Education & Training
- Chase HW, Kumar P, Eickhoff S, Dombrovski AY. Reinforcement learning models and their neural correlates: an activation likelihood estimation meta-analysis. Cognitive, Affective and Behavioral Neuroscience, 2015 Jun;15(2):435459. PMCID: PMC4437864.
- Dombrovski AY, Szanto K, Clark L, Aizenstein HJ, Chase HW, Reynolds 3rd CF, Siegle, GJ. Corticostriatothalamic Reward Prediction Error Signals and Executive Control in Late-Life Depression. Psychological Medicine, 2015 May; 45(7):14131424. PMCID: PMC4380546.
- Dombrovski AY, Szanto K., Clark L, Reynolds 3rd CF, Siegle, GJ. Reward signals, impulsivity, and attempted suicide in late-life depression. JAMA Psychiatry, 2013 Aug 7
- Dombrovski AY, Szanto K, Siegle GJ, Wallace ML, Forman SD, Sahakian B, Reynolds CF 3rd, Clark L. Lethal forethought: delayed reward discounting differentiates high- and low-lethality suicide attempts in old age. Biol Psychiatry. 2011 Jul;70(2):138-144.
- Dombrovski AY, Clark L, Siegle GJ, Butters M, Ichikawa N, Sahakian B, Szanto K.. Reward/Punishment reversal learning in older suicide attempters. Am J Psychiatry. 2010 Jun:167(6):699-707.
Clinical InterestsSelected Clinical Publications & Products
- Dombrovski AY, Cyranowski JM, Mulsant BH, Houck PR, Buysse DJ, Andreescu C, Thase ME, Mallinger AG, Frank E. Which symptoms predict recurrence of depression in women treated with maintenance interpersonal psychotherapy? Depress Anxiety 2008;25(12):1060-1066
- Dombrovski AY, Lenze EJ, Dew MA, Mulsant BH, Pollock BG, Houck PR, Reynolds CF. Maintenance treatment for old-age depression preserves health-related quality of life: a randomized controlled trial of paroxetine and interpersonal psychotherapy. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007 Sep;55(9):1325-1332.
- Dombrovski AY, Mulsant BH, Houck PR, Mazumdar S, Lenze EJ, Andreescu C, Cyranowski JM, Reynolds CF. Residual symptoms and recurrence during maintenance treatment of late-life depression. J Affect Disord. 2007 Nov;103(1-3):77-82
- Dombrovski AY, Blakesley-Ball RE, Mulsant BH, Mazumdar S, Houck PR, Szanto K, Reynolds, CF. Speed of improvement in sleep disturbance and anxiety compared to core mood symptoms during acute treatment of depression in old age. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2006 Jun;14(6):550-554
- Dombrovski AY, Mulsant BH, Haskett RF, Prudic J, Begley A, Sackeim H. Predictors of remission after ECT in unipolar major depression. J Clin Psychiatry. 2005 Aug;66(8):1043-1049.
- Dombrovski AY, Hallquist MN. The Decision Neuroscience Perspective on Suicidal Behavior: Evidence and Hypotheses. Current Opinion in Psychiatry, October 14, 2016.
- Dombrovski AY, Mulsant BH. ECT: the preferred treatment for severe depression in late life. International Psychogeriatrics 19(1):10-14, Published online by Cambridge University Press 13 Dec 2006.
- Dombrovski AY, Szanto K. Prevention of suicide in the elderly. Annals of Long-Term Care: Clinical Care and Aging; 13(11), 2005
- Dombrovski AY, Rosenstock J. Bridging general medicine and psychiatry: providing general medical and preventive care for the severely mentally ill. Current Opinion in Psychiatry 17(6):523-529, November 2004.
Current Pitt Psychiatry Research on Suicide Recognized by the National Institute of Mental Health
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) has recognized recent Pitt Psychiatry research on suicide as a “Notable NIMH Grant.” “2020 Spring Inside NIMH” featured “Notable NIMH Grants” among its Director’s Highlights. Notable grants are a selection of the NIMH’s recently funded projects that exemplify the Institute’s efforts to accelerate research on mental illness, and to advance the NIMH Strategic Plan for...
Now in Neuropsychopharmacology: How Impulsivity and Disrupted Decision-Making Relate to Suicidal Behavior
Research has demonstrated that impaired decision-making is a key factor in the onset of suicidal behavior and can manifest as difficulty choosing between two similarly valued options or as impulsivity in decision-making. To better understand the potential relationship between decision-making and suicidal behavior, scientists have examined the neural underpinnings of each and found disrupted ventromedial prefrontal...
Impairment of Learning from Experience and Making Value-Based Choice in Suicidal Behavior
Suicidal behavior is often misunderstood as a strategic decision that follows a thorough evaluation of circumstances, alternative solutions and possible deterrents. Yet, clinicians know that those at-risk for suicide may not reliably assess the proportion of triggering circumstances relative to the impact of the suicidal act. Suicide can, at times, be especially difficult to understand because although it may...
Placebo Antidepressant Treatment Reinforced by Neurofeedback Improves Mood via Prefrontal Cortex
Placebo responses are common in clinical trials of depression treatments. However, how the expectation of treatment benefits patients is not well understood, in part because it is challenging to simulate these expectations in experimental designs. In an article appearing in Translational Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry researchers Assistant Professor Marta Peciña, MD, PhD, and Associate Professor Alexandre...