Peter L Franzen, PhD
Education & Training
- Hasler BP, Franzen PL, de Zambotti M, Prouty D, Brown SA, Tapert SF, Pfefferbaum A, Pohl K, Sullivan E, De Bellis M, Nagel B, Baker F, Colrain I, Clark DB (2017): Eveningness and Later Sleep Timing Are Associated with Greater Risk for Alcohol and Marijuana Use in Adolescence: Initial Findings from the National Consortium on Alcohol and Neurodevelopment in Adolescence Study. Alcoholism, clinical and experimental research, 41(6):1154-65.
- McMakin DL, Dahl RE, Buysse DJ, Cousins JC, Forbes EE, Silk JS, Siegle GJ, Franzen PL (2016): The Impact of Experimental Sleep Restriction on Affective Functioning in Social and Non-Social Contexts among Adolescents. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry. 57(9),1027-37. doi: 10.1111/jcpp.12568. PMID:27302148
- Levenson JC, Miller E, Hafer BL, Buysse DJ, Franzen PL (2016): Pilot study of a sleep health promotion program among college students. Sleep Health. 2(2), 167-174. DOI: 10.1016/j.sleh.2016.03.006 PMID: PMID: 27525300
- Franzen PL, Gianaros PJ, Marsland AL, Hall MH, Siegle GJ, Dahl RE, Buysse DJ (2011): Cardiovascular reactivity to acute psychological stress following sleep deprivation. Psychosomatic Medicine, 73(8), 679-682. PMCID: PMC3614084
- Franzen PL , Buysse DJ, Dahl RE, Thompson W, Siegle GJ (2009): Sleep deprivation alters pupillary reactivity to emotional stimuli in healthy young adults. Biological Psychology, 80, 300-305. PMCID: PMC3107827
The 5th Annual Sleep & Circadian Science Research Day Presents the Latest in Sleep and Circadian Science Research
Sleep researchers including Pitt Psychiatry faculty, trainees and students gathered in late November at the Pitt University Club to explore new research in the field of sleep and circadian science at the Center for Sleep and Circadian Science Research Day. Adriane Soehner, PhD (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry), chair of the organizing committee that included members across psychiatry, nursing, public health...
Behavioral Health Experts, Patients & Families Gather for Child and Adolescent Bipolar Spectrum Services Conference
“It’s not like I don’t have problems anymore, but it’s manageable with my support system. There will be setbacks, but you have to trust the process.” A young adult living with bipolar disorder opened the third Child and Adolescent Bipolar Spectrum Services (CABS) Conference, speaking to a diverse group of behavioral health professionals, as well as patients and their families, assembled to learn about early...
Department Faculty Highlight the Role of Adolescent Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disruptions in Risk of Substance Use Disorders
Sleep and circadian rhythms, the 24-hour cycles of the body’s physiological processes, are important components of health. Likewise, disruptions in these systems are linked to a number of health conditions, including substance abuse. The developmental changes in sleep and circadian rhythms that occur during adolescence leave teenagers particularly vulnerable to addiction. A review recently published in the journal...
Hot Publication - Buysse & Colleagues
Sleep-Wake differences in relative regional cerebral metabolic rate for glucose among patients with insomnia compared with good sleepersKay DB, Karim HT, Soehner AM, Hasler BP, Wilckens KA, James JA, Aizenstein HJ, Price JC, Rosario BL, Kupfer DJ, Germain A, Hall MH, Franzen PL, Nofzinger EA and Buysse DJSLEEP 2016, 39:1779-1794The neurobiological mechanisms of insomnia may involve altered patterns of activation...