Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Karp JF, DiNapoli EA, Wetherell J, Bolon C, Rodriguez E, Shega J, Weiner DK. Deconstructing Chronic Low Back Pain in the Older Adults Step by Step Evidence and Expert-Based Recommendations for Evaluation and Treatment: Part VIII: Anxiety. Pain Medicine. 2016 Aug;17(8):1423-35. PMID: 27346887
- Karp JF, Dew MA, Wahed AS, Fitzgerald K, Bolon CA, Weiner DK, Morse JQ, Albert SM, Butters MA, Gildengers AG, Reynolds CF III: Challenges and Solutions for Depression Prevention Research: Methodology for a Depression Prevention Trial for Older Adults with Knee Arthritis and Emotional Distress. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2016 Jun;24(6):433-43. PMCID: PMC4870147
- Karp JF, Yu L, Friedly J, Amtmann D, Pilkonis PA. Negative Affect and Sleep Disturbance May be Associated with Response to Epidural Steroid Injections for Spine-Related Pain. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.2014;95(2):309-15. PMC4008542
- Karp JF, Butters MA, Begley A, Miller MD, Lenze EJ, Blumberberger D, Mulsant B, Reynolds CF. Safety, tolerability, and clinical effect of low-dose buprenorphine for treatment-resistant depression in midlife and older adults. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 2014;75(8):e785-93. PMC4157317.
- Karp JF, Lee C-W, McGovern J, Stoehr G, Chang C-C, Ganguli M. Clinical and Demographic Covariates of Chronic Opioid and Non-Opioid Analgesic Use in Rural-Dwelling Older Adults: The MoVIES Project. International Psychogeriatrics.2013;25(11):1801-10. PMCID: PMC4020176
- Morone N, Schneider M, Karp J, Weiner D. Virtual Patient Simulation: An Older Adults with Chronic Low Back Pain . Produced as part of the University of Pittsburgh Center of Excellence in Pain Education. (http://vpsim.pitt.edu/shell/CaseList_Assignments.aspx)
- Karp JF. Podcast interview with Dr. Joan Cook about state of the science of PTSD in older adults. This accompanies an article Dr. Cook prepared for the American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry for a series I edit entitled Treatment in Geriatric Mental Health: Research in Action. http://www.ajgponline.org/amgp/audio
- Bernstein C, Schneider M, Karp JF, Weiner D. Virtual Patient Simulation: Widespread Pain & Fibromyalgia (Middle-Aged Woman). Produced as part of the University of Pittsburgh Center of Excellence in Pain Education. (http://vpsim.pitt.edu/shell/CaseList_Assignments.aspx)
How Opioids Affect Serotonin-Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor Venlafaxine Treatment for Depression & Chronic Pain in Older Adults
Chronic low back pain and depression are common and frequently co-occurring in late life. Yet treatment can be challenging as these conditions are risk factors for each other, and both interfere with the other’s treatment response. Opioids may be a marker of poor treatment response for both depression and pain. In addition, there is limited evidence of the efficacy of opioids for patients with chronic pain, and...
Catch Up on the UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital Podcast, Psychiatry Advances
Psychiatry Advances, the Department of Psychiatry podcast launched earlier this year, presents innovative research and patient-centered programs at the cutting edge of psychiatry and the behavioral sciences. The host of Psychiatry Advances is Loren Roth, MD, MPH, Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry. If you aren’t caught up with the latest, below are the episodes currently available to stream from the...
How Pitt Psychiatry Meets the Complex and Evolving Behavioral Health Care Needs of Older Patients
Skilled and compassionate clinicians and researchers at the Pitt Department of Psychiatry have developed innovative models of care in geriatric psychiatry, as well as training programs that prepare behavioral health care providers to deliver treatment tailored to the specific needs of older adults. Two essential components of effective geriatric psychiatry treatment—access and trust—are key concepts that guide our...
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Promotes Jordan Karp, MD, to Professor of Psychiatry
We are delighted to announce that Jordan Karp, MD, has been promoted to the rank of Professor of Psychiatry by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Dr. Karp is an internationally recognized expert in the field of geriatric psychiatry. He earned his MD from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, and after completing residency training in psychiatry at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, he returned...