Sarah T Stahl, PhD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Stahl ST, Altmann HM, Dew MA, Albert SM, Butters M, Gildengers A, Reynolds CF, Karp JK. The effects of gait speed and psychomotor speed on risk for depression and anxiety in older adults with medical comorbidities. J Amer Geriatr Soc. 2020; In press.
- Stahl ST, Rodakowski J, Smagula SF. Timing of daily activities over a 24-hour period and affective status among a national cohort of older dementia caregivers J Aging Health. 2020; In press.
- Stahl ST, Smagula SF, Rodakowski J, Dew MA, Albert SM, Karp JF, Butters M, Gildengers A, Reynolds CF. Subjective sleep quality and trajectories of interleukin-6 in older adults. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2020; In press.
- Stahl ST, Smagula SF, Dew MA, Albert SM, Schulz RA, Reynolds, CF. Digital monitoring of sleep, meals, and physical activity for reducing depression in older spousally-bereaved adults: A pilot randomized controlled trial. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2020; 28(10): 1102-1106.
- Altmann H, Stahl ST, Gebara MA, Lenze EJ, Mulsant B, Blumberger D, Reynolds CF, Karp JF. Co-prescribed benzodiazepines in older adults receiving antidepressants for anxiety and depressive disorders: Association with treatment outcomes. J Clin Psychiatry. 2020; 81(6): 20m13283.
COVID-19 Coping Strategies from Pitt Psychiatry
Physical distancing, stay-at-home orders and economic uncertainty resulting from the current COVID-19 pandemic have raised behavioral health concerns for many people. Below is a selection of strategies from Department of Psychiatry faculty and trainees on how to cope with the drastic alteration of our home, social and professional lives. For Kids and Adolescents Rameshwari Tumuluru, MD, an expert in helping...
How Opioids Affect Serotonin-Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor Venlafaxine Treatment for Depression & Chronic Pain in Older Adults
Chronic low back pain and depression are common and frequently co-occurring in late life. Yet treatment can be challenging as these conditions are risk factors for each other, and both interfere with the other’s treatment response. Opioids may be a marker of poor treatment response for both depression and pain. In addition, there is limited evidence of the efficacy of opioids for patients with chronic pain, and...
AAGP Early Career Scientist Award
Sarah T. Stahl, PhD, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, has been presented with the 2017 Barry Lebowitz Early Career Scientist Award by the American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry (AAGP). The award is presented by the AAGP to an early career scientist who demonstrates an outstanding academic track record in the field of geriatric mental health. Dr. Stahl?s research focuses on developing and testing lifestyle...
Sarah Stahl, PhD Joins Faculty
Please join us in welcoming Sarah T. Stahl, PhD, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry to the Department of Psychiatry faculty. Dr. Stahl earned her PhD in Life-span Developmental Psychology in 2011 from West Virginia University. She completed a postdoctoral fellowship in the Clinical Research Training in Geriatric Psychiatry program (T32) at the University of Pittsburgh prior to her appointment to the Department of...