Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Javitt DC & Sweet RA. Auditory dysfunction in schizophrenia: Integrating clinical and basic features. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2015 Aug 20;16(9):535-50. PMCID: PMC4692466
- Murray PS, Kumar S, DeMichele-Sweet MA, Sweet RA. Psychosis in Alzheimer's disease. Biol Psychiatry. 2014 Apr 1;75(7):542-52. PMID: 24103379 PMCID: PMC4036443
- Shelton MA, Newman JT, Gu H, Sampson AR, Fish KN, MacDonald ML, Moyer CE, DiBitetto JV, Dorph-Petersen KA, Penzes P, Lewis DA, Sweet RA. Loss of microtubule-associated protein 2 immunoreactivity linked to dendritic spine loss in schizophrenia. Biol Psychiatry. 2015 Sep 15;78(6):374-85. PMCID: PMC4520801
- MacDonald ML, Ding Y, Newman J, Hemby S, Penzes P, Lewis DA, Yates NA, Sweet RA. Altered glutamate protein co-expression network topology linked to spine loss in the auditory cortex of schizophrenia. Biol Psychiatry. 2015 Jun 1;77(11):959-68. PMCID: PMC4428927
- DeMichele-Sweet MAA, Weamer EA, Klei L, Vrana DR, Hollingshead DJ, Seltman HJ, Sims R, Foroud T, Hernandez I, Moreno-Grau S, Trraga L, Boada M, Ruiz A, Williams J, Mayeux R, Lopez OL, Sibille EL, Kamboh MI, Devlin B, Sweet RA. Genetic Risk for Schizophrenia and Psychosis in Alzheimer Disease. Mol Psychiatry, 2017. PMCID: Pending.
“This summer has been one of the most transformative times of my life”: The 10th Annual Center for Translational Mental Health Research Undergraduate Research Program
This summer marks the 10th year of the Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program, funded by the NIMH Conte Center for Translational Mental Health Research . The competitive 10-week summer program provides undergraduate students studying neuroscience, biology and psychology, among other fields, the opportunity to conduct hands-on, cutting-edge neuroscience research under the mentorship of clinical and basic...
Meryl Butters, PhD, Wins Philip Troen, MD, Mentoring Award & Pitt Med Student Josh Krivinko Is Recognized for Excellence in Longitudinal Research
We are delighted to announce that Meryl Butters, PhD , Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Translational Science won the Philip Troen, MD, Excellence in Medical Student Research Mentoring Award at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine annual Scholars Day. This prestigious award is presented to a Longitudinal Research Project (LRP) mentor of a graduating Pitt Med student in recognition for outstanding...
American College of Psychiatrists Recognizes Dr. Robert Sweet’s Significant Contributions to the Field with Award for Research in Geriatric Psychiatry
The American College of Psychiatrists has presented Robert Sweet, MD with the Award for Research in Geriatric Psychiatry for his major contributions to the field. Dr. Sweet, UPMC Endowed Professor in Psychiatric Neuroscience and Professor of Neurology and Clinical and Translational Science , is recognized internationally for his investigation of the mechanisms which lead to the generation of psychotic symptoms that...
Department of Psychiatry Provides Mentorship and Hands On Research Experience to Help Young Physician-Scientists Build Successful Careers in Psychiatric Neuroscience
Early exposure to cutting-edge research and hands-on experiences in laboratories is crucial to preparing the next generation of physician-scientists for successful careers in psychiatric neuroscience research. It also can lead to transformative discoveries that ultimately improve the lives of individuals with mental illness. The Department of Psychiatry is an international leader in helping young scientists learn...