Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Montez DF, Calabro FJ, Luna B. The expression of established cognitive brain states stabilizes with working memory development. Elife. 2017 Aug 19;6. pii: e25606. doi: 10.7554/eLife.25606. PMCID: PMC5578740
- Jalbrzikowski M, Larsen B, Hallquist MN, Foran W, Calabro F, Luna B. Development of White Matter Microstructure and Intrinsic Functional Connectivity Between the Amygdala and Ventromedial Prefrontal Cortex: Associations With Anxiety and Depression. Biol Psychiatry. 2017 Oct 1;82(7):511-521. doi: 10.1016/j.biopsych.2017.01.008. Epub 2017 Jan 17. PMCID: PMC5522367
- Hallquist MN, Geier CF, Luna B. Incentives facilitate developmental improvement in inhibitory control by modulating control-related networks. Neuroimage. 2018 May 15;172:369-380. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2018.01.045. Epub 2018 Jan 31. PMCID: PMC5910226
- Murty VP, Shah H, Montez D, Foran W, Calabro F, Luna B. Age-Related Trajectories of Functional Coupling between the VTA and Nucleus Accumbens Depend on Motivational State. J Neurosci. 2018 Aug 22;38(34):7420-7427. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.3508-17.2018. Epub 2018 Jul 20. PMCID: PMC6104300
- Marek S, Tervo-Clemmens B, Klein N, Foran W, Ghuman AS, Luna B. Adolescent development of cortical oscillations: Power, phase, and support of cognitive maturation. PLoS Biol. 2018 Nov 30;16(11):e2004188. doi: 10.1371/journal.pbio.2004188. eCollection 2018 Nov. PMID: 30500809
Clinical InterestsSelected Clinical Publications & Products
- Jalbrzikowski M, Murty VP, Tervo-Clemmens B, Foran W, Luna B. Age-associated deviations of Amygdala function connectivity in youths with psychosis spectrum disorders: relevance to psychotic symptoms. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2019 Jan 18. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp.2018.18040443 [Epub ahead of print]
- Murty VP, McKinney RA, DuBrow S, Jalbrzikowski M, Haas GL, Luna B. Differential patterns of contextual organization of memory in first-episode psychosis. NPJ Schizophr. 2018 Feb 15;4(1):3. doi: 10.1038/s41537-018-0046-8. PMCID: PMC5814439
- Tervo-Clemmens B, Simmonds D, Calabro FJ, Montez DF, Lekht JA, Day NL, Richardson GA, Luna B. Early Cannabis Use and Neurocognitive Risk: A Prospective Functional Neuroimaging Study. Biol Psychiatry Cogn Neurosci Neuroimaging. 2018 Aug;3(8):713-725. doi: 10.1016/j.bpsc.2018.05.004. Epub 2018 May 29. PMID: 30033100
- Jalbrzikowski M, Murty VP, Stan PL, Saifullan J, Simmonds D, Foran W, Luna B. Differentiating between clinical and behavioral phenotypes in first-episode psychosis during maintenance of visuospatial working memory. Schizophr Res. 2017 Nov 11. pii: S0920-9964(17)30689-8. doi: 10.1016/j.schres.2017.11.012. [Epub ahead of print] PMCID: PMC5948111
- Tervo-Clemmens B, Quach A, Luna B, Foran W, Chung T, De Bellis MD, Clark DB. Neural Correlates of Rewarded Response Inhibition in Youth at Risk for Problematic Alcohol Use. Front Behav Neurosci. 2017 Nov 3;11:205. doi: 10.3389/fnbeh.2017.00205. eCollection 2017. PMCID: PMC5675888
New Research on the Effects of Clozapine on Treatment-Resistant Schizophrenia
Deepak Sarpal, MD (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry), conducts research on the neurobiology of psychosis, focusing on schizophrenia. With a particular interest in treatment outcomes in psychotic disorders, Dr. Sarpal recently published two papers examining the effects of clozapine on treatment-resistant schizophrenia. Clozapine is an antipsychotic medication that exhibits superior efficacy for psychotic symptoms...
Daniel Buysse, MD, Beatriz Luna, PhD, and Mary Phillips, MD, MD (Cantab), Honored with Distinguished Professorships
We are delighted to announce that Daniel Buysse, MD, Beatriz Luna, PhD, and Mary Phillips, MD, MD (Cantab), have each been appointed Distinguished Professor by the University of Pittsburgh. A distinguished professorship constitutes the highest honor that the University can accord a member of the professoriate. Daniel Buysse, MD (Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry and UPMC Endowed Chair in Sleep Medicine) Dr...
Beatriz Luna, PhD, Receives the 2022 Provost’s Award for Excellence in Doctoral Mentoring
Beatriz Luna, PhD (Staunton Professor of Pediatrics and Psychiatry and Professor of Psychology), has been selected as a recipient of the 2022 Provost’s Award for Excellence in Doctoral Mentoring. This award annually recognizes outstanding mentors who have had the greatest impact on students seeking research doctorate degrees. Dr. Luna is an internationally recognized developmental neuroscientist. She is a world...
Beatriz Luna, PhD, Earns National Institute of Mental Health Method to Extend Research in Time (MERIT) Award
Beatriz Luna, PhD (Staunton Professor of Pediatrics and Psychiatry and Professor of Psychology) has received a National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) Method to Extend Research in Time (MERIT) Award. Dr. Luna is an internationally recognized developmental neuroscientist. Her research focuses on characterizing the changes in brain function that subserved the maturation of cognition by bridging developmental...