Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Andreescu C, Lee S. Anxiety disorders in the elderly. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2020;1191:561-576. PMID: 32002946.
- Andreescu C, Ajilore O, Aizenstein HJ, Albert K, Butters MA, Landman BA, Karim HT, Krafty R, Taylor WD. Disruption of neural homeostatis as a model of relapse and recurrence in late-life depression. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2019 Dec;27(12):1316-1330.
- Inagaki TK, Hazlett LI, Andreescu C. Opioids and social bonding: Effect of naltrexone on feelings of social connection and ventral striatum activity to close others. J Exp Psychol Gen. 2020 Apr;149(4):732-745. doi: 10.1037/xge0000674. Epub 2019 Aug 15.PMID: 31414860
- Karim HT, Tudorascu DL, Walker S, Aizenstein JH, and Andreescu C. In the grip of worry cerebral blood flow changes during worry induction and reappraisal in late-life generalized anxiety disorder. Translational Psychiatry, 2017
- Andreescu C, Sheu LK, Tudorascu D, Gross JJ, Walker S, Banihashemi L, Aizenstein H. Emotion reactivity and regulation in late-life generalized anxiety disorder: Functional connectivity at baseline and post-treatment. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2015
- Andreescu C, Varon D. New research on anxiety disorders in the elderly and an update on evidence-based treatments. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2015
- Aizenstein HJ, Khalaf A, Walker SE, Andreescu C. Magnetic resonance imaging predictors of treatment response in late-life depression. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 2014
- Andreescu C, Aizenstein H. MRI studies in late-life mood disorders. Curr Top Behav Neurosci. 2012
- Varon D, Andreescu C: Amnestic Disorders and Mild Cognitive Impairment, in Kaplan & Sadocks Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, 10th edition. Eds Benjamin J. Sadock, Virginia Alcott Sadock, Pedro Ruiz; Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, 2016.
- Andreescu C: Late-Life Anxiety Disorders, in Geriatric Psychiatry (Pittsburgh Pocket Psychiatry). Eds. Mark D. Miller, LalithKumar K.Solai. Oxford University Press, New York, NY. 2013
- Lenze EJ, Wetherell JL, Andreescu C: Anxiety Disorders, in Essentials of Geriatric Psychiatry, 2nd edition. Eds Dan G. Blazer, David C. Steffens, American Psychiatric Publishing Press, Arlington VA, 2012
- Andreescu C, Aizenstein HJ: Amnestic Disorders and Mild Cognitive Impairment, in Kaplan & Sadocks Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, 9th edition. Eds Benjamin J. Sadock, Virginia Alcott Sadock, Pedro Ruiz; Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, 2010
- Lenze EJ, Wetherell JL, Andreescu C: Anxiety Disorders in the Elderly, in American Psychiatric Association Textbook of Geriatric Neuropsychiatry, 3rd edition. American Psychiatric Publishing Inc., 2011
Independent Replication of Advanced Brain Age in Mild Cognitive Impairment and Dementia: Detection of Future Cognitive Dysfunction
Models of the aging process are becoming prevalent in multiple fields, and over the last decade, scientists have used brain aging markers to identify important neuroanatomical differences in multiple psychiatric disorders. These markers may provide individualized risk assessments and predictions for age-associated neurodegenerative diseases, and have recently been used to demonstrate the association between greater...
Magnetic Resonance Imaging Predictors of Pharmacotherapy Response in Major Depressive Disorder
Major depressive disorder is among the most prevalent psychiatric disorders, affecting nearly 300 million people worldwide, and exacting a substantial personal, social, and economic toll. Antidepressant treatment typically involves an individualized trial-and-error approach with an inconsistent success rate. Given the negative outcomes associated with depression, there is a pressing need for the development of...
Psychiatry Residents Present Robust Research at the 5th Annual Psychiatry Research Pathway Symposium
The Psychiatry Research Pathway (PRP) Symposium provides UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital residents engaged in research the opportunity to present their work to an audience of fellow residents, faculty mentors, T32 postdoctoral research program directors, and other members of our academic community. This year, seven residents presented current and/or future research, followed by Q&A and lively discussion among the...
Pitt Psychiatry Teams with Global Initiative on Psychiatry USA to Aid Ukrainian Mental Health
The war in Ukraine is causing catastrophic human suffering, forcing millions of Ukrainians to flee to safety. In response, the Federation Global Initiative on Psychiatry (FGIP) began a campaign to aid mental health professionals and the general population in dealing with the psychological consequences of the war. Carmen Andreescu, MD (Associate Professor of Psychiatry), and Alex Dombrovski, MD (Associate Professor...