Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Freyberg Z, Aslanoglou D, Shah R, Ballon JS. Intrinsic and Antipsychotic Drug-Induced Metabolic Dysfunction in Schizophrenia. Front. Neurosci. 2017 July; 11:432. doi: 10.3389/fnins.2017.00432.
- McCarthy M, Freyberg Z. Dopamine D2 Receptors and the Circadian Clock Reciprocally Mediate Antipsychotic Drug Metabolic Disturbances. npj Schizophrenia 2017 Apr; 3(17): doi:10.1038/s41537-017-0018-4. PubMed PMID: 28560263.
- Freyberg Z, Sonders MS, Aguilar JI, Hiranita T, Karam CS, Flores J, Pizzo AB, Zhang Y, Farino ZJ, Chen A, Martin CA, Kopajtic TA, Fei H, Hu G, Lin YY, Mosharov EV, McCabe BD, Freyberg R, Wimalasena K, Hsin LW, Sames D, Krantz DE, Katz JL, Sulzer D, Javitch JA. Mechanisms of amphetamine action illuminated through in vivo optical monitoring of dopamine synaptic vesicles. Nature Communications 2016 Feb 16; 7:10652 doi: 10.1038/ncomms10652. PubMed PMID: 26879809.
- Farino ZJ, Morgenstern TJ, Vallaghe J, Gregor N, Donthamsetti P, Harris PE, Pierre N, Freyberg R, Charrier-Savournin F, Javitch JA, Freyberg Z. Development of a homogenous time-resolved fluorescence assay for rapid insulin measurement. PLoS ONE 2016 Feb 5; 11(2): e0148684. PubMed PMID: 26849707.
- Simpson N, Maffei A, Freeby M, Burroughs S, Freyberg Z, Javitch J, Leibel RL, Harris PE. Dopamine-mediated autocrine inhibitory circuit regulating human insulin secretion in vitro. Mol Endocrinol. 2012 Oct; 26(10): 1757-1772. PubMed PMID: 22915827.
- Freyberg R, Chung CK, Freyberg, Z, Barnhill J, Ferrando S, Pennebaker, JW. The Write Stuff: Relationships between narrative content and psychiatric illness. Narrative Inquiry 2014; 24: 28-39.
- Freyberg Z, Ferrando SJ, Javitch JA. Roles of the Akt/GSK-3 and Wnt signaling pathways in schizophrenia and antipsychotic drug action. Am J Psychiatry 2010 Apr; 167(4): 388-396. PubMed PMID: 19917593.
- APA Work Group on Alzheimer's Disease and other Dementias, Rabins PV, Blacker D, Rovner BW, Rummans T, Schneider LS, Tariot PN, Blass DM; Steering Committee on Practice Guidelines, McIntyre JS, Charles SC, Anzia DJ, Cook IA, Finnerty MT, Johnson BR, Nininger JE, Schneidman B, Summergrad P, Woods SM, Berger J, Cross CD, Brandt HA, Margolis PM, Shemo JP, Blinder BJ, Duncan DL, Barnovitz MA, Carino AJ, Freyberg Z, Gray SH, Tonnu T, Kunkle R, Albert AB, Craig TJ, Regier DA, Fochtmann LJ. Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with Alzheimer's disease and other dementias. Second edition. Am J Psychiatry 2007 Dec; 164 (12 Suppl): 5-56. PubMed PMID: 18340692.
- Ferrando SJ, Freyberg Z. Treatment of depression in HIV positive individuals: a critical review. Int Rev Psychiatry 2008 Feb; 20(1): 61-71. PubMed PMID: 18240063.
- Floyd S, Butler MH, Cremona O, David C, Freyberg Z, Zhang X, Solimena M, Tokunaga A, Ishizu H, Tsutsui K, De Camilli P. Expression of amphiphysin I, an autoantigen of paraneoplastic neurological syndromes, in breast cancer. Mol Med. 1998 Jan; 4(1): 29-39. PubMed PMID: 9513187.
Education InterestsSelected Education Publications & Products
- Freyberg R, Freyberg Z. Behavioral and Social Sciences. in: Ferrando S, (ed.), Psychiatry-In-Review 2006. Educational Testing and Assessment Systems, NY, NY.
- Freyberg Z, Savitz A. Schizophrenia. in Ferrando S, (ed.), Psychiatry-In-Review 2006. Educational Testing and Assessment Systems, NY, NY.
- Freyberg Z. Schizophrenia and Violence. in: Barnhill J, (ed.), Approaching the Psychiatric Patient 1st Edition 2008. APA Press, Washington, D.C.
Recent Study in Science Advances Reports Discovery of Ribosome-Associated Vesicles, a Novel Form of Endoplasmic Reticulum
Scientists representing an international consortium of labs—including postdoctoral associate Despoina Aslanoglou, PhD, Kenneth Fish, PhD, and the study’s senior author, Zach Freyberg, MD, PhD, from Pitt Psychiatry—has published a new study in Science Advances, reporting new insights into the organization of the endoplasmic reticulum. The endoplasmic reticulum is a membrane network within a cell that is important in...
“This summer has been one of the most transformative times of my life”: The 10th Annual Center for Translational Mental Health Research Undergraduate Research Program
This summer marks the 10th year of the Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program, funded by the NIMH Conte Center for Translational Mental Health Research. The competitive 10-week summer program provides undergraduate students studying neuroscience, biology and psychology, among other fields, the opportunity to conduct hands-on, cutting-edge neuroscience research under the mentorship of clinical and basic...
Zach Freyberg, MD, PhD, Wins Society of Biological Psychiatry A.E. Bennett Research Award
Congratulations to Zach Freyberg, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Cell Biology, who has received the A.E. Bennett Research Award at the annual meeting of the Society of Biological Psychiatry. The A.E. Bennett Award recognizes the achievements of young investigators in biological psychiatry. Dr. Freyberg’s research examines the biological underpinnings of schizophrenia and the clinical efficacy of the...
The Effects of Dopamine and Antipsychotic Drugs on the Body’s Ability to Respond to Insulin
A recent study in Molecular Psychiatry shares findings that help explain how antipsychotic drugs might contribute to the development of conditions such as diabetes and obesity by influencing dopamine receptors outside of the brain. The study’s lead author, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Cell Biology Zachary Freyberg, MD, PhD, shared how this investigation evolved and considered avenues for further research...