Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Montez DF, Calabro FJ, Luna B. The expression of established cognitive brain states stabilizes with working memory development. Elife. 2017 Aug 19;6. pii: e25606. doi: 10.7554/eLife.25606. PMCID: PMC5578740
- Jalbrzikowski M, Larsen B, Hallquist MN, Foran W, Calabro F, Luna B. Development of White Matter Microstructure and Intrinsic Functional Connectivity Between the Amygdala and Ventromedial Prefrontal Cortex: Associations With Anxiety and Depression. Biol Psychiatry. 2017 Oct 1;82(7):511-521. doi: 10.1016/j.biopsych.2017.01.008. Epub 2017 Jan 17. PMCID: PMC5522367
- Hallquist MN, Geier CF, Luna B. Incentives facilitate developmental improvement in inhibitory control by modulating control-related networks. Neuroimage. 2018 May 15;172:369-380. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2018.01.045. Epub 2018 Jan 31. PMCID: PMC5910226
- Murty VP, Shah H, Montez D, Foran W, Calabro F, Luna B. Age-Related Trajectories of Functional Coupling between the VTA and Nucleus Accumbens Depend on Motivational State. J Neurosci. 2018 Aug 22;38(34):7420-7427. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.3508-17.2018. Epub 2018 Jul 20. PMCID: PMC6104300
- Marek S, Tervo-Clemmens B, Klein N, Foran W, Ghuman AS, Luna B. Adolescent development of cortical oscillations: Power, phase, and support of cognitive maturation. PLoS Biol. 2018 Nov 30;16(11):e2004188. doi: 10.1371/journal.pbio.2004188. eCollection 2018 Nov. PMID: 30500809
Clinical InterestsSelected Clinical Publications & Products
- Jalbrzikowski M, Murty VP, Tervo-Clemmens B, Foran W, Luna B. Age-associated deviations of Amygdala function connectivity in youths with psychosis spectrum disorders: relevance to psychotic symptoms. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2019 Jan 18. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp.2018.18040443 [Epub ahead of print]
- Murty VP, McKinney RA, DuBrow S, Jalbrzikowski M, Haas GL, Luna B. Differential patterns of contextual organization of memory in first-episode psychosis. NPJ Schizophr. 2018 Feb 15;4(1):3. doi: 10.1038/s41537-018-0046-8. PMCID: PMC5814439
- Tervo-Clemmens B, Simmonds D, Calabro FJ, Montez DF, Lekht JA, Day NL, Richardson GA, Luna B. Early Cannabis Use and Neurocognitive Risk: A Prospective Functional Neuroimaging Study. Biol Psychiatry Cogn Neurosci Neuroimaging. 2018 Aug;3(8):713-725. doi: 10.1016/j.bpsc.2018.05.004. Epub 2018 May 29. PMID: 30033100
- Jalbrzikowski M, Murty VP, Stan PL, Saifullan J, Simmonds D, Foran W, Luna B. Differentiating between clinical and behavioral phenotypes in first-episode psychosis during maintenance of visuospatial working memory. Schizophr Res. 2017 Nov 11. pii: S0920-9964(17)30689-8. doi: 10.1016/j.schres.2017.11.012. [Epub ahead of print] PMCID: PMC5948111
- Tervo-Clemmens B, Quach A, Luna B, Foran W, Chung T, De Bellis MD, Clark DB. Neural Correlates of Rewarded Response Inhibition in Youth at Risk for Problematic Alcohol Use. Front Behav Neurosci. 2017 Nov 3;11:205. doi: 10.3389/fnbeh.2017.00205. eCollection 2017. PMCID: PMC5675888
Pitt Psychiatry Hosts a Tremendous Research “Half” Day
On June 9, 2021, the Department of Psychiatry held its 2nd virtual Research Day, featuring presentations on health equity research, a speed dat(a)ing session, a keynote address, and honors and awards. The event was billed as a Research “Half” Day, as we hope and expect for the second half of the event, a poster session, to occur in person. (Date: October 5, 2021. Stay tuned to our events page for details!) Below is...
New Psychosis Research in Neuropsychopharmacology and Psychological Medicine
More than 20 members of the Department of Psychiatry faculty conduct a wide range of research pertaining to schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and other psychotic disorders. Recent Pitt Psychiatry studies in Neuropsychopharmacology and Psychological Medicine present new findings pertaining to clinical high risk for psychosis and first-episode psychosis. Reduced GABA/glutamate in the thalamus of individuals at...
Now in Nature Communications: New Findings Help Resolve the Explore–Exploit Dilemma
In a recent study published in Nature Communications, a team of scientists asked, When making decisions, how does one decide whether to exploit known good options or explore potentially better alternatives? While scientists have previously worked to uncover how the brain arbitrates between exploration and exploitation using experiments with one or two options, natural environments present a multitude of choices. In...
Now in Nature Communications: New Findings on the Maturation of the Striatal Dopamine System Using Positron Emission Tomography and Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Adolescence can be marked by heightened reward drive and sensation-seeking behaviors, which engage the reward system. These behaviors are thought to be caused by a developmental peak in dopamine processing in the nucleus accumbens, part of the striatal reward system. However, a better understanding of the relationship between these behaviors and dopamine has been difficult to achieve because the standard techniques...