Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Goldstein, T. R., Krantz, M. L., Fersch-Podrat, R. K., Hotkowski, N. J., Merranko, J., Sobel, L., Axelson, D., Birmaher, B., & Douaihy, A. A brief motivational intervention for enhancing medication adherence for adolescents with bipolar disorder: A pilot randomized trial. 2020, Journal of affective disorders, 265, 19
- Metsch LR, Feaster DJ, Gooden L, Matheson T, Stitzer M, Das M, Jain MK, Rodriguez AE, Armstrong WS, Lucas GM, Nijhawan AE, Drainoni ML, Herrera P, Vergara-Rodriguez P, Jacobson JM, Mugavero MJ, Sullivan M, Daar ES, McMahon DK, Ferris DC, Lindblad R, VanVeldhuisen P, Oden N, Castelln, Tross S, Haynes LF, Douaihy A, Sorensen JL, Metzger DS, Mandler RN, Colfax GN, del Rio C. Effect of Patient Navigation With or Without Financial Incentives on Viral Suppression Among Hospitalized Patients With HIV Infection and Substance Use. A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2016, 316(2): 156-170.
- Winhusen T, Kropp F, Lindblad R, Douaihy A, Haynes L, Hodgkins C. Chartier K, Kampman KM, Sharma G, Lewis DF, VanVeldhuisen P, Theobald J, May J, Brigham GS. A multi-site, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot clinical trial to evaluate the efficacy of buspirone as a relapse-prevention treatment for cocaine dependence. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 2014, 75(7):757-64.
- Metsch LR, Feaster DJ, Gooden L, Schackman BR, Matheson T, Das M, Golden MR, Huffaker S, Haynes LF, Tross S, Malotte CK, Douaihy A, Korthuis PT, Duffus WA, Henn S, Bolan R, Philip SS, Castro JG, Castellon PC, McLaughlin G, Mandler RN, Branson B, Colfax GM. Effect of Risk-Reduction Counseling with Rapid HIV Testing on Risk of Acquiring Sexually Transmitted Infections. The AWARE Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA 2013, 310(16):1701-1710.
- Bogenschutz M, Donovan D, Mandler R, Perl H, Forcehimes A, Crandall C, Lindblad R, Oden N, Sharma G, Metsch L, Lyons M, McCormack R, Konstantopoulos WM, Douaihy A. Brief intervention for drug users presenting in emergency departments. JAMA Internal Medicine, 2014, 174(11):1736-45.
- Wilkening GL, Kucherer SA, Douaihy AB. Priapism and renal colic in a patient treated with duloxetine. Ment Health Clin. 2016, 6(4):197-200.
- Beth D. Kennard, Candice Biernesser, Kristin L. Wolfe, Aleksandra A. Foxwell, Simon J. Craddock Lee, Katie V. Rial, Sarita Patel, Carol Cheng, Tina Goldstein, Dana, McMakin, Beatriz Blastos, Antoine Douaihy, Jamie Zelazny & David A. Brent. Developing a Brief Suicide Prevention Intervention and Mobile Phone Application: A Qualitative Report. Journal of Technology in Human Services, 2015, 33(4):345-357.
- Kelly TM, Daley DC, Douaihy AB. Treatment of substance abusing patients with comorbid psychiatric disorders. Addictive Behaviors 2012, 37(1):11-24.
- Douaihy AB, Kelly TM, Sullivan C. Medications for substance use disorders. Social Work in Public Health 2013, 28(3-4):264-278.
- Brent DA, McMakin DL, Kennard BD, Goldstein TR, Mayes TL, Douaihy AB. Protecting adolescents from self-harm: A critical review of intervention studies. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2013, 52(12):1260-1271.
- Fertig AM, Tew JD, Douaihy AB, Nash KC, Solai LK, Travis MJ, Zippay LB, Matthews KA, Lewis DA. Developing a Clinician Educator Faculty Development Program: Lessons Learned. Acad Psychiatry. 2016, DOI: 10.1007/s40596-016-0596-x. PMID: 27538911.
- Nightingale B, Gopalan P, Azzam P, Douaihy A, Conti T. Teaching brief motivational interventions for diabetes to family medicine residents. Fam Med 2016, 48(3):187-193.
- Malas N, Rofey D, Kuchera AM, Fletcher J, Ortiz-Aguayo R, Douaihy A, Gold M. Motivational interviewing in paediatric residency. The Clinical Teacher. 2016, DOI: 10.1111/tct.12503.
- Douaihy A, Kelly TM, Gold MA (Editors). Motivational Interviewing: A Guide for Medical Trainees, New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2014.
- Douaihy A & Daley DC (Editors). Substance Use Disorders, Pittsburgh Pocket Series. NY: Oxford University Press. DJ Kupfer & M Travis (Series editors), 2013.
Motivational Interviewing Strategies for Addressing COVID-19 Vaccine Hesitancy
Vaccine hesitancy around COVID-19, in which individuals neither fully accept nor fully reject the COVID-19 vaccine, presents a major health threat in the midst of the current pandemic. In some instances, traditional approaches for addressing vaccine hesitancy in health care can increase feelings of reluctance. Motivational interviewing, a collaborative conversation style for strengthening motivation and commitment...
Health Equity and Youth Suicide
The Services for Teens at Risk (STAR)-Center is a nationally recognized suicide prevention program that combines clinical and outreach services designed to combat the problem of child and adolescent suicide. The STAR-Center provides outpatient assessment and treatment for depressed and anxious children and teens, and offers acute treatment to depressed and suicidal youth through the Center’s intensive outpatient...
Highlights from the 2022 Department of Psychiatry Clinician-Educator Showcase
On March 24, 2022, Pitt Psychiatry clinician-educator faculty and UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital residents and fellows gathered virtually for the Department’s 10th Annual Clinician-Educator Showcase. Department Chair David Lewis, MD, joked that given the hope for a return to in-person events, “next year we will hold a second 10th Showcase!” The Clinician-Educator Showcase is an annual opportunity for clinician...
Psychiatry Honored with Four Teaching Awards from the School of Medicine
Congratulations to Alex Israel, MD (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry); Antoine Douaihy, MD (Professor of Psychiatry & Medicine); Julie Kmiec, DO (Associate Professor of Psychiatry); and Jessica Kettel, MD, PhD (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry), who have been honored for excellence in education at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Curriculum Colloquium. Each year, the Pitt School of Medicine...