Amelia L Versace, MD
Education & Training
- Versace A, Sharma V, Bertocci MA, Bebko G, Iyengar S, Dwojak A, Bonar L, Perlman SB, Schirda C, Travis M, Gill MK, Diwadkar VA, Sunshine JL, Holland SK, Kowatch RA, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Frazier TW, Arnold LE, Fristad MA, Youngstrom EA, Horwitz SM, Findling RL, Phillips ML. Using Machine Learning and Surface Reconstruction to Accurately Differentiate Different Trajectories of Mood and Energy Dysregulation in Youth. PLoS One. 2017 Jul 6;12(7).
- Versace A, Acuff H, Bertocci MA, Bebko G, Almeida JR, Perlman SB, Leemans A, Schirda C, Aslam H, Dwojak A, Bonar L, Travis M, Gill MK, Demeter C, Diwadkar VA, Sunshine JL, Holland SK, Kowatch RA, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Horwitz SM, Frazier TW, Arnold LE, Fristad MA, Youngstrom EA, Findling RL, Phillips ML. White matter structure in youth with behavioral and emotional dysregulation disorders: a probabilistic tractographic study. JAMA Psychiatry. 2015;72(4):367-76. Epub 2015/02/26. doi: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2014.2170. PubMed PMID: 25715064; PMCID: PMC4415624.
- Versace A, Andreazza AC, Young LT, Fournier JC, Almeida JR, Stiffler RS, Lockovich JC, Aslam HA, Pollock MH, Park H, Nimgaonkar VL, Kupfer DJ, Phillips ML. Elevated serum measures of lipid peroxidation and abnormal prefrontal white matter in euthymic bipolar adults: toward peripheral biomarkers of bipolar disorder. Mol Psychiatry. 2014;19(2):200-8. Epub 2013/01/30. doi: 10.1038/mp.2012.188. PubMed PMID: 23358158; PMCID: PMC3640681.
- Versace A, Thompson WK, Zhou D, Almeida JR, Hassel S, Klein CR, Kupfer DJ, Phillips ML. Abnormal left and right amygdala-orbitofrontal cortical functional connectivity to emotional faces: state versus trait vulnerability markers of depression in bipolar disorder. Biol Psychiatry. 2010;67(5):422-31. Epub 2010/02/18. doi: 10.1016/j.biopsych.2009.11.025. PubMed PMID: 20159144; PMCID: PMC2835157.
- Versace A, Ladouceur CD, Romero S, Birmaher B, Axelson DA, Kupfer DJ, Phillips ML. Altered development of white matter in youth at high familial risk for bipolar disorder: a diffusion tensor imaging study. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2010;49(12):1249-59, 59.e1. Epub 2010/11/26. doi: 10.1016/j.jaac.2010.09.007. PubMed PMID: 21093774; PMCID: PMC2996850.
Molecular Psychiatry: White Matter Abnormalities Associated with ADHD Outcomes in Adulthood
Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), the most common childhood neurodevelopmental disorder, is characterized by inattention and/or hyperactivity and impulsivity that are inappropriate to the developmental stage and interfere with daily life. Two of these symptoms, hyperactivity and impulsivity, tend to decline with age. However, inattention symptoms more often persist into adulthood, even among adults...
New Research on Parenting and Early Childhood Mental Health
Biological Psychiatry: Patterns of Infant Amygdala Connectivity Mediate the Impact of High Caregiver Affect on Reducing Infant Smiling: Discovery and Replication Research has shown that during a baby’s first months of life, mood disorders and emotional instability in caregivers are associated with lower positive emotionality (smiling, laughter, high pleasure) and higher negative emotionality (frequent crying...
New Findings Published in Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging on the Neural Substrates of Inhibitory Control in ADHD
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is characterized by impairing cognitive and behavioral symptoms including inattention, hyperactivity or restlessness, and impulsivity, which interfere with important activities of daily functioning for children and adults. While ADHD is most common in young people, the disorder can continue beyond childhood in 15–35% of those affected. Moreover, many individuals with...
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Promotes Amelia Versace, MD, to Associate Professor of Psychiatry
We are delighted to announce that Amelia Versace, MD, has been promoted to Associate Professor of Psychiatry by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Dr. Versace earned her MD from the University of Verona School of Medicine in Italy, where she also completed her residency, as well as predoctoral and postdoctoral training. Dr. Versace then joined the University of Pittsburgh to conduct a one-year...