Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Castelnovo A, D'Agostino A, Casetta C, Sarasso S, Ferrarelli F. Sleep Spindle Deficit in Schizophrenia: Contextualization of Recent Findings. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2016 Aug; 18(8):72. PMID: 27299655
- Ferrarelli F, Riedner BA, Peterson MJ, Tononi G. Altered prefrontal activity and connectivity predict different cognitive deficits in schizophrenia. Hum Brain Mapp. 2015 Nov; 36(11):4539-52. PMID: 26288380
- Buchmann A, Dentico D, Peterson MJ, Riedner BA, Sarasso S, Massimini M, Tononi G, Ferrarelli F. Reduced mediodorsal thalamic volume and prefrontal cortical spindle activity in schizophrenia. Neuroimage. 2014 Nov 15; 102 Pt 2:540-7. PMID: 25139002
- Ferrarelli F, Sarasso S, Guller Y, Riedner BA, Peterson MJ, Bellesi M, Massimini M, Postle BR, Tononi G. Reduced natural oscillatory frequency of frontal thalamocortical circuits in schizophrenia. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2012 Aug; 69(8):766-74. PMID: 22474071
- Ferrarelli F, Peterson MJ, Sarasso S, Riedner BA, Murphy MJ, Benca RM, Bria P, Kalin NH, Tononi G. Thalamic dysfunction in schizophrenia suggested by whole-night deficits in slow and fast spindles. Am J Psychiatry. 2010 Nov; 167(11):1339-48. PMID: 20843876
- Kaskie RE, Ferrarelli F. Investigating the neurobiology of schizophrenia and other major psychiatric disorders with Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation. Schizophr Res. 2017 May 3. PMID: 28478887
- Sprecher KE, Ferrarelli F, Benca RM. Sleep and plasticity in schizophrenia. Curr Top Behav Neurosci. 2015; 25: 433-58. PMID: 25608723
- Ferrarelli F. Endophenotypes and biological markers of schizophrenia: from biological signs of illness to novel treatment targets. Curr Pharm Des. 2013; 19(36):6462-79. PMID: 23432712
- Ferrarelli F & Benca RM (2010): Neurophysiology and neuroimaging of human sleep. In Winkelman & Plante (Eds.), Foundations of Psychiatric Sleep Medicine (chapter 3). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press
- Ferrarelli F (2009): The application of TMS in the treatment of obsessive-compulsive and schizophrenia disorders. In J. Mally (Ed.) The Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS) in the Treatment and Rehabilitation of Central Nervous Diseases, (chapter 19). Budapest, Hu: Eurobridge Co
Erika Forbes, PhD, & Fabio Ferrarelli MD, PhD, Receive a Laurel E. Zaks Memorial Fund Award for Novel Treatments for Depression
We are delighted to announce that Erika Forbes, PhD (Professor of Psychiatry, Pediatrics, Psychology and Clinical and Translational Science), and Fabio Ferrarelli MD, PhD (Associate Professor of Psychiatry), have been selected to receive a Laurel E. Zaks Memorial Research Fund award for a collaborative research project focused on treating depression in young people. The Laurel Zaks Fund, established in March 2019...
New Psychosis Research in Neuropsychopharmacology and Psychological Medicine
More than 20 members of the Department of Psychiatry faculty conduct a wide range of research pertaining to schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and other psychotic disorders. Recent Pitt Psychiatry studies in Neuropsychopharmacology and Psychological Medicine present new findings pertaining to clinical high risk for psychosis and first-episode psychosis. Reduced GABA/glutamate in the thalamus of individuals at...
Research in First Episode and Clinical High Risk Psychosis
EPINET: First-Episode Psychosis Research The UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH) Services for the Treatment of Early Psychosis (STEP) clinic is an outpatient program for the evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation of people who may be experiencing early signs of a psychotic illness. STEP is one of 20 clinics across Maryland and Pennsylvania that will be included in an Early Psychosis Intervention Network...
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Promotes Fabio Ferrarelli, MD, PhD, to Associate Professor of Psychiatry
We are delighted to announce that Fabio Ferrarelli, MD, PhD, has been promoted to Associate Professor of Psychiatry by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Dr. Ferrarelli has devoted his career to identifying disease biomarkers, focusing on the relationship of sleep electrophysiological signatures to schizophrenia. He uses state-of-the-art technology such as magnetic resonance imaging, transcranial...