Oommen K Mammen, MD
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
3811 O'Hara St.
Education & Training
University of Mysore, Kasturba Medical College
Psychiatry, SUNY Health Sciences Center
Child Psychiatry, Boston Children's Hospital, Harvard Medical School
Child Psychiatry Research, Bradley Hospital, Brown University
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (Child and Adolescent Psychiatry)
Research InterestsSelected Research Publications & Products
- Stocker RP, Paul BT, Mammen O, Khan H, Cieply MA, Germain A. Effects of blast exposure on subjective and objective sleep measures in combat veterans with and without PTSD. Journal of clinical sleep medicine: JCSM: official publication of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. 2016 Jan 1;12(1):49.
- Germain, A., Richardson, R., Stocker, R., Mammen, O., Hall, M., Bramoweth, A., Begley, A., Rode, N., Frank, E., Haas, G., Buysse, D. (2014). Treatment for Insomnia in Combat-Exposed OEF/OIF/OND Military Veterans: Preliminary Randomized Controlled Trial, Behaviour Research and Therapy, 61, 78-88.
- Germain, A., James, J., Insana, S., Herrings, R., Mammen, O., Price, J., & Nofzinger, E. (2013). A window into the invisible wound of war: Functional neuroimaging of REM sleep in returning combat veterans with PTSD, Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging, 211 (2) 176-179.
- Germain, A., Richardson, R., Moul, D.E., Mammen, O., Haas, G., Forman, S.D, Rode, N., Begley, A., & Eric A. Nofzinger, EA. (2012) \Placebo-controlled comparison of prazosin and cognitive-behavioral treatments for sleep disturbances in US Military Veterans\" Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 72 (2), 89-96.
- Mammen, O.K., Kolko, D.J., & Pilkonis, P.A. (2002) Negative affect and parental aggression inchild physical abuse. Child Abuse and Neglect, 26, 407-424."
Mood and anxiety disorders; PTSD; Borderline personality disorderSelected Clinical Publications & Products
- Harper, G., Mammen, O. Fulminant Somatization: (2014). Medical Investigation in Trauma Survivors. Adolescent Psychiatry, 4 (2) 207-211.
- Ng, F., Mammen, O., Wilting, I., Sachs, G.S., Ferrier, I.N., Cassidy, F., Beaulieu, S., Yatham, L.N., & Berk, M. (2009) The International Society for Bipolar Disorders (ISBD) consensus guidelines for the safety monitoring of bipolar disorder treatments, Bipolar Disorders, (11), 559-595).
- Mammen, O.K., Pilkonis, P.A., & Kolko, D.J. (2000) Anger and parent-to-child aggression inmood and anxiety disorders. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 41, 461-468.
- Mammen, O., Shear, M.K., Pilkonis, P.A., Kolko, D.J., Thase, M.E., & Greeno, C. Anger Attacks: Correlates and significance of an underrecognized symptom. (1999) Journal of Clinical Psychiatry , 60, 633-42.
- Mammen, O.K., Shear , M.K., Jennings, K., & Popper, S. Case Study: Ego-dystonic anger attacks in mothers of young children (1997). Journal of the American Academy of Child andAdolescent Psychiatry, 36, 1374-1377. Reprinted in Annual Progress in Child Psychiatryand Child Development (1998).
Resident education and training
Clinical Insights: Communicating with Families when Treating Chronically Suicidal Patients
In a recent General Hospital Psychiatry paper, Oommen Mammen, MD (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry), and James Tew, MD (Associate Professor of Psychiatry), described the importance of communicating about suicide risk with families of individuals with borderline personality disorder who are chronically suicidal. We spoke with Dr. Mammen, the paper’s lead author, about how to help families arrive at a shared...