Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Hall M, Mulukutla S, Kline CD, Samuelsson LB, Taylor BJ, Thayer JF, Krafty RT, Frank E, Kupfer DJ: Objective sleep duration is prospectively associated with endothelial health. Sleep, 40(1):zsw003, 2017.
- Taylor BJ, Matthews KA, Hasler BP, Roecklein KA, Kline CE, Buysse DJ, Kravitz HM, Tiani AG, Harlow SD, Hall M. Bedtime variability and metabolic health in midlife women: The SWAN Sleep Study. Sleep, 39(2):457-65, 2016.
- Hall M, Casement MD, Troxel WM, Matthews KA, Bromberger J, Kravitz HM, Krafty RT, Buysse DJ: Chronic stress is prospectively associated with sleep in midlife women: The SWAN sleep study. Sleep, 38(10):1645-54, 2015.
- Hall M, Matthews K, Kravitz H, Gold E, Buysse DJ, Bromberger J, Owens J, Sowers MF. Race and financial strain are independent correlates of sleep in mid-life women: The SWAN Sleep Study. Sleep, 32(1):73-82, 2009.
- Hall M, Vasko R, Buysse DJ, Ombao H, Chen Q, Cashmere JD, Kupfer DJ, Thayer JF. Acute stress affects heart rate variability during sleep. Psychosomatic Medicine, 66:56-62, 2004.
COVID-19 Coping Strategies from Pitt Psychiatry
Physical distancing, stay-at-home orders and economic uncertainty resulting from the current COVID-19 pandemic have raised behavioral health concerns for many people. Below is a selection of strategies from Department of Psychiatry faculty and trainees on how to cope with the drastic alteration of our home, social and professional lives. For Kids and Adolescents Rameshwari Tumuluru, MD, an expert in helping...
New Research in Journals of Gerontology: Medical Sciences: The Multidimensional Sleep Domain Is a Significant Predictor of Mortality
Sleep is an important component of overall physical and mental well-being, and can predict important health outcome in older adults, including mortality. Sleep is often studied as a single construct represented by duration or the presence/absence of a disorder. However, scientists including Meredith Wallace, PhD, Daniel Buysse, MD, and Martica Hall, PhD, believe that sleep is a multidimensional construct, composed...
Meet the Neurochicks: This Group of Senior Faculty Members Provide Each Other Support, Encouragement and Good Research Ideas
“During the whole of my training, I had only one female mentor,” remembers Mary Phillips, MD MD (Cantab) (Pittsburgh Foundation-Emmerling Endowed Chair in Psychotic Disorders and Professor of Psychiatry and Clinical and Translational Science). “If you never see a woman as a leader, you risk internalizing the belief that women can’t succeed in that role.” Dr. Phillips counts herself among the Neurochicks, an...
SLEEP Editor’s Choice: How Empirically Differentiating “Good” from “Poor” Sleep Relates to Cardiometabolic Health
The paper described below was selected as a SLEEP Editor’s Choice. Sleep can play an important role in overall mental and physical health. A multidimensional sleep health score assesses sleep through six dimensions: sleep duration, timing, regularity, efficiency and quality, and daytime alertness. Although this score helps scientists create a nuanced sleep health profile, which is critical to analyzing sleep...