Peter L Franzen, PhD
Education & Training
- Hasler BP, Franzen PL, de Zambotti M, Prouty D, Brown SA, Tapert SF, Pfefferbaum A, Pohl K, Sullivan E, De Bellis M, Nagel B, Baker F, Colrain I, Clark DB (2017): Eveningness and Later Sleep Timing Are Associated with Greater Risk for Alcohol and Marijuana Use in Adolescence: Initial Findings from the National Consortium on Alcohol and Neurodevelopment in Adolescence Study. Alcoholism, clinical and experimental research, 41(6):1154-65.
- McMakin DL, Dahl RE, Buysse DJ, Cousins JC, Forbes EE, Silk JS, Siegle GJ, Franzen PL (2016): The Impact of Experimental Sleep Restriction on Affective Functioning in Social and Non-Social Contexts among Adolescents. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry. 57(9),1027-37. doi: 10.1111/jcpp.12568. PMID:27302148
- Levenson JC, Miller E, Hafer BL, Buysse DJ, Franzen PL (2016): Pilot study of a sleep health promotion program among college students. Sleep Health. 2(2), 167-174. DOI: 10.1016/j.sleh.2016.03.006 PMID: PMID: 27525300
- Franzen PL, Gianaros PJ, Marsland AL, Hall MH, Siegle GJ, Dahl RE, Buysse DJ (2011): Cardiovascular reactivity to acute psychological stress following sleep deprivation. Psychosomatic Medicine, 73(8), 679-682. PMCID: PMC3614084
- Franzen PL , Buysse DJ, Dahl RE, Thompson W, Siegle GJ (2009): Sleep deprivation alters pupillary reactivity to emotional stimuli in healthy young adults. Biological Psychology, 80, 300-305. PMCID: PMC3107827
Diverse Scientists Worldwide Join the Inaugural Summer SWIM, a Virtual Sleep & Circadian Science Workshop
In August 2020, 74 scientists from five continents joined the Department of Psychiatry’s virtual Summer SWIM (Sleep and Circadian Workshop on Indispensable Methods), led by Martica Hall, PhD (Professor of Psychiatry, Psychology and Clinical and Translational Science), and Daniel Buysse, MD (UPMC Professor of Sleep Medicine (Professor of Psychiatry and Clinical and Translational Science), of the University of...
Pitt Psychiatry Awarded $14.8M National Institute on Drug Abuse Center Grant Focused on the Role of Sleep and Circadian Rhythms in Substance Abuse
The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) has awarded Pitt Psychiatry a Center of Excellence (P50) grant to fund the Center for Adolescent Reward, Rhythms and Sleep (CARRS). The CARRS Center will be led by Colleen McClung, PhD (Professor of Psychiatry and Clinical and Translational Science) and Daniel Buysse, MD (UPMC Professor of Sleep Medicine and Professor of Psychiatry and Clinical and Translational Science)...
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Promotes Peter Franzen, PhD, to Associate Professor of Psychiatry
We are delighted to announce that Peter Franzen, PhD, has been promoted to Associate Professor of Psychiatry by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. After completing an internship in clinical psychology at UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH), Dr. Franzen received his PhD and joined the Pitt Department of Psychiatry as a postdoctoral scholar and sleep medicine fellow under the mentorship of Daniel...
The 5th Annual Sleep & Circadian Science Research Day Presents the Latest in Sleep and Circadian Science Research
Sleep researchers including Pitt Psychiatry faculty, trainees and students gathered in late November at the Pitt University Club to explore new research in the field of sleep and circadian science at the Center for Sleep and Circadian Science Research Day. Adriane Soehner, PhD (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry), chair of the organizing committee that included members across psychiatry, nursing, public health...