Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Schoenrock SA, Kumar P, Gomez AA, Dickson PE, Kim SM, Bailey L, Neira S, Riker KD,Farrington J, Gaines CH, Khan S, Wilcox TD, Roy TA, Leonardo MR, Olson AA, Gagnon LH,Philip VM, Valdar W, de Villena FP, Jentsch JD, Logan RW, McClung CA, Robinson DL,Chesler EJ, Tarantino LM. Characterization of genetically complex Collaborative Cross mousestrains that model divergent locomotor activating and reinforcing properties of cocaine.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2020. Epub 2020/01/04. doi: 10.1007/s00213-019-05429-3.PubMed PMID: 31897574.
- Paden W, Barko K, Puralewski R, Cahill KM, Huo Z, Shelton MA, Tseng GC, Logan RW, Seney ML. Sex differences in adult mood and in stress-inducedtranscriptional coherence across mesocorticolimbic circuitry. Translational Psychiatry. 2020;Feb 6;10(1):59. doi: 10.1038/s41398-020-0742-9. PubMed PMID: 32066699.
- Logan RW, Parekh PK, Kaplan GN, Becker-Krail DD, Williams WP, 3rd, Yamaguchi S,Yoshino J, Shelton MA, Zhu X, Zhang H, Waplinger S, Fitzgerald E, Oliver-Smith J, SundarveluP, Enwright JF, 3rd, Huang YH, McClung CA. NAD+ cellular redox and SIRT1 regulate thediurnal rhythms of tyrosine hydroxylase and conditioned cocaine reward. Mol Psychiatry.2019;24(11):1668-84. Epub 2018/05/08. doi: 10.1038/s41380-018-0061-1. PubMed PMID:29728703; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6215755.
- Seney ML, Cahill K, Enwright JF, 3rd, Logan RW, Huo Z, Zong W, Tseng G, McClung CA.Diurnal rhythms in gene expression in the prefrontal cortex in schizophrenia. Nat Commun.2019;10(1):3355. Epub 2019/08/11. doi: 10.1038/s41467-019-11335-1. PubMed PMID:31399567; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6689017.
- Logan RW, McClung CA. Rhythms of life: circadian disruption and brain disorders across thelifespan. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2019;20(1):49-65. Epub 2018/11/22. doi: 10.1038/s41583-018-0088-y. PubMed PMID: 30459365; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6338075.
Diverse Scientists Worldwide Join the Inaugural Summer SWIM, a Virtual Sleep & Circadian Science Workshop
In August 2020, 74 scientists from five continents joined the Department of Psychiatry’s virtual Summer SWIM (Sleep and Circadian Workshop on Indispensable Methods), led by Martica Hall, PhD (Professor of Psychiatry, Psychology and Clinical and Translational Science), and Daniel Buysse, MD (UPMC Professor of Sleep Medicine (Professor of Psychiatry and Clinical and Translational Science), of the University of...
Pitt Psychiatry Awarded $14.8M National Institute on Drug Abuse Center Grant Focused on the Role of Sleep and Circadian Rhythms in Substance Abuse
The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) has awarded Pitt Psychiatry a Center of Excellence (P50) grant to fund the Center for Adolescent Reward, Rhythms and Sleep (CARRS). The CARRS Center will be led by Colleen McClung, PhD (Professor of Psychiatry and Clinical and Translational Science) and Daniel Buysse, MD (UPMC Professor of Sleep Medicine and Professor of Psychiatry and Clinical and Translational Science)...
Ryan Logan, PhD, Honored with International Behavioural and Neural Genetics Society Young Scientist Award
We are delighted to announce that Ryan Logan, PhD, has been awarded the 2020 International Behavioural and Neural Genetics Society (IBANGS) Young Scientist Award. The Young Scientist Award honors an early-career investigator in the field of behavioral and neural genetics. When selecting the recipient for this prestigious honor, IBANGS considers the scientific importance of research discovered, record of achievement...
Now in The Journal of Neuroscience: Circadian Protein NPAS2 Expression in the Nucleus Accumbens and Cocaine Reward
Disruptions of the circadian clock can contribute to or exacerbate vulnerability to substance use disorder in some populations. The laboratory of Dr. Colleen McClung (Professor of Psychiatry and Clinical and Translational Science) investigates the mechanisms by which circadian genes that regulate mood and impulsivity are involved in the risk for substance abuse. In a recent study published in the Journal of...