Education & Training
- Handen BL, Aman MG, Arnold LE, Hyman SL, Tumuluru MV, Lecavalier L, Corbett-Dick P, Pan X, Hollway JA, Buchan-Page KA, Silverman LB, Brown NV, Rice Jr, RR, Hellings J, Mruzek DW, McAuliffe-Bellin S, Hurt EA, Ryan MM, Levato L, Smith T. Atomoxetine, parent training, and their combination in children with autism spectrum and ADHD. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2015, 54, 905-915.
- Bearss K, Johnson C, Smith T, Lecavalier L, Swiezy N, Aman M, McAdam DB, Butter E, Stillitano C, Minshawi N, Sukhodolsky D, Mruzek DW, Turner K, Neal T, Hallett V, Mulick JA, Green B, Handen B, Deng Y, Dziura J, Scahill L. Effect of parent training versus parent education on behavioral problems in children with autism spectrum disorder: A randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2015, 313,1524-1533.
- Anagnostou E, Aman MG, Handen BL, Sanders KB, Shui A, Hollway JA, Brian J, Arnold LE, Capano L, Hellings JA, Butter E, Mankad D, Tumuluru R, Kettel J, Newsom CR, Peleg N, Odrobina D, McAuliffe-Bellin S, Zakroysky P, Marler S, Wagner A, Wong T, Macklin EA, Veenstra-VanderWeele J. A randomized, placebo controlled trial of metformin for the treatment of overweight induced by antipsychotic medication in young people with ASD. JAMA Psychiatry. 2016, 73(9), 928-937.
- Hartley SL, Handen BL, Devenny DA, , Hardison R, Mihaila I, Price JC, Cohen AD, Klunk WE, Mailick MR, Johnson SC, Bradley T. Christian. Cognitive functioning in relation to the accumulation of brain -amyloid in healthy adults with Down syndrome. Brain, 2014, 137, 2556-2563. PMID:24993958.
- Handen B, Cohen A, Umapathy C, Bulova P, Cannon SA, Cohen WI, Mathis CA, Price JC, Klunk WE. Imaging brain amyloid in non-demented young adults with Down syndrome using PiB-PET. Alzheimer's & Dementia, 2012, 8, 496-501.
Pitt Psychiatry Awarded $11.5M National Institute of Mental Health Center Grant Focused on Investigating Emotional and Mental Health in Autistic Adults
The National Institute of Mental Health has awarded the University of Pittsburgh Department of Psychiatry an Autism Center of Excellence (P50) grant to fund “Mental Health in Autistic Adults: An RDoC Approach.” The University of Pittsburgh Autism Center of Excellence (ACE) will be led by Carla Mazefsky, PhD (Professor of Psychiatry, Psychology, and Clinical and Translational Science). The University of Pittsburgh...
The Services for Teens at Risk (STAR)-Center 2021 Conference: “Preventing Suicide in Children and Youth: Building Resilience in the Face of Adversity”
The Services for Teens at Risk (STAR)-Center, part of UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH)’s Child and Adolescent Services, is a nationally recognized suicide prevention program that combines clinical and outreach services designed to combat the problem of child and adolescent suicide. The annual STAR-Center conference presents best practices in clinical care, incorporated into practical guidelines for...
$100M+ National Institute on Aging Grant Awarded to Pitt Psychiatry to Investigate Connections Between Down Syndrome and Alzheimer’s Disease
Benjamin Handen, PhD (Professor of Psychiatry), is contact principal investigator (PI) on a newly awarded National Institute of Health (NIH) MPI U19 grant with a budget of $109 million across five years. The project is funded by the National Institute on Aging, the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, and the INCLUDE (INvestigation of Co-occurring conditions across the...
Accumulation of Amyloid Beta in Down Syndrome and Early-onset Alzheimer’s Follows a Different Path Than Late-onset Buildup
The brains of people with early-onset Alzheimer’s and Down syndrome share a distinct pattern of amyloid buildup that is not seen in late-onset Alzheimer’s disease. Future studies on the origin of this unique pattern could reveal important mechanisms of amyloid beta accumulation and possibly targets for early intervention. People with early-onset Alzheimer's disease often develop symptoms of cognitive decline in...