Howard J Aizenstein, MD, PhD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Karim, H. T., et al. \Intrinsic functional connectivity in late-life depression: trajectories over the course of pharmacotherapy in remitters and non-remitters.\" Molecular psychiatry 22.3 (2017): 450."
- Lim HK, Nebes R, Snitz B, Cohen A, Mathis C, Price J, Weissfeld L, Klunk W & Aizenstein HJ. (2014) Regional amyloid burden and intrinsic connectivity networks in cognitively normal elderly subjects. Brain. 137: 3327-3338. PMCID: PMC4240287
- Aizenstein HJ, Andreescu C, Edelman KL, Cochran JL, Price J, Butters MA, Karp J, Patel M, & Reynolds CF 3rd. (2011) fMRI correlates of white matter hyperintensities in late-life depression. The American Journal of Psychiatry. 168(10):1075-82. PMCID: PMC3656408
- Aizenstein HJ, Nebes RD, Saxton JA, Price JC, Mathis CA, Tsopelas ND, Ziolko S, James JA, Snitz B, Houck P, Bi W, Cohen A, Lopresti BJ, DeKosky ST, Halligan E, & Klunk WE. (2008) Frequent amyloid deposition without significant cognitive impairment among the elderly. Archives of Neurology. 65(11):1509-17. PMCID: PMC2636844
- Aizenstein HJ, Butters MA, Figurski JL, Meltzer CC, Stenger VA, Reynolds CF 3rd, Carter CS. (2004) Prefrontal and striatal activation during sequence learning in geriatric depression. Presented at the Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA.
The Department of Psychiatry Announces a New Bioengineering in Psychiatry Predoctoral Training Program
The Department of Psychiatry is pleased to announce a new, interdisciplinary predoctoral training program, supported by the National Institute of Mental Health. The Bioengineering in Psychiatry Training Program will prepare students with backgrounds in engineering and other quantitative sciences for careers in mental health research. The program, which capitalizes on existing University of Pittsburgh research...
Dr. Howard Aizenstein Wins Mathematics Alumni Award for Outstanding Professional Achievement from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Howard J. Aizenstein, MD, PhD , Department of Psychiatry Charles F. Reynolds III and Ellen G. Detlefsen Endowed Chair in Geriatric Psychiatry and Professor of Bioengineering and Clinical and Translational Science , was selected to receive the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) Department of Mathematics 2019 Mathematics Alumni Award for Outstanding Professional Achievement . Dr. Aizenstein attended...
Investigators in the Geriatric Psychiatry Neuroimaging Lab Publish First Study to Explore Cerebral Blood Flow Correlates of Worry Induction in Late Life
Published in Translational Psychiatry Severe worry arises from a complex blend of maladaptive affective and cognitive processes. Contrary to other forms of anxiety, there is no consensus in the field regarding the neural basis of worry. No previous study has looked at cerebral blood flow changes associated specifically with in-scanner induction and reappraisal of worry. In the first study of its kind, Department of...
Department Faculty Members and Student Researcher Receive ACNP Travel Awards
The American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP) selected three faculty members (Drs. Jay Fournier , Danella Hafeman and Judith Morgan ) and a Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) student (Dr. Wonjae Chung) in the Department of Psychiatry to receive travel awards. ACNP annually selects distinguished young scientists in the field of neuropsychopharmacology to receive these awards, which offer an...