACE) will be led by Carla Mazefsky, PhD (Professor of Psychiatry, Psychology, and Clinical and Translational Science). The University of Pittsburgh...
Bioengineering Enhances Psychiatric Research
Howard Aizenstein, MD, PhD (Charles F. Reynolds III and Ellen G. Detlefsen Endowed Chair in Geriatric Psychiatry and Professor of Bioengineering and Clinical and Translational Science), is trained as a geriatric psychiatrist and as a computer scientist, and he is recognized for his expertise in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) analysis methods and their use in clinical research in aging. In collaboration with Tamer...
New Research on the Intricate Nature of Worry’s Neural Signature
Severe worry is a complex transdiagnostic phenotype independently associated with increased morbidity, including cardiovascular diseases, cognitive impairment, and accelerated brain aging. A group of investigators, including Pitt Psychiatry scientists Andrew Gerlach, PhD (postdoctoral scholar); Helmet Karim, PhD (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Bioengineering); Joseph Kazan, MD (postdoctoral scholar); Howard...