Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Williams DL, Siegel, M, Mazefsky CA. Problem behaviors in autism spectrum disorder: Its more than communication. J Autism Dev Disord;. Advance online publication. 2017 Jun. DOI: 10.1007/s10803-017-3179-0
- Mazefsky, C. A., Day, T. N., Siegel, M., White, S. W., Yu, L., & Pilkonis, P. A. (2016). Development of the Emotion Dysregulation Inventory: A PROMISing Method for Creating Sensitive and Unbiased Questionnaires for Autism Spectrum Disorder. J Autism Dev Disord. Advance online publication. 2016 Oct. DOI: DOI 10.1007/s10803-016-2907-1.
- Mazefsky, CA, Borue, X, Day, TN, & Minshew, N.J. Emotion regulation patterns in adolescents with high-functioning autism spectrum disorder: Comparison to typically developing adolescents and associations with psychopathology. Autism Res. 2014; 7 (3): 344-354.
- Mazefsky C.A., Herrington J, Siegel M, Scarpa A, Maddox B, Scahill L, White SW. The role of emotion regulation in autism spectrum disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2013 Jul; 52(7):679-688.
- Mazefsky CA, Oswald DP, Day T, Eack S, Minshew NJ, Lainhart J. ASD, a psychiatric disorder, or both? Psychiatric diagnoses in adolescents with high-functioning ASD. J Clin Child Adoles Psychol. 2012;41(4):516-523.
Pitt Psychiatry Awarded $11.5M National Institute of Mental Health Center Grant Focused on Investigating Emotional and Mental Health in Autistic Adults
The National Institute of Mental Health has awarded the University of Pittsburgh Department of Psychiatry an Autism Center of Excellence (P50) grant to fund “Mental Health in Autistic Adults: An RDoC Approach.” The University of Pittsburgh Autism Center of Excellence (ACE) will be led by Carla Mazefsky, PhD (Professor of Psychiatry, Psychology, and Clinical and Translational Science). The University of Pittsburgh...
A Naturalistic Study of Emotion Dysregulation, Self-injurious Behavior & Aggression in Autistic Youth
Investigators including Jessie Northrup, PhD (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry), and Carla Mazefsky, PhD (Professor of Psychiatry and Psychology), from Pitt Psychiatry, have conducted a study of how emotion dysregulation—challenges in modulating the intensity and duration of emotional reactions—may relate to aggressive or self-injurious behaviors in autistic individuals. The study, published in Autism Research...
The Department of Psychiatry’s 20th Annual Research Day
The 20th annual Department of Psychiatry Research Day on June 9, 2022, represented a joyful reunion for more than 400 faculty members, trainees, and staff, who had not attended a large in-person event together since 2019. The morning session featured 110 posters at Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh. In the afternoon, attendees gathered across the street at the University...
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Promotes Carla Mazefsky, PhD, to Professor of Psychiatry
We are delighted to announce that Carla Mazefsky, PhD, has been promoted to Professor of Psychiatry by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Dr. Mazefsky earned her PhD in clinical psychology from Virginia Commonwealth University, having completed her clinical internship at the Brown University School of Medicine. She remained at Virginia Commonwealth University for postdoctoral training at the Virginia...