Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
Research InterestsSelected Research Publications & Products
- Stowell KR, Ghinassi FA, Fabian TJ, Nash KC, Haskett RF. An intervention to promote evidence-based prescribing at a large psychiatric hospital. Psychiatric Services. 2009;60:294-296. PMID: 19252040.
- Hackman AL, Stowell KR. Transitioning clients from assertive community treatment to community mental health services. Community Mental Health Journal. 2009;45:1-5. PMID: 19130222.
- Stowell KR, Chang CCH, Vander Bilt J, Stoehr GP, Ganguli M. Sustained benzodiazepine use in a community sample of older adults. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2008;56:2285-2291. PMID: 19093928.
- Stowell KR, Hughes NP, Rozel JS. Violence in the emergency department. Psychiatric Clinics of North America. 2017;39:557-566.
- Rozel JS, Stowell KR, Thorkelson GD. Diagnosis and management of agitation in children and adolescents. In: Zeller S, Nordstrom K, Wilson M, eds., Textbook of Agitation. New York: Cambridge University Press; 2017.
- Stowell KR, Jain A, Wetzel J. Psychiatric malpractice. Pennsylvania Psychiatric Society Statewide Education Meeting; November 5, 2016 (Lafayette Hill, PA).
- Stowell KR. Forensic Issues in Emergency Psychiatry: Capacity to Sign Out Against Medical Advice. National Update on Behavioral Emergencies; December 8, 2016 (Las Vegas, NV).
- Stowell KR, Florence P, Harman HJ, Glick RL. Psychiatric evaluation of the agitated patient: Consensus statement of the American Association for Emergency Psychiatry Project BETA Psychiatric Evaluation Work Group. Western Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2012;13:11-16.
Western Psychiatric Hospital’s New Psychiatric Emergency Services Division Enhances the Patient and Visitor Experience
UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital (WPH) has a brand-new space for emergency psychiatric care and evaluation. The renovated Western Psychiatric Hospital Psychiatric Emergency Services (WPES) division enhances the comfort of WPH visitors with a bright, inviting layout. The new WPES was designed with careful attention to detail to optimize the visitor experience, including: An expanded space that provides greater...
Department Faculty Appointed to New Leadership Roles at WPIC
Department faculty members Gina Perez, MD and Keith Stowell, MD have accepted associate chief roles in the Behavioral Health Services Line. Dr. Perez, Assistant Professor, has been appointed Associate Chief, Behavioral Health Network, and Dr. Stowell, Assistant Professor, is Associate Chief, Emergency & Crisis Services.In her new role, Dr. Perez will oversee the Behavioral Health Services at UPMC Network hospitals...