Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Datta D, Arion D, Roman KM, Volk DW, Lewis DA: Altered expression of ARP2/3 complex signaling pathway genes in prefrontal layer 3 pyramidal cells in schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry 174:163-171, 2017
- Chung W, Wills ZP, Fish KN, Lewis DA: Developmental pruning of excitatory synaptic inputs to parvalbumin interneurons in monkey prefrontal cortex. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 114:E629-E637, 2017
- Arion D, Corradi J, Tang S, Datta D, Boothe F, He A, Cacace A, Zaczek R, Albright C, Tseng G, Lewis DA: Distinctive transcriptome alterations of prefrontal pyramidal neurons in schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder. Mol Psychiatry 20:1397-1405, 2015
- Kimoto S, Zaki MM, Bazmi HH, Lewis DA: Altered markers of cortical Gamma-aminobutyric acid neuronal activity in schizophrenia: Role of the NARP gene. JAMA Psychiatry 72:747-756, 2015
- Verrico CD, Gu H, Peterson M, Sampson AR, Lewis DA: Repeated Gamma 9-tetrahydrocannabinol exposure in adolescent monkeys: Persistent effects selective for spatial working memory. Am J Psychiatry 171:416-425, 2014
- Bechtold J, Hipwell A, Lewis DA, Loeber R, Pardini D: Concurrent and sustained cumulative effects of adolescent marijuana use on subclinical psychotic symptoms. Am J Psychiatry 173:781-789, 2016
- Cho RY, Walker CP, Polizzotto NR, Wozny TA, Fissell C, Chen CA, Lewis DA: Development of sensory gamma oscillations and cross-frequency coupling from childhood to early adulthood. Cereb Cortex 25:1509-1518, 2015
- Lewis DA: Cortical circuit dysfunction and cognitive deficits in schizophrenia: Implications for preemptive interventions. Eur J Neurosci 35:1871-1878, 2012
- Frankle WG, Cho RY, Mason S, Chen C, Himes M, Walker C, Lewis DA, Mathis CA, Narendran R: [11C]flumazenil binding is increased in a dose-dependent manner with tiagabine induced elevations in GABA levels. PLoS One 7: e32443, 2012
- Fertig AM, Tew JD, Douaihy AB, Nash KC, Solai LK, Travis MJ, Zippay LB, Matthews KA, Lewis DA: Developing a clinician educator faculty development program: Lessons learned. Acad Psychiatry 41:417-422, 2017
- Gopalan P, Azzam PN, Travis MJ, Schlesinger A, Lewis DA: Longitudinal interdisciplinary neuroscience curriculum. Acad Psychiatry 38:163-167, 2014
Findings by Dr. Marianne Seney et al. Show Opposite Brain Transcriptional Profiles in Men and Women with Major Depressive Disorder
Major depressive disorder (MDD) is a devastating psychiatric disorder and leading cause of disability worldwide. It affects women approximately twice as often as men, and incidence and symptoms differ between the sexes, affirming the importance of studying brain pathology of depression in both men and women. Women are three times as likely to have atypical depression, with hypersomnia and weight gain, suggesting...
Findings by Dr. Guillermo Gonzalez-Burgos and Dr. David Lewis Indicate that NMDAR Activation Enhances Inhibition of PCs by PVBCs
Understanding the mechanisms by which N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors (NMDARs) regulate cortical circuit function is crucial for testing hypotheses that NMDAR hypofunction is involved in the pathophysiology of schizophrenia. Recent studies reveal that presynaptic NMDARs control transmitter release at cortical synapses, suggesting novel mechanisms of NMDAR action in cortical circuits. If presynaptic NMDARs enhance...
Enwright et al. Offer New Insights into Cell Type-Specific Molecular Alterations in Schizophrenia
Published in Molecular Psychiatry Department of Psychiatry members John Enwright, PhD; Dominique Arion, PhD; and David A. Lewis, MD, along with colleagues from other departments, have identified cell type-specific molecular alterations in schizophrenia, which could propel strategies for identifying novel therapeutic targets. The researchers investigated the molecular alterations associated with schizophrenia at the...