Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Montez DF, Calabro FJ, Luna B. The expression of established cognitive brain states stabilizes with working memory development. Elife. 2017 Aug 19;6. pii: e25606. doi: 10.7554/eLife.25606. PMCID: PMC5578740
- Jalbrzikowski M, Larsen B, Hallquist MN, Foran W, Calabro F, Luna B. Development of White Matter Microstructure and Intrinsic Functional Connectivity Between the Amygdala and Ventromedial Prefrontal Cortex: Associations With Anxiety and Depression. Biol Psychiatry. 2017 Oct 1;82(7):511-521. doi: 10.1016/j.biopsych.2017.01.008. Epub 2017 Jan 17. PMCID: PMC5522367
- Hallquist MN, Geier CF, Luna B. Incentives facilitate developmental improvement in inhibitory control by modulating control-related networks. Neuroimage. 2018 May 15;172:369-380. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2018.01.045. Epub 2018 Jan 31. PMCID: PMC5910226
- Murty VP, Shah H, Montez D, Foran W, Calabro F, Luna B. Age-Related Trajectories of Functional Coupling between the VTA and Nucleus Accumbens Depend on Motivational State. J Neurosci. 2018 Aug 22;38(34):7420-7427. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.3508-17.2018. Epub 2018 Jul 20. PMCID: PMC6104300
- Marek S, Tervo-Clemmens B, Klein N, Foran W, Ghuman AS, Luna B. Adolescent development of cortical oscillations: Power, phase, and support of cognitive maturation. PLoS Biol. 2018 Nov 30;16(11):e2004188. doi: 10.1371/journal.pbio.2004188. eCollection 2018 Nov. PMID: 30500809
- Jalbrzikowski M, Murty VP, Tervo-Clemmens B, Foran W, Luna B. Age-associated deviations of Amygdala function connectivity in youths with psychosis spectrum disorders: relevance to psychotic symptoms. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2019 Jan 18. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp.2018.18040443 [Epub ahead of print]
- Murty VP, McKinney RA, DuBrow S, Jalbrzikowski M, Haas GL, Luna B. Differential patterns of contextual organization of memory in first-episode psychosis. NPJ Schizophr. 2018 Feb 15;4(1):3. doi: 10.1038/s41537-018-0046-8. PMCID: PMC5814439
- Tervo-Clemmens B, Simmonds D, Calabro FJ, Montez DF, Lekht JA, Day NL, Richardson GA, Luna B. Early Cannabis Use and Neurocognitive Risk: A Prospective Functional Neuroimaging Study. Biol Psychiatry Cogn Neurosci Neuroimaging. 2018 Aug;3(8):713-725. doi: 10.1016/j.bpsc.2018.05.004. Epub 2018 May 29. PMID: 30033100
- Jalbrzikowski M, Murty VP, Stan PL, Saifullan J, Simmonds D, Foran W, Luna B. Differentiating between clinical and behavioral phenotypes in first-episode psychosis during maintenance of visuospatial working memory. Schizophr Res. 2017 Nov 11. pii: S0920-9964(17)30689-8. doi: 10.1016/j.schres.2017.11.012. [Epub ahead of print] PMCID: PMC5948111
- Tervo-Clemmens B, Quach A, Luna B, Foran W, Chung T, De Bellis MD, Clark DB. Neural Correlates of Rewarded Response Inhibition in Youth at Risk for Problematic Alcohol Use. Front Behav Neurosci. 2017 Nov 3;11:205. doi: 10.3389/fnbeh.2017.00205. eCollection 2017. PMCID: PMC5675888
Now in Nature Communications: New Findings on the Maturation of the Striatal Dopamine System Using Positron Emission Tomography and Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Adolescence can be marked by heightened reward drive and sensation-seeking behaviors, which engage the reward system. These behaviors are thought to be caused by a developmental peak in dopamine processing in the nucleus accumbens, part of the striatal reward system. However, a better understanding of the relationship between these behaviors and dopamine has been difficult to achieve because the standard techniques...
Meet the Neurochicks: This Group of Senior Faculty Members Provide Each Other Support, Encouragement and Good Research Ideas
“During the whole of my training, I had only one female mentor,” remembers Mary Phillips, MD MD (Cantab) (Pittsburgh Foundation-Emmerling Endowed Chair in Psychotic Disorders and Professor of Psychiatry and Clinical and Translational Science). “If you never see a woman as a leader, you risk internalizing the belief that women can’t succeed in that role.” Dr. Phillips counts herself among the Neurochicks, an...
Three studies are featured below as Pitt Psychiatry “game changers” for their contributions to research on visualizing the human brain. Longitudinal Changes in Brain Activation during Anticipation of Monetary Loss in Bipolar Disorder Investigators including Anna Manelis, PhD, and Mary Phillips, MD, have, for the first time, examined longitudinal changes in brain activation during win and loss anticipation to...
Now in American Journal of Psychiatry: Age-Associated Deviations of Amygdala Functional Connectivity and Psychosis Spectrum Disorders
Examining brain development and changes in connectivity during adolescence is critical to developing a deeper understanding of psychosis spectrum disorders, which often emerge during the transition from adolescence to adulthood. The amygdala, a key brain region associated with emotion regulation processes that undergo significant changes during adolescence, is closely linked with psychosis. It is possible to...