Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Stahl ST, Altmann HM, Dew MA, Albert SM, Butters M, Gildengers A, Reynolds CF, Karp JK. The effects of gait speed and psychomotor speed on risk for depression and anxiety in older adults with medical comorbidities. J Amer Geriatr Soc. In press.
- Stahl ST, Rodakowski J, Smagula SF. Timing of daily activities over a 24-hour period and affective status among a national cohort of older dementia caregivers J Aging Health. In press.
- Stahl ST, Neagoe I, Smagula SF, Posluszny DM, Bovbjerg DH. Cancer bereavement and depression symptoms in older spouses: The modifying role of the circadian rest-activity rhythm. Clin Gerontol. 2021; 44: 126-132.
- Stahl ST, Smagula SF, Dew MA, Albert SM, Schulz RA, Reynolds, CF. Digital monitoring of sleep, meals, and physical activity for reducing depression in older spousally-bereaved adults: A pilot randomized controlled trial. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2020; 28(10): 1102-1106.
- Altmann H, Stahl ST, Gebara MA, Lenze EJ, Mulsant B, Blumberger D, Reynolds CF, Karp JF. Co-prescribed benzodiazepines in older adults receiving antidepressants for anxiety and depressive disorders: Association with treatment outcomes. J Clin Psychiatry. 2020; 81(6): 20m13283.
- Ferguson K, Reitschuler-Cross E, Stahl ST. A multimethod examination of medical students experiences with bereavement and complicated grief. OMEGA-J Death Dying. 2021; In press
Carla Mazefsky, PhD, & Sarah Stahl, PhD, Honored for Medical Student Research Mentorship
Congratulations to Carla Mazefsky, PhD (Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Psychology), & Sarah Stahl, PhD (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Clinical and Translational Science), who have received Medical Student Research Mentoring Merit Awards from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Research Mentoring Merit Awards recognize outstanding Longitudinal Research Project mentorship of graduating...
COVID-19 Coping Strategies from Pitt Psychiatry
Physical distancing, stay-at-home orders and economic uncertainty resulting from the current COVID-19 pandemic have raised behavioral health concerns for many people. Below is a selection of strategies from Department of Psychiatry faculty and trainees on how to cope with the drastic alteration of our home, social and professional lives. For Kids and Adolescents Rameshwari Tumuluru, MD, an expert in helping...
How Opioids Affect Serotonin-Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor Venlafaxine Treatment for Depression & Chronic Pain in Older Adults
Chronic low back pain and depression are common and frequently co-occurring in late life. Yet treatment can be challenging as these conditions are risk factors for each other, and both interfere with the other’s treatment response. Opioids may be a marker of poor treatment response for both depression and pain. In addition, there is limited evidence of the efficacy of opioids for patients with chronic pain, and...
AAGP Early Career Scientist Award
Sarah T. Stahl, PhD, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, has been presented with the 2017 Barry Lebowitz Early Career Scientist Award by the American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry (AAGP). The award is presented by the AAGP to an early career scientist who demonstrates an outstanding academic track record in the field of geriatric mental health. Dr. Stahl?s research focuses on developing and testing lifestyle...