Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Hafeman DM, Merranko J, Goldstein TR, Axelson D, Goldstein BI, Monk K, Hickey MB, Sakolsky D, Diler R, Iyengar S, Brent DA, Kupfer DJ, Kattan MW, Birmaher B. Assessment of a Person-Level Risk Calculator to Predict New-Onset Bipolar Spectrum Disorder in Youth at Familial Risk. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017.
- Hafeman D, Bebko G, Bertocci MA, Fournier JC, Chase HW, Bonar L, Perlman SB, Travis M, Gill MK, Diwadkar VA, Sunshine JL, Holland SK, Kowatch RA, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Horwitz SM, Arnold LE, Fristad MA, Frazier TW, Youngstrom EA, Findling RL, Phillips ML. Amygdala-prefrontal cortical functional connectivity during implicit emotion processing differentiates youth with bipolar spectrum from youth with externalizing disorders. J Affect Disord. 2017;208:94-100.
- Hafeman DM, Merranko J, Axelson D, Goldstein BI, Goldstein T, Monk K, Hickey MB, Sakolsky D, Diler R, Iyengar S, Brent D, Kupfer D, Birmaher B. Toward the Definition of a Bipolar Prodrome: Dimensional Predictors of Bipolar Spectrum Disorders in At-Risk Youths. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2016;173(7):695-704.
- Hafeman DM, Bebko G, Bertocci MA, Fournier JC, Bonar L, Perlman SB, Travis M, Gill MK, Diwadkar VA, Sunshine JL, Holland SK, Kowatch RA, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Horwitz SM, Arnold LE, Fristad MA, Frazier TW, Youngstrom EA, Findling RL, Drevets W, Phillips ML. Abnormal deactivation of the inferior frontal gyrus during implicit emotion processing in youth with bipolar disorder: attenuated by medication. J Psychiatr Res. 2014;58:129-136.
- Hafeman D, Axelson D, Demeter C, Findling RL, Fristad MA, Kowatch RA, Youngstrom EA, Horwitz SM, Arnold LE, Frazier TW, Ryan N, Gill MK, Hauser-Harrington JC, Depew J, Rowles BM, Birmaher B. Phenomenology of bipolar disorder not otherwise specified in youth: a comparison of clinical characteristics across the spectrum of manic symptoms. Bipolar Disord. 2013;15(3):240-252.
Now in the Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry: Lithium and Improved Outcomes in Bipolar Youth
“I came to this research with a specific question inspired by recent literature showing that, in adults with bipolar disorder, lithium is superior to other mood stabilizers,” said Dr. Danella Hafeman, lead author on a recent study in Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. “But there was not similar research around mood stabilizers in young people with bipolar disorder,” she added. Dr...
New Research in the Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Examines Family Functioning in Offspring of Bipolar Parents
For people living with bipolar disorder, challenging family relations can both result from and aggravate the disorder’s symptoms. Existing studies that examine the family environment of young people with familial risk for bipolar disorder have not distinguished whether stressors—such as high rates of conflict—are uniquely related to this disorder or are similarly experienced by families affected by other, non...
“This summer has been one of the most transformative times of my life”: The 10th Annual Center for Translational Mental Health Research Undergraduate Research Program
This summer marks the 10th year of the Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program, funded by the NIMH Conte Center for Translational Mental Health Research. The competitive 10-week summer program provides undergraduate students studying neuroscience, biology and psychology, among other fields, the opportunity to conduct hands-on, cutting-edge neuroscience research under the mentorship of clinical and basic...
Now in Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry: Sleep Disturbances & Increasing Psychiatric Symptoms in High-Risk Youth
Major psychiatric disorders often arise during childhood and adolescence, especially among children whose parents have a psychiatric illness. Sleep patterns also shift substantially during the transition from childhood to adolescence. Sleep disturbances, often associated with most forms of psychopathology, have been identified as a promising behavioral intervention target to help treat young people with psychiatric...